Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work out of Home Moms (WOHM) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   starting daycare at 17 months (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1476465)

adjroberts 12-31-2012 10:10 AM

starting daycare at 17 months
 
He is EBF at 9 months. He nurses to sleep for every nap. What should I do? Start giving him food? He doesn't have teeth yet. I don't know how to put him down for a nap without nursing. Will I have to pump? I would rather not pump, but will he need milk still? We don't drink milk, we drink almond milk. Would he be able to drink that? Also, he has never been away from me. Ever. How do I make the transition easier for him? Get a babysitter for a few hours? Please give me advice.

mibarra 12-31-2012 10:19 AM

You might begin offering some soft solids or purees to your preference. If you want to maintain nursing at home I would pump for every missed full feeding and send it, either in a bottle or cup. If you want him to have almond milk you'll probably have to send that. For naps, we do it our way at home (which was nursing to sleep til 1 year) and they do it their way there (started daycare at 6 months). They'll figure it out. I usually plan on spending several hours there the first day, then all going home. The second day I stay for a few hours then leave the baby there. The third day I hang around for 30 minutes to an hour, then leave baby. After that a quick drop off with an "I love you, I will be back later to get you". There will be crying, but it's ok.

Any decent provider will want to know your schedule at home, and details about what he eats. Communication is key!! :)

MarieSeeking 12-31-2012 10:21 AM

Does he show interest in food? My daughter didnt sprout her first tooth right before a year old. It certainly didn't preclude her from eating! Haha. Start with avacado, banana, and such.

adjroberts 12-31-2012 10:54 AM

He has eaten a few foods, but I never know how much to feed him.

waterisntsomething 12-31-2012 11:05 AM

Re: starting daycare at 17 months
 
I am hoping to get a job in the next couple months which would require me to leave DS with someone and this worries me also. At 11 months he is still mostly EBF, he just hasn't been that into food. I feel like if I do get a job though he can just eat a meal of baby food or regular food and I'll nurse him a bunch before I leave and right when I get home. The sleep thing is what I've really been worried about b/c he has to nurse to sleep with me. I've given him to MIL around nap time a couple times to test it and both times she has been able to rock him to sleep in her arms so I really feel like whoever is watching him will be able to get him to sleep....I just have to nurse him b/c he knows its there.

adjroberts 12-31-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterisntsomething (Post 16097120)
I am hoping to get a job in the next couple months which would require me to leave DS with someone and this worries me also. At 11 months he is still mostly EBF, he just hasn't been that into food. I feel like if I do get a job though he can just eat a meal of baby food or regular food and I'll nurse him a bunch before I leave and right when I get home. The sleep thing is what I've really been worried about b/c he has to nurse to sleep with me. I've given him to MIL around nap time a couple times to test it and both times she has been able to rock him to sleep in her arms so I really feel like whoever is watching him will be able to get him to sleep....I just have to nurse him b/c he knows its there.

I feel the same way about the sleep thing, I think he will be okay. And sometimes he doesn't take a nap all day anyway and is fine. Mostly I am worried about him getting enough to eat, and I don't want to traumatize him. And I don't think I want to pump, but I still want to nurse at home. Is that possible?

doodah 12-31-2012 11:52 AM

Re: starting daycare at 17 months
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by adjroberts (Post 16096916)
He is EBF at 9 months. He nurses to sleep for every nap. What should I do? Start giving him food? He doesn't have teeth yet. I don't know how to put him down for a nap without nursing. Will I have to pump? I would rather not pump, but will he need milk still? We don't drink milk, we drink almond milk. Would he be able to drink that? Also, he has never been away from me. Ever. How do I make the transition easier for him? Get a babysitter for a few hours? Please give me advice.

have you started looking for daycare yet? its important to raise all these concerns with the particular provider because each center or home can vary on policies.

