Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homesteading (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   Jan. Farm/Homesteading Chat Thread (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1476665)

raisingcropsandbabies 12-31-2012 10:32 PM

Jan. Farm/Homesteading Chat Thread

Happy New Year! How long will it take you to write 2013 instead of 12? haha.

So I thought it'd be fun to share our Country Boys' favorite meal/dessert and post the recipes! When DH gets home, I need to ask him... he eats about anything and so I have no clue what he would consider his favorite! :blush: As you can tell, I need some meal inspiration...

Missc- Sorry about your sewing machine! Quilted placemats sound lovely. This year, I'm determined to make more for my home. I got a hope chest when I was 14 and filled it with some stuff, but not enough. I wish I would have squirreled more homemade items away and didn't give most of it during my teen years (aka: the season in life when you have time to pee by yourself and sew all day!) ANyway, you should join the January Use Your Stash Game in the craft forum!!! I just joined it... never done it before, but sounds fun.
Congrats on your mudroom! Pictures! And no sight words yet. Captain Obvious is having trouble blending... I think I'm going to stop teaching the blending and give him a few more months and then try again. I can tell he is wanting to do it, but he's just not there, mentally, yet. SO it's getting frustrating for him and for me, and so it's time for a break. Every homeschool mama I talk to says it gets so much easier and something clicks in their brain at 6 years old; so I'm not sweating it. He loves everything else and so we will continue with writing, science, Bible, etc.
Is your little guy having a big developmental leap? I remember with the kids, if they make strides in one area, they regress in another (and it was usually sleep!). We gleaned some off of Babywise... ran with some parts and left others. It worked pretty good for all 4, but it's midnight and as I type, Baby Girl is chattering away in her pack n play by our bed... she's started walking full time now and so guess what area she regressed in???? haha. So maybe I shouldn't say anything, but to offer you sanity:lostit: That icon is what I feel like in the day now!

-Nothing crazy going on this week. Probably won't see much of DH as he's pretty pulled between his parents and the farm. He doesn't even have time to read Farm and Dairy, which I bought for him for Christmas... I've been reading them though and learning! So that's fun. Rosie's production is so low and so I have not had extra milk to make into butter and cheese, and I'm sad! We let BamBam go dry until her next calf is born. Rosie has a bad teat (did since we bought her, we think it was chronic and they did not tell us that) and she DH only milks her out of 3, but we should still be getting more than we are. DH is putting some high content meal in her along with hay, so we'll see if that helps. I wish I was more involved and could add my two cents, but I have no clue... we are selling her come time BamBam freshens! At least we got a jersey heifer out of her! So that will leave us with 2 jerseys and 1 holstein (one not milking age for another 1-1/2 years though).

Okay, hope you ladies have a wonderful week!

agardenfull 01-01-2013 01:30 PM

Re: Jan. Farm/Homesteading Chat Thread

Hi All!
Woke up at the crack of dawn to the upper pasture being flooded (broken water line), HUGE tree in the Ram pen blown over and Ramsy out knee deep in the flooded muck (and mad), goats haywire, and FREEZING cold out there to boot! HAPPY NEW YEAR from the Disbrow Homestead! :giggle2:

missc 01-02-2013 06:25 AM

My goodness Shirley, I hope it all works out! That's a mouthful for a New Years morning!
RCB - I asked my husband and he listed off about 3 dishes that I don't typically make...lol. I asked him about the ones that I do make, and he said Enchiladas. Of the ones that I normally don't make, he likes Stuffed Green Peppers (the kids don't like it though, the green peppers or the rice) and Ham Steaks, Mashed Taters, and Corn. Other things that I've made recently that they seem to enjoy are homemade Mac and Cheese with hamburger and assorted veggies (onions, peppers) (it's a homemade hamburger helper :) and we make a lot of soup, mainly Potato Soup, but I recently did Tomato soup too...with grilled PB&J or grilled cheese sandwiches.
I've thought of joining the Use Your Stash Game. I really enjoy lurking through their thread :blush:. We'll see, I'm awfully horrible at counting what I do, but I'll look at it again.
I will post pictures of the mudroom in a bit, when it's not so dreary outside and there's some light. :) All the pegs are full with winter clothes, but it's so much better that they are on the pegs than on the floor!
I know. Part of me doesn't want to push the reading because I've heard that so much. And she really does try...But, there's a good chance she'll go to school next year, and she really wants to go into first grade. We've had discussions that she'll need to work hard if she wants to go into first grade (and Mama needs to work hard to get her in order, lol), and she's been trying. I've also told her though that it's ok if she goes into Kindy. Her age/birthday sets her on the fence anyway. She's doing good blending, we started with the vowels and she's really getting 3 letter words and some 4 with it. But the sight words are a bother. It probably doesn't help that I have a very good friend who is a super awesome Kindy teacher at a public school around here. So she talks about what her kids are doing and I compare...and I lack horribly! But I think too, that she says the kids are writing sentences and I think SENTENCES. But really, they're trying to write and it's not what I'm thinking, you know? But I printed off some games and laminated them (I got a laminator for Christmas and now everything will be laminated :giggle2:) and we'll plug along and see what happens.
Little Man might be going through a developmental phase. I think he's teething, and he's certainly been super active and pulling up on EVERYTHING, even taking some steps while holding on. He's been chewing on anything he can and yesterday he was drooling. I think he's getting a little better at night, he was up 3 times last night and slept from 8:30 until 1:15, then to 4...I'll take it!
I hope you get more milk soon! I'd so love to get a milk cow. How long do you think it takes to hand milk? And do you guys leave their calf on them at all? When is BamBam due? Do you prefer the Jerseys or the Holstein?
We don't have too much farmwise right now, just waiting for the invisible fence wire and trying to work more with the colt. T needs to clean the chickens and A has puppy class tonight...I think that's about it for this week!

aiyana4969 01-02-2013 11:20 AM

I've been MIA for a while, between work and the holidays it's been crazy here. for Christmas my dad got me a 23at pressure cooker :lostit: and hubs got me a kindle fire (which I'm on right now so please excuse a autocorrect) which isn't very homesteady but I love it, especially since hubs likes to play games on the computer, and I like to research homesteading stuff.

I also put a deposit on a nuc of bees :lostit:
aaaand I think we'll be getting a piglet in the spring!

oh and next year I'll have a winter coop near the house because wading thru waist deep snow in single digit temps across the yard for one egg is ridiculous.

watching farmageddon right now, anyone have problems with your farms from authorities?
luckily here in Maine, we have very few regulations, raw milk is sold in stores and its easy to obtain a dairy licence. non dairy products are fine to b/s/t completely unregulated. makes the snow and child with it.

igotmywings 01-02-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aiyana4969 (Post 16105301)
I've been MIA for a while, between work and the holidays it's been crazy here. for Christmas my dad got me a 23at pressure cooker :lostit:.

did he end up getting you the America Standard one you wanted? If i remember correctly we had talked about canning before and you were saving up for an america standard one right? I am hoping for my birthday (in a few days) I get my american stadard one

aiyana4969 01-02-2013 03:35 PM

unfortunately not the American standard, a Presto think? It's in the laundry room. I will be using it this week to can black beans, so excited! even if it isn't the one I wanted it'll work, excited to have one!
I don't have to work again until Wednesday, so I can get a bit done.

