Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Gelatin-free broth? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1476749)

Mom2jandb 01-01-2013 10:40 AM

Gelatin-free broth?

Does anyone know