I do think it would be best to start offering foods and a sippy cup or bottle to him. He needs to be able to take something at daycare. Some BFed babies have a harder time taking bottle or sippy at daycare (because they hold out for nursing with mom) so at least with foods, he would be at least be getting some calories and nutrition. With him still nursing, I would be prepared for him to not take much liquids at daycare and reverse cycle (meaning he will want to nurse more at home to make up for it). He may surprise you and do just fine though. You dont have to stop nursing to sleep but you do have to be prepared to allow the provider to do with they need to do to get him down for a nap. Even if you dont think he needs a nap, that doesnt mean he will be allowed to stay up. He will need to be napping or at least quiet in his crib/pnp so that other kids get their nap. That means that the provider may be able to do some rocking or soothing but the reality is that he may do some CIO/FIO at daycare. If that is not something you can live with, its important that you find a provider that can work around your preferences or you consider a nanny. You dont have to pump while you are away but you may find that you need to at some point to avoid discomfort. You will have to be prepared to provide something for your son to drink at daycare.....either pumped milk or formula. It is my understanding that almond milk is not recommended for children under 2 so you should check into that before offering anything to your son. If you offer anything besides pumped milk, give some to him at home first in case of allergic reaction. you wouldnt want him to have a bad reaction and the provider be there trying to figure out what is going on. Same thing with new foods.....always offer at home first before sending to daycare. as for the transition to daycare, you can try and do a few times with babysitters but that doesnt really mean anything. you wont know how he does at daycare till he is there. he may be fine, he may cry at drop off, he may cry all day every day for awhile till he gets used to it. the provider may allow you to bring him for some partial days to start out with but again, you need to discuss with them what they allow. also, if they allow parents to stay or what ideas they have regarded the transition.

doodah 12-31-2012 11:58 AM

Re: starting daycare at 17 months
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by adjroberts (Post 16097142)
I feel the same way about the sleep thing, I think he will be okay. And sometimes he doesn't take a nap all day anyway and is fine. Mostly I am worried about him getting enough to eat, and I don't want to traumatize him. And I don't think I want to pump, but I still want to nurse at home. Is that possible?

he should be fine at daycare. most kids can adjust and its usually the moms that have the hardest time with it. you can continue to nurse at home even if you dont pump but it can be challenging. it just depends on how long your work day is. if your son eats every 4 hours at home, for instance, then by 4 hours at work, you will be feeling the need to pump or express to get some relief. if for some reason you hold out and do not pump, then your body will adjust and eventually make less milk but there is always the risk that your milk supply drops too much and you dry up. i think you should plan on pumping unless you have very short shifts at work and your son is only at daycare part time. if you are a traditional 8 to 5 job, you should plan on pumping.

adjroberts 12-31-2012 12:45 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies! I have started looking at daycares and have a few interviews coming up, so I will make a list to make sure I address all of my concerns. I would like for him to start drinking out of a sippy cup now. I have mixed feelings about weaning; I don't want to do it too early, but I don't want to pump forever.

waterisntsomething 12-31-2012 01:36 PM

Re: starting daycare at 17 months
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by adjroberts (Post 16097142)
I feel the same way about the sleep thing, I think he will be okay. And sometimes he doesn't take a nap all day anyway and is fine. Mostly I am worried about him getting enough to eat, and I don't want to traumatize him. And I don't think I want to pump, but I still want to nurse at home. Is that possible?

I've never had luck pumping. I tried when he was an infant and could never get much and now he won't take a bottle. He's kind of figuring out the sippy cup and worst case you can feed with a regular cup. I think the biggest thing is if you trust your childcare. I'm totally nervous about leaving him..I actually had a job offer a month or two ago I ended up not taking b/c I didn't feel ready to leave him but as he gets older I really am starting to feel like it will be harder on me than on him. I've left him for a couple hours before to go grocery shopping and he does fine. Plus by 17 months your DS will probably be eating plenty of food and you can give him cows milk (or whatever you choose) at that point if it's really a matter of him being hungry. Can you tell I'm trying to convince myself too :giggle:. It's so hard to leav them!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors