Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Why is my toddler acting like a baby? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1475837)

SamanthaSews 12-29-2012 05:33 AM

Why is my toddler acting like a baby?

Ds just turned 2, is an only child, I am not expecting. So why is he acting like a baby all of a sudden?

He insisted on being rocked all night long, no longer sleeps through the night (newborns sleep better than he does)& keeps insisting that we hold his sippy cup for him like a bottle. Could this be just because he is tired? Or something else? And any suggestions on what to do about it? I have refused to hold his cup for him.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

EmilytheStrange 12-29-2012 08:02 AM

As for the not sleeping at night, there's a 24 month sleep regression. I'm on my phone, but google brings up great results. DD went through it and we 'solved' it with a toddler clock and training about nighttime. Took about 2 weeks at 24/25 months.

It also explains the rocking. The 24 month one is generally about anxiety. I wish I had a buck for every time someone with a new 2yo told me that suddenly they have to lay with their kid, sit in their room as they fall asleep, cant close the door, etc.

Very very normal. Most parents I know have done a slow retreat at night. Giving in to the demands for a week, then just sitting and patting their back for a week, then sitting in a chair by the door while they fall asleep, then going back to normal. Something like that anyways.

DD had the 'wake up all night' part, but she didn't have the issues going to bed. Although she has asked for nighttime 'cuddle time' a few times but hasn't insisted on anything too long.

Hope that helps - unfortunately and fortunately very very normal. When DD tries to act like she can't do something she's always done, I insist she 'try'. Sometimes it causes a tantrum, sometimes she says in a singsong voice 'gotta try' before she does it. And of course, lots of positive reinforcement about how she did it all by herself.

SamanthaSews 12-29-2012 08:55 AM

Thanks! I suspected a sleep regression. It's just been getting worse over the past month or 2. I've got to get a sleep clock & DH & I decided this long weekend was the perfect time to start sleep training.

SamanthaSews 12-29-2012 09:17 AM

Question? I took the crib rail off in an effort to get him to sleep better. Obviously that didn't work. Should I put the rail back on?

EmilytheStrange 12-29-2012 09:57 AM

Re: Why is my toddler acting like a baby?

It may contribute to it if he feels like there are too many changes or something, you know?

SamanthaSews 12-29-2012 04:03 PM

Well I picked up the Ok to Wake clock today. But we are staying at my parents house tonight bc DH is sick with the stomach bug (which ds just got over) & I suspect he may have the flu bc he has body aches & chills. So DH is quarantined.

Anyway. Long story short, our plan to start sleep training is on hold for now.

EmilytheStrange 12-29-2012 05:04 PM

I hope DH feels better quickly!

bradcher 12-29-2012 05:13 PM

I would visit the doctor to just to rule out an ear infection etc... When my twins turned one we started saying Baby A turned into a cry baby. Turns out she was battling ear infections for a month and the antibiotic she was on just wasn't strong enough. She was still very happy, but just quicker to cry if the other twin was in her space, cried more at night ect...Once we got her stronger meds our happy girl was back 100% the time

SamanthaSews 12-29-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange
I hope DH feels better quickly!

Thanks! Me too!

SamanthaSews 12-29-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradcher
I would visit the doctor to just to rule out an ear infection etc... When my twins turned one we started saying Baby A turned into a cry baby. Turns out she was battling ear infections for a month and the antibiotic she was on just wasn't strong enough. She was still very happy, but just quicker to cry if the other twin was in her space, cried more at night ect...Once we got her stronger meds our happy girl was back 100% the time

I will get his ears checked. His 2 year appt on Monday