Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Labor, Delivery & Postpartum (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   Placenta encapsulation (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1475801)

xoxoproverbs31 12-28-2012 10:16 PM

Placenta encapsulation

Hey mommas! I've always been grossed out by the idea of ingesting the life giving organ but I am kind of intrigued by it now. I have done some research and have a bunch of friends who have done it and am now in the process of looking at the side effects. I guess I'm just wondering what experiences the ladies on here have had good and bad.
I do have questions regarding sanitation and state laws since its not FDA approved and OSHA doesn't technically have specific guidelines for it. So because of this, How do these certification "businesses" create the rules and regulations for their licensure programs if its not government approved or recommended and how are they reviewed to make sure everything is up to date/proper. I'm obviously just concerned because it could be a cross contamination issue because the same equipment is used for the process of encapsulation for multiple women. Any resources and personal knowledge from someone who is certified would be grand!

bigmamakelsey 12-28-2012 10:28 PM

Re: Placenta encapsulation

I don't have any idea about laws/sanitation, but I did my own and it was SUPER easy. And free. Cut the membrane off, cut it into pieces, put in on a dryer, stick in a blender, put into capsules. Viola.
I definitely noticed a HUGE difference. With DS1 I did not encapsulate my placenta and had postpartum depression and a low milk supply. With DS2 when I did encapsulate I had ZERO depression. I never ever felt bluesy. My milk supply has rocked (and am eating and drinking just as well as last time.) I would definitely do it again if I were to have another baby.

I also wanted to add that you can also make it into a tincture rather than encapsulate it. It's even easier. You just soak the placenta in grain alcohol.

JennTheMomma 12-29-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoproverbs31 (Post 16088808)
Hey mommas! I've always been grossed out by the idea of ingesting the life giving organ but I am kind of intrigued by it now. I have done some research and have a bunch of friends who have done it and am now in the process of looking at the side effects. I guess I'm just wondering what experiences the ladies on here have had good and bad.
I do have questions regarding sanitation and state laws since its not FDA approved and OSHA doesn't technically have specific guidelines for it. So because of this, How do these certification "businesses" create the rules and regulations for their licensure programs if its not government approved or recommended and how are they reviewed to make sure everything is up to date/proper. I'm obviously just concerned because it could be a cross contamination issue because the same equipment is used for the process of encapsulation for multiple women. Any resources and personal knowledge from someone who is certified would be grand!

I'm a placenta encapsulation professional, I am not certified, and have been doing it for almost 4 years now. I am self taught (by doing my own and practice placents I got from friends).

I can't speak on behalf of the FDA, so I don't know why it isn't approved or what we as professionals would have to do to make it so. Many things are not FDA approved and people do them on a daily basis (even Doctors, cytotec is an induction medication that is not FDA approved for inductions).

As to OSHA, there are standards for cleaning of blood born pathogens. Which is something that I as a professional make sure I follow. Other professionals that I know, including myself, make sure we have very little tools we need to re-use. And that the ones we do re-use we make sure we follow OSHA guidlines in cleaning and sterilization. All the tools that I reuse, which is only the coffee grinder which comes a part so I can sterilize (sp), the dehydration racks and the cutting board. But all of that can be taken a part to be put in a sterilizer, plus cleaning with bleach, hot soapy water, etc. There is a big process in cleaning and that is actually what takes most of the time.

If you're not comfortable with a professional you can do it yourself and it's very easy. Lots of tutorials online in how to do it.

As for personal experince. I did my placenta with ds2. I had PPD with ds1. The recovery, physically, emotionally, mentally, was the opposite with ds2 and I believe part of that has to do with encapsulation (I believe another part of it was having a homebirth and not birthing flat on my back). I had a good milk supply, no baby blues or PPD, lots of energy, no insomnia, etc. I personally recommend it no matter if you do it yourself or not.

1healthylady 01-17-2013 03:57 PM

DH encapsulated my placenta for me. It was such a gift to have him to do it for me. He said he just viewed it as any other organ we would eat, not that we eat lots of organs, but many are delicacies - tongue, heart, etc. My mom was kind of grossed out, but she just stayed out of the kitchen. :giggle2:

I wanted it encapsulated because I have a history of depression. Past a couple random days of baby blues - after my milk came in and again after our moms left and DH was back at work - I never suffered PPD. I had an excellent milk supply (and had to sleep on waterproof pads under my boobs because I kept waking up soaked!). It was cathartic for me too because I had a retained placenta. After the excruciating pain to get the darn thing removed, I was happy I got to see what caused me so much trouble and put it to good use. I only wish we were able to get more of it. They could only salvage about 1/3.

We will do it again with our next baby for sure.

Green Decals 01-17-2013 10:31 PM

I did mine, but not until DS2 was 2 years old (it was in the freezer all that time). I saved most of them for menopause (vacuum sealed in the deep freeze) and the rest are awaiting my next birth any time now. Not ideal, but I have them on hand for the time between birth and when this placenta will be done (hopefully by day 2, 3 at max). It is super easy, I have all of my tools out and ready for the birth. Dehydrator, encapsulator, capsules, coffee grinder, cutting board, knife... I got the encapulator and capsules on Amazon for around $16 I think. The coffee grinder is dedicated for this use, just a cheap $8 deal at the big box store. Cut up, dehydrate, grind, encapsulate, consume... I am really hoping that helps with my milk supply this time!

bai18176 01-17-2013 10:54 PM

I had mine done by a person who works with my midwife, and I thought it was great! I was a little grossed out initially, but it really helped. I've had pretty sever ppd with all my kiddos, and it did help (until I ran out). I had so much energy, and tons of milk. I'm going to do it again; I'm sure I'm going to need all the help I can get! Although I'm wondering if she will charge double for two placentas... :)

vmomma 01-17-2013 11:19 PM

My sister and husband did mine and said it was super easy. I had a wonderful pp period, and would definitely do it again!

mommycass 01-18-2013 11:19 AM

I'm going to do my own this time! I've never had it done before but it seems easy and really worth it. My local health food store sells the capsules. (100 vegetarian capsules for $6.99 or $19.99 for 500)

EmilytheStrange 01-19-2013 12:52 PM

Just brought this up with DH and he said 'please don't tell me if you do that'

You Tell 'Em 01-19-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange
Just brought this up with DH and he said 'please don't tell me if you do that'

:giggle: My hubby is anti-hippie birth stuff and when I told him I wanted to eat a piece after birth he didn't seem as surprised as I thought he would. I've tossed up the idea to encapsulate but I think I'll just plan on making some smoothies for the first week or two with frozen cubes and plant the rest of the placenta when we plant the placenta from DD#2.