Ok, a dilemma, as much a as I love what I do, and like the break from the kids, 12hour shifts and after an insane day like yesterday, need at least a day to recuperate. I don't know how I feel about this yet, other than DH doesn't have any abilities in parenting, he's an amazing husband, but parenting isn't his forte at.all he's tried for the past fewmonths and he's honestly tried (and most days does fine or great, but some days...) and I'm thinking the few bad days are just NOT worth it, bad days are baaaaad days and we fight about them and I don't like it, DH and I only e ever fight a about parenting, and the last few years that was rare. so I don't know if we just need to few get used to the changes, or if me working is a bad idea. we don't need that income, I enjoy the extra to use on fun things and d to pay off debit, but it's not necessaryDH is reluctant with the idea of me quitting, but only because he invited I enjoy it and I'm literally the center of his world. *sigh* WDYT?

missc 01-02-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aiyana4969 (Post 16106553)
Ok, a dilemma, as much a as I love what I do, and like the break from the kids, 12hour shifts and after an insane day like yesterday, need at least a day to recuperate. I don't know how I feel about this yet, other than DH doesn't have any abilities in parenting, he's an amazing husband, but parenting isn't his forte at.all he's tried for the past fewmonths and he's honestly tried (and most days does fine or great, but some days...) and I'm thinking the few bad days are just NOT worth it, bad days are baaaaad days and we fight about them and I don't like it, DH and I only e ever fight a about parenting, and the last few years that was rare. so I don't know if we just need to few get used to the changes, or if me working is a bad idea. we don't need that income, I enjoy the extra to use on fun things and d to pay off debit, but it's not necessaryDH is reluctant with the idea of me quitting, but only because he invited I enjoy it and I'm literally the center of his world. *sigh* WDYT?

Hey Amanda, I work 3 days a week...Tues, Thurs and Fri. And after Thurs and Fri I would love a day to catch up too! My house is generally a mess and the kids are haywire after being gone during for 2 days in a row. I feel your pain :goodvibes:. I know it's different for each family, and my experience I'm sure is much different than yours. I can tell you on our end (and this is going on 5 years of me working part-time) that we have family (thankfully, we live near a lot of our family) that watch the kids when I work. I take the kids into town to their grandparents, pick them up (DH works the opposite way from my work). I used to work a different position on Saturdays but it was too stressful for me...when I'd call home I'd hear the stress in everyone's voice, and I'd be tired when I got home and the house would be dirty, it just wasn't worth the shift differential. Maybe someday, but honestly I haven't missed it at all. I hope that everything works out for you.

Macyllehub 01-02-2013 09:37 PM

Hi ladies :wave:

Can I join in?

Last year my husband and I made a promise to never live in a subdivision again. I'll be the first to admit I enjoyed the manicured lawns, playgrounds, and everything but we moved last winter to a small 1 acre lot home that has brought so much enjoyment. We are renters, but renting a place that is an acre with a shop and barn is great!!

In the spring of lsat year we got our flock of chickens, all 26 of them! And today we expanded again with goats!!! Registered Nigerian Dwarfs. Two does, one pregnant due to kid in late March, one only 8 months old.

We have a lot of fencing to do tomorrow!

raisingcropsandbabies 01-03-2013 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missc (Post 16104078)
I hope you get more milk soon! I'd so love to get a milk cow. How long do you think it takes to hand milk? And do you guys leave their calf on them at all? When is BamBam due? Do you prefer the Jerseys or the Holstein?
We don't have too much farmwise right now, just waiting for the invisible fence wire and trying to work more with the colt. T needs to clean the chickens and A has puppy class tonight...I think that's about it for this week!

Oh, I love stuffed peppers but never make them either. DH and the kids don't like them (the bell peppers). Last year I planted 6 bell pepper plants and they produced like crazy... I kept trying to sneak it in dishes, but the kids were able to detect the taste. I hope that taste changes. I could eat them in anything.

Yay for a laminator!!! I had to laugh about your friend being a teacher. I have friends who are either obsessed with homeschooling or veryyyyy laid back. I don't LOVE teaching... it's okay; not the joy of my heart, but I don't hate it either. We do it because it fits our family. So I guess I fall in the middle somewhere.

We let the calf have their mama for a couple weeks and then we wean them down to having her in the afternoon for awhile. Then we move the calf out for good. BamBam has at least 6 weeks before her calf should arrive. We prefer jersey because of the high cream content. It's so nice to have so much as you can keep some in the milk and then be able to make butter out of a good portion of it too! I was also reading about how some people think jersey's milk is better for you vs holstein. It was interesting, but I don't know. About hand milking, DH sometimes milks by hand if the pump it out. I'll have to ask him how long he thinks it takes.

Shirley- I think that qualifies as "one of those" mornings! My my! Did you get it all took care of?

Amanda- Raw milk is VERY witch-hunted here. You may have heard about Amish being arrested and dairy liscenses took away because inspectors disguised as regular consumers come to houses and ask if the dairymen will sell them raw milk. They'll nag them and nag them until they say yes for a couple bucks a gallon and then those inspectors take away a whole family's livelihood. Raw milk is treated very hostile here by any authorities. One can only do a herdshare for raw milk. To even sell it as pet milk, you have to have a license and that is hard to get. So if you barter or sell raw milk, it's all VERY hush hush!
That is very exciting about the bees! We just told a bee guy in our area that he can put up boxes on our land in return for free honey. I love the idea of bee keeping, but I don't think I'm the gal to do it. That is awesome though!
About whether to keep working or not. I would give the ultimate decision to my husband. I would ask him to think of the good of the family first and then have him make the final choice. That is just how our marriage works. If he really could not make a call, then I would look at what is best for the family and decide from there.
I love how you, Missc, are able to leave the kids with grandparents, it's such a cool thing to have the older generation be so hands on with the kids. My Dh's mom stayed at home, but DH spent the majority of his time helping out his Grandpa around the farm. It was such a strong bond and 3 generations were so tightly woven together. I'm thankful (mostly) to live down the road from Dh's folks so my kids can have that too (it makes me so sad that my folks live so far away though!).

Hi Macy! Welcome! You know I have never seen a baby goat/kid... they sound like they would be adorable though. We raise sheep and cattle and I love lambing season. Kids sound precious too.
How many eggs a day to you typically get during this season?

---------

Down side of having our own gas wells... when the gas pressure gets next to nothing and DH has to notice AFTER he takes his boots off and starts to relax for the night. He had to get everything back on and go out and pump the well last night (I felt so bad for him). He came back home and his insulated jeans were FROZEN... like stand up by themselves frozen! We use gas for about everything since it's free for us and so I'm thankful it didn't take DH hours to fix as we would have gotten cold in the house. If there is a leak in the line and he has to find it, it can take hours to find and fix. So I am thankful.

Okay, I guess bread with butter and jam and oranges is not much of a breakfast for the boys because they are hungry again. Better go make a smoothie. Have a wonderful day ladies!

raisingcropsandbabies 01-03-2013 06:00 AM

My Farmer's Favorite Meal: Beef and Homemade Noodles, Mashed Potatoes, Fresh from the garden Green Beans.

I used to make an unbleached white flour recipe for egg noodles, but I'm switching to this whole wheat one at Heavenly Homemaker's site:
Whole Wheat Pasta
2 1/3 cups whole wheat flour (I use freshly ground flour)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 beaten eggs
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon olive oil
She freezes them with success, so the plan this month is to get together with a friend and make a BUNCH of noodles and freeze them up!

For the beef I just throw a roast (I never keep track of which one since we usually butcher our own cow) in the crockpot with onions and some water and let it cook all day to when it starts to shred. And then I cook the noodles with the beef and beef broth instead of water.

My Farmer's Favorite Dessert:
Pecan Pie... I should have guessed that one!
1 pie crust (I use a Betty Crocker recipe)
3 eggs
1 cup sugar (half brown and half white)
1 cup karo syrup (half light and half dark)
1/2 cup melted butter
1-1/2 cups of pecans
Mix the filling together and pour into pie shell. Bake at 375 for 40-50 minutes until slightly jiggly. I like my mom's variation of making it into a derby pie, by adding chocolate chips and cocnut to it! DH does not so I don't typically make it like that (I don't want to be tempted to eat it).