Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work out of Home Moms (WOHM) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Anyone work out? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1476121)

kaimon 12-30-2012 07:33 AM

Anyone work out?

I really need to start working out. But I can't figure out how to work it into my routine!

I get up at 6 Mon-Fri and as it is, it's rushed to get everyone out the door and to daycare on time. I work full-time and I'm a part-time student. I start work or class at 8:30 Finish most days at 5. By the time I pick up the kids and get home it's after 6. DH doesn't cook so I have to make supper as soon as I walk in.Then we eat and it's time to get the kids ready for bed. After that I'm exhausted but will usually have some school work to do. Then I collapse in bed.

The only time I can figure is if I were to start getting up at 5 instead of 6.... and I have a hard time getting out of bed at 6 so that hasn't happened yet.

Van1300 12-30-2012 10:24 AM

Re: Anyone work out?

I just got cleared to start working out again (home on maternity leave and go back to work in 2 weeks).

My plan is to get up at 6am and do the daycare drop offs. I get off work at 5pm and can be home in 15-20 min. DH will do daycare pick ups. I will get home, change, and literally "run" out the door for a half hour. I plan to have "make ahead" dinners going, either in the crock pot or something my husband can pop in the oven to get started when he gets home. As soon as I return, I'll finish dinner and then we'll get everyone's bed time routine going. I might try to squeeze in a weights routine/ yoga DVD as soon as the kiddos are in bed and then jump in the shower before going to sleep.

That's my thought. We'll see how smoothly it all goes in real life :) It is REALLY hard.

Spicymustard 12-30-2012 05:24 PM

How long is your lunch break?

There are a lot of good 20-30 minute workout videos. They are my go tos when life gets heatic and I shoot for longer on the weekends.

LRL 12-30-2012 09:05 PM

I work out on my lunchbreak, which is an hour. I change, do 30 minutes on a machine for cardio, and then shower. I then eat at my desk while working. It's not perfect or enough, but it's something!

crunch!910 12-31-2012 08:45 AM

I have the same problem. I drop off and pick up from daycare, so DH picking up so that I have time to work out really isn't an option. Well.. it maybe could be, but itis out of his way to pick them up, and I already work long days and it'd be over an hour longer that they'd stay at the sitters. My only real solution is to wake up at least 30 minutes earlier - so that means I'd be up at no later than 5:00am every morning. When I lost 30 lbs before having my DS2, I worked out in the evening when I got home from work. I'm jsut NOT a morning working out kind of person,a nd if I do, like 20 minutes max. Maybe I could just do 20min in AM and 20min in the PM when DH helps watch the boys?? It's tough to find the time!

kaimon 01-01-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicymustard (Post 16094818)
How long is your lunch break?

There are a lot of good 20-30 minute workout videos. They are my go tos when life gets heatic and I shoot for longer on the weekends.

My lunch break is an hour, but there's really no where around there I could work out. The office is in this weird isolated place (it actually used to be an institution for mentally disabled people - located so that they couldn't run away easily :yuck: ). I would have to drive to a gym, eat in my car, for a 20 min work out. In the summer I could potentially run or something outside. But it's way too snowy and icy for that now. Plus - the team I work with usually eats lunch all together and it's a really social time. Participating in those lunches while I was there as an intern is part of how I got offered this job in the first place. That's how the big boss got to know me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by crunch!910 (Post 16096571)
I have the same problem. I drop off and pick up from daycare, so DH picking up so that I have time to work out really isn't an option. Well.. it maybe could be, but itis out of his way to pick them up, and I already work long days and it'd be over an hour longer that they'd stay at the sitters. My only real solution is to wake up at least 30 minutes earlier - so that means I'd be up at no later than 5:00am every morning. When I lost 30 lbs before having my DS2, I worked out in the evening when I got home from work. I'm jsut NOT a morning working out kind of person,a nd if I do, like 20 minutes max. Maybe I could just do 20min in AM and 20min in the PM when DH helps watch the boys?? It's tough to find the time!

It takes about 20 minutes to get from our house to the daycare because the kids are in daycare on campus of the university. It then takes 20 minutes for me to get from daycare to work. With the time it takes to get them undressed and settled into their rooms it takes about an hour from teh time I leave home to the time I get to work.It's sort of on the way too. It takes approx 30-35 minutes to get to work directly from the house, so it only adds a half hour to my commute. DH works from home and we only have one car. Technically if needed he could do drop off or pick up using punlic transit but travel time alone is 45 min + one way. It wouldn't be reasonable on a regular basis.

The problem with working out when I get home is supper. DH doesn't cook. By the time we get home it's already 6-6:30. I can't make the kids wait until I'm finished a workout before I start prepping supper. Sigh.

I'm not a morning person either but it looks like some sort of video at 5 am is my only real option.

GreenDahlia 01-02-2013 01:45 PM

I struggle with finding time to work out too. This post on Zen habits has some great suggestions: http://zenhabits.net/fit13/ I think it's a lot more feasible for me, so I'm going to try it out.

Lanasmom 01-02-2013 01:56 PM

I'm one of the crazies who gets up at 5 am 3-5 days a week and does zumba in my living room. I tried things that were after work and they didn't work out at all!

escapethevillage 01-02-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaimon (Post 16093026)
I really need to start working out. But I can't figure out how to work it into my routine!

I get up at 6 Mon-Fri and as it is, it's rushed to get everyone out the door and to daycare on time. I work full-time and I'm a part-time student. I start work or class at 8:30 Finish most days at 5. By the time I pick up the kids and get home it's after 6. DH doesn't cook so I have to make supper as soon as I walk in.Then we eat and it's time to get the kids ready for bed. After that I'm exhausted but will usually have some school work to do. Then I collapse in bed.

The only time I can figure is if I were to start getting up at 5 instead of 6.... and I have a hard time getting out of bed at 6 so that hasn't happened yet.

With that schedule, i'd just be trying to walk more often, and then just get through this time in life without worrying too much about working out. If you can just incorporate walking a little more, that'd be pretty good. (park farther away, take the stairs etc)

amyltc 01-02-2013 11:58 PM

I've been making freezer meals on the weekends, it's so nice to only have minimal prep at night to do. Maybe that old free up so,e time? (Says me who never works out)