Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Any tips for getting baby to take bottle? for just one day? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1476660)

alaskamum 12-31-2012 11:09 PM

Any tips for getting baby to take bottle? for just one day?

My ds is getting his adenoids and tonsils out next week. I'm going to be with him all morning, leaving the house at 7 am and getting home probably around noon (I hope).
Baby is 3 1/2 months old, has never taken a bottle. I have breastmilk in the freezer. DH has tried twice with a bottle but with no success, but those times I was gone for a much shorter amount of time.

Any tips for what to do for that day? Anything I'm not thinking of? I have not had success with any of my kids taking a bottle, I'm probably not doing something right, so feel free to make any suggestions even if they seem basic.

Thanks!

Nerissa 12-31-2012 11:26 PM

Re: Any tips for getting baby to take bottle? for just one day?

i would nurse right before you leave and leave the bottle for DH. The baby make take enough if she is hungry to hold her till you get home or she may surprise you and take the whole bottle for DH. Since you are only going to be gone about 5 hours i wouldn't stress too much.

What type of bottle have you tried? For me all three of my kiddos will only drink out of wide nipple bottles. DS1 was picky and after trying many different ones the playtex wide nipple (either ventaire or drop ins) is all he would take. i didn't try anything different for the other two. I also WOH so bottles are a necessary and we start at 3 weeks.

OT my neice who is 6 just had her tonsils and adnoids out and she did great and been a pretty easy recovery for her.

lizxvx 01-01-2013 12:44 AM

We've had really good luck with tommee tippee bottles. Have you tried them? Also, try dipping the bottle nipple into the milk before offering. Good luck!

abunchoflemons 01-01-2013 02:21 AM

I have a coupon for tommie tippie (right?). My oldest was fine with ventaire but because my supply was low & really no lc help plus stress... my second just didn't take bottle from me but would for others.

Try pinching nipple or dipping it to let baby know its milk. Try open small cup too. Or maybe a bit of baby water incase it works instead of milk to keep baby hydrated for those hrs til you can nurse again. Would hospital ley you nurse there a bit too like when other is in surgery? So like nurse b4 you go to hospital then see if hubby can bring to area during surgery then you can still be there when out of surgery....

swtpepper 01-01-2013 10:17 PM

I agree with the earlier post about nursing baby before you leave and then leaving milk with hubby. If baby is hungry then baby will eat. My ds went on bottle strike and wouldn't eat the first day I returned back to work, but eventually he figured it out and did fine. Try not to stress to much. It will all work out fine. Good luck on your other childs surgery!