Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work out of Home Moms (WOHM) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   How much do you pay your Nanny? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1476511)

fantasia1117 12-31-2012 12:31 PM

How much do you pay your Nanny?

We have had a Nanny since Oct. when I started working full time. She cares for our 2 boys M-T from 7am to 6pm. We pay $13/hr. She transports our oldest to and from school in our car, which she can use for whatever she needs while caring for our kids. We give her paid holidays 10 per year and 5 personal days. Our schedule is pretty regular but we provide her with a calender 1 month in advance. Over half of my salary goes to our Nanny.

At the beginning of December we gave her a schedule for the month and explained that we would be taking a week off around Christmas and she would not be paid for those days. We would still pay her for Christmas Day as it is a paid holiday. She said that was fine, didn't ask any questions, etc. This AM she came early to discuss not getting paid for that time. It was 3 days total and we let her know well in advance. We do not have a written contract with her but have gone over this before.

I am not really sure what to do but this is driving me crazy at work today. We have had a couple of other issues with her, like she got a speeding ticket in our car with our kids. And I came home one day to ALL of my china teacups ,about, 50 of them sitting on the table because my boys removed them from the hutch. It must have taken some time so where was our Nanny? Help!

iwiamandaiwi 12-31-2012 12:35 PM

Re: How much do you pay your Nanny?

umm i don't think i would have kept her around after the china incident. like you said, that would have taken some time so where the heck was she? God forbid they had decided to do something dangerous with that alone time...

mibarra 12-31-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwiamandaiwi (Post 16097498)
umm i don't think i would have kept her around after the china incident. like you said, that would have taken some time so where the heck was she? God forbid they had decided to do something dangerous with that alone time...

Just to play devil's advocate, maybe she was having stomach issues and needed a long bathroom break... but if you're not comfortable then I might look for someone new ;)

Sarai* 12-31-2012 02:15 PM

We pay ours about that --

I try not to put her in a situation where she is going a week without pay. I get vacation time when I am gone, I try to share with her. Like she was off all Christmas week, today, tomorrow, and the Friday before -- she knew about many days in advance. I will pay her as close to her normal wages as I can afford (I didn't get to use all vacation days for my time off) and we just even it out later, like in the summer.

Nannies (our kids insist they are too old for a nanny so she is a "house manager now, lol) get paid little, and can very well be living pay check to pay check. It can be really hard to have a week off without pay, especially around Christmas time.

Since you told her ahead of time, I'd stick to normal agreement, but in the future, I wouldn't expect it out of her, or whoever replaces her.

esmemom 12-31-2012 02:24 PM

I pay my nanny 300 dollars a week to work from 7AM to 4 PM. She does insist on getting paid all the days off I have (which is a lot). I am a teacher in New York City and I do have many days off but she will also refuse to come those days even if I need her (she is getting paid for them).

fantasia1117 12-31-2012 06:08 PM

She brought up the money again this evening and that she has bills, because she lost her phone and has to pay for the speeding ticket that she got in our car while driving our kids around. She also said that we never told her she wouldn't get, which isn't true because wegave her a calendar with it writtenon it and when over it. She never questioned it or seemed concerned. I thought we made it very clear. When we were looking to hire someone we were offering $11/hr but we thought she was really good so when she said she needed 13/hr we agreed. We can' t really afford her.
This came up shortly after started when we didn' t pay her for Columbus Day. We worked it out and agreed to pay Federal holidays. I never had a nanny before and when I worked as a Nanny for 1 year, I was never paid when I didn't work. We added the personal days because we figure that was good to
do.
Wwe don' t really take much vacation so this won' t come up again soon, but my husband is pissed. HEe wants to find someone else. I know that she is not living paycheck to paycheck. Her husband works full time and she has told me that she puts 3/4 of her check into savings. I kinda think we are
on differnt wavelengths. Do you think there is middle ground or should I be looking for a new childcare arrangement

Sarai* 01-01-2013 11:10 AM

If you are spelling things out, and she is ignoring them, and acting like the conversation never happened earlier, that is a red flag to me. If she agreed to it, and is backing out, I wouldn't like that. There is no middle ground for "I will ignore what you tell me".

But the next person I hire, I would try to work something else out. We've done half pay for missed days, like one of the three times in a few years she was ill. Doesn't have to be all or nothing.

c&w's mama 01-01-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarai* (Post 16100844)
If you are spelling things out, and she is ignoring them, and acting like the conversation never happened earlier, that is a red flag to me. If she agreed to it, and is backing out, I wouldn't like that. There is no middle ground for "I will ignore what you tell me".

But the next person I hire, I would try to work something else out. We've done half pay for missed days, like one of the three times in a few years she was ill. Doesn't have to be all or nothing.

I'm leaning towards this. I'd love to get a nanny (but to save me time... the kids like playing with others) but this is the stuff I'd worry about- also their sick time-- essential, but I wouldn't know what to do about back up. I live in the same general area and nannies are so expensive.

What did she say about the china? Does sound like she's not listening about days off... that makes me think (justified or not) that she's not following what I ask (I had this situation in daycare once). That's part of the job description and I think you can find someone more suited to the job.

mibarra 01-01-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esmemom (Post 16097974)
I pay my nanny 300 dollars a week to work from 7AM to 4 PM. She does insist on getting paid all the days off I have (which is a lot). I am a teacher in New York City and I do have many days off but she will also refuse to come those days even if I need her (she is getting paid for them).

This seems crazy to me. I can understand negotiating paid days off, but ALL of them? For a teacher? I've never had a nanny though so I dunno! ;)

fantasia1117 01-02-2013 05:02 PM

The time she actually didn't get paid amounts to two days. That is it. We paid her for Christmas day and we would have been off normally that Thursday and Friday. I guess you are all right in the fact it is more that we gave her a schedule with it written out and she says we weren't clear enough that she wasn't going to get paid. She also said that if this is/was going to happen again she would let us know if that was ok with her. We never offered paid time off when we interviewed her (although she is given 5 paid personal days and 10 paid holidays). I do not receive any paid time off that I do not earn. My time off is earned every pay period. Would it be crazy to set it up for her like that?

We are seriously considering another nanny, in fact we have talked to a few other nannies already. My biggest issue is that I don't want to "fire" her and leave on bad terms, in that she knows ALOT about our personal life, house, kids, car, etc. I don't think she would retaliate in any manner, but seemingly normal people do strange things these days.