Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In Feb (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   Anyone measuring big for no reason?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1476013)

Momma2theJs 12-29-2012 05:45 PM

Anyone measuring big for no reason??

This just makes NO sense to me. I went to the doc Thursday (at 33 weeks and change) and measured 37 weeks. They did a growth scan because apparently that's a big discrepency. They said he was perfectly average at 5 lb 1 oz, and that my fluid levels were also average. I am not obese, as a matter of fact, everyone keeps telling me I'm all baby. How accurate are those growth scans? Hubby is short and stocky, built like a tank. Would a baby proportioned the same way show up smaller on a scan bc the head circumference and femur length wouldn't reveal that information? I'm a little worried about how big he will be if my fluid is average but I'm measuring that far ahead. Insights?

keen1981 12-29-2012 05:48 PM

Baby positions can really have an affect on measurements

Green Decals 12-29-2012 05:53 PM

Re: Anyone measuring big for no reason??

Ultrasounds at this point can be off by 2 pounds in either direction. Baby position can throw off measurement, and if it is a different person measuring each time then the accuracy goes down. I have only had 2 "good" measurements this pregnancy, because other times the baby was completely vertical (you could literally see the ridge down my middle) or oddly positioned. I measure ahead most of the time, but I also have big babies. Big babies are nothing to worry about, I have awesome, easy births!

The Fancy Pansy 12-29-2012 05:55 PM

I always measure 2-3 cm ahead, just because I have LONG babies. Both of my girls so far have been 21 1/2 inches and 8 1/2 pounds. I am also short torsoed, but I don't know if that matters.

leyash 12-29-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keen1981 (Post 16091496)
Baby positions can really have an affect on measurements

Thread crashing, but you haven't had your baby yet?!?!? He was due like, a year ago! lol

leyash 12-29-2012 06:09 PM

I measured big at 34 weeks, but only because I had massive babies. My youngest was like, almost 7 pounds at my 34 week ultrasound. He was 10lbs 1oz at birth, at 39+0.

MDever 12-29-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Decals (Post 16091519)
Ultrasounds at this point can be off by 2 pounds in either direction. Baby position can throw off measurement, and if it is a different person measuring each time then the accuracy goes down. I have only had 2 "good" measurements this pregnancy, because other times the baby was completely vertical (you could literally see the ridge down my middle) or oddly positioned. I measure ahead most of the time, but I also have big babies. Big babies are nothing to worry about, I have awesome, easy births!

Exactly what she said. Scans at this point in pregnancy are well known to be very inaccurate. Even if your baby has macrosomia(big baby over 4500grams) the ACOG does not say that induction is any better. I have had an 11lb baby with no risk factors. It happens.

abunchoflemons 12-29-2012 06:27 PM

I'm slightly big but nothing like that.... Hmm. Have you stayed active? That might be slightly part but some is there is an error margin the bigger the baby gets.

Green Decals 12-29-2012 06:58 PM

My oldest was 6 pounds at 35 weeks, my youngest was 10 pounds 4 ounces at 40 weeks. No GD issues, active healthy pregnancies, etc. All of the babies in my family are big, 9+ pounds. I am guessing this next one will be in the 9-11 range. Your body will not grow a baby that it can't birth.

Momma2theJs 12-29-2012 08:09 PM

I don't worry about him being too big, I'm only wondering why the growth scan says he's only average when I'm measuring almost a month ahead! I wouldn't mind a big, chubby baby. :))