Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   White Whole Wheat Flour (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1475862)

pumkinsmommy 12-29-2012 09:44 AM

White Whole Wheat Flour

Do any of you use this completely in place of all purpose flour? I got some, thanks Danner, and am excited to use it. TIA

NorwexMa 12-29-2012 02:19 PM

I follow the same recommendations as for regular whole wheat flour. White is just the color. I will sub 1/3 wheat for most recipes safely. Some u can do more, it depends on the recipe and your desired outcome (dense, heavy, or wheat tasting). My family doesn't normally like whole wheat taste, so I'm on the conservative side. I'd rather have them eat it with some WW than to not eat it at all IMHO :-)

jbug_4 12-29-2012 02:35 PM

Re: White Whole Wheat Flour

White is a little lighter texture than regular. it works a little better when subbing for AP then regular, but still have the same issues you have with subbing whole wheat for ap, just not as bad. I love it for making bread because it does come out fluffier than when I use regular. I sub half white wheat for AP in most recipes. I'll do 3/4 is recipes like banana or pumpkin bread.

pumkinsmommy 12-30-2012 08:55 AM

Thank you both. If you are making gravy for example you would still use ap probably then. We only eat ww bread so the flavor will be ok. I can see where blending it will be a good option.

jbug_4 12-30-2012 11:52 AM

Yeah, we still use ap for gravies and for thickening. it does give whole wheat bread good texture- no taste change but makes it a bit fluffier.

danielle 12-30-2012 04:52 PM

:) we got a bag of red and a bag of white (and some kamut and buckwheat and blue corn... we went a bit crazy) and I am very excited to do some experimenting with the white. I already sub in 60% s. spelt in cookies and quick breads and I'm wondering about just going all the way with the white wheat.

Spunkify 12-31-2012 09:41 AM

I have only used White Whole Wheat Flour where I would normally use whole wheat flour.

For those looking for good bread flour, they make bread flour specifically. You may also want to look at cake flour for certain things, like cakes and cookies, if you're baking those.

unfadingcolors 12-31-2012 09:45 AM

I absolutely use it in place of all purpose flour - we don't use the all purpose here. I use it for pizza dough, cookies, baked goods, etc. I still get whole wheat pastry flour if I want to make a lighter fluffy cake

qsefthuko 12-31-2012 10:44 AM

I use 100% white whole wheat when making quick breads such as banana bread, zucchini bread, etc, My kids don't know anything else so no issues with flavor. Actually I have given it to my sister and her husband(the bread not the flour). My brother in law is a white bread fan. He had no idea it had whole wheat flour in it and loved it so much he was asking me to make more.

I also use it to make pancakes and waffles. I do 100% sub for those as well. I haven't tried it yet on cookies or our pound cake yet.

mama2jack 01-02-2013 05:24 PM

I use that or organic whole wheat pastry flour in everything.