Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What do you feed your toddler when they're sick? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1475701)

chandni3 12-28-2012 03:13 PM

What do you feed your toddler when they're sick?

My 13 month old is sick for the first time ever (other than a mild cold) and she now only nurses once a day. I''m pregnant and my milk is pretty much dried up so it's really only for comfort before bed and maybe a few drops of milk. She has a fever and is cranky and well, just has that sick look. She's less animated, not lethargic, but looks tired. I didn't realize her stomach was upset until after lunch. So dinner is toast with margarine and rice cooked in chicken broth. What do you usually feed your little ones when they're not well?

ETA: Nix the rice. She threw it on the floor, wouldn't try any broth either so just ate a little toast with margarine. She's drinking lots though so not too worried. My husband is getting some bananas for tomorrow.

mibarra 12-28-2012 03:17 PM

Banana, rice, bread/toast, crackers...nothing too strong. Also FLUIDS! ;)

luvsviola 12-28-2012 03:17 PM

Re: What do you feed your toddler when they're sick?

Applesauce, blueberries if she wants them (her favorite), yogurt if she wants it, macaroni and cheese...basically whatever she will eat.

Mom2Connor 12-28-2012 05:18 PM

My mom always taught my the "BRAT" diet when they are sick. Bananas, rice, apples/applesauce, toast

DS usually likes toast or a banana when he's sick and it stays down pretty well.

tallanvor 12-28-2012 05:44 PM

Depends on what they are sick with. If they have an upset stomach, things that are gentle and fairly bland. If sore throat, soft foods. If they have a lot of mucous, we avoid dairy.

my2sweets 12-28-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tallanvor (Post 16087990)
Depends on what they are sick with. If they have an upset stomach, things that are gentle and fairly bland. If sore throat, soft foods. If they have a lot of mucous, we avoid dairy.

This is pretty much what I follow. I also try to steer them away from dairy if they have a high fever. However if they really want to eat something outside these 'guidelines' I will let them. I figure their bodies will 'tell' them what they need/can handle.

Teexie 12-28-2012 06:19 PM

I just make sure she is drinking plenty and offer whatever we are having and offer her favorites (or just bland foods if upset tummy). My DD had a nasty cough + fever recently. I took her to the dr and at that point she had literally eaten nothing for a week. Her dr wasn't concerned because she was still drinking lots. I'd also let her nurse as much as possible...even a couple drops can still help :)

Teddyandnick 12-28-2012 06:46 PM

When both of my boys are sick, they usually love egg noodles cooked in chicken broth. I try not to give them a lot of acidic fruit if they have diarrhea. They always love bananas! If their throats are sore I will blend up some milk, bananas, and some other fruit and make popsicles out of it.

NotLad 12-28-2012 07:09 PM

Depends on the ailment. GI gunk = brat. Upper respiratory = steamy warm stuff

We're dealing with croup right now and after two days he looked at me with his big sad eyes and asked for chic fil a. We had it for lunch and dinner :(

bigmamakelsey 12-28-2012 07:22 PM

Real juice, real juice popsicles, noodle soup, fruit, crackers, plain pasta. If they aren't too stuffy I do yogurt or smoothies.