Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What's a reasonable rate (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1475689)

Fishie Kisses 12-28-2012 02:28 PM

What's a reasonable rate

for overnight childcare? I am planning to offer childcare for New Year's Eve, and am planning to include the option of overnight care, but I'm not sure what to charge. For the basic 8pm-1am I am charging $20 for the first child and $10 per sibling. I know that part is really good for our area. I was thinking $30 for overnight to be picked up by 8am....this is assuming an older child who sleeps through the night. Is that good? Too little? I would serve snacks, allow them to stay up til midnight if they can make it (and if parents are ok with it) and feed them breakfast.

slyeates 12-28-2012 02:34 PM

I think it would depend on when they are dropped off. If it is after dinner and they are dropped off in Jammie's, i think $30 is fair. If you are feeding dinner, changing clothes, etc, etc, I would charge more. Maybe $40 for the first and $20 for additional kiddos.

Kabuki24 12-28-2012 02:46 PM

Re: What's a reasonable rate

First off, I think that is super nice that you are doing that. Second, your rates are reasonable if not low, IMO. I'd easily pay $50 for my kid to stay overnight with someone I totally trust like a DCP.

Fishie Kisses 12-28-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabuki24 (Post 16087384)
First off, I think that is super nice that you are doing that. Second, your rates are reasonable if not low, IMO. I'd easily pay $50 for my kid to stay overnight with someone I totally trust like a DCP.

we are way to broke to do anything, and probably wouldn't anyway lol So I figure it's something I can offer so my friends can go out, plus make some extra money

luvsviola 12-28-2012 03:09 PM

I would do $40 for the overnight. Going rate for a teen sitter here is $10 an hour, and you'd be providing a lot of hours of care, and are more qualified than a 16 year old. I would also up your 8-1 am to at least $25 and $15.

I would also make your morning pick up at 9. If someone was up til 2 or 3 am, they would probably really appreciate an extra hour of sleep.

blackbirdmama*3 12-28-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvsviola (Post 16087453)
I would do $40 for the overnight. Going rate for a teen sitter here is $10 an hour, and you'd be providing a lot of hours of care, and are more qualified than a 16 year old. I would also up your 8-1 am to at least $25 and $15.

I would also make your morning pick up at 9. If someone was up til 2 or 3 am, they would probably really appreciate an extra hour of sleep.

I agree with this. Great idea mama!

cdeweese 12-28-2012 03:20 PM

I think that's an incredible deal! Lucky friends :)

Fishie Kisses 12-28-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvsviola (Post 16087453)

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbirdmama*3 (Post 16087486)
I agree with this. Great idea mama!

thanks!!

Mom2Connor 12-28-2012 05:16 PM

I agree with $40 for the overnight, and 8 does sound really early. My thinking here is that the people picking up after midnight will hopefully be responsible enough to not be drunk when picking up their child. Just a nice night out kind of thing.

the ones wanting the full overnight care are probably the ones who want to stay out late partying it up and drinking to excess. So 8am is going to sound pretty unappealing.

Fishie Kisses 12-28-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2Connor (Post 16087876)
I agree with $40 for the overnight, and 8 does sound really early. My thinking here is that the people picking up after midnight will hopefully be responsible enough to not be drunk when picking up their child. Just a nice night out kind of thing.

the ones wanting the full overnight care are probably the ones who want to stay out late partying it up and drinking to excess. So 8am is going to sound pretty unappealing.

you're probably right lol I moved it to 9. And hopefully my kids are nice and let us nap that afternoon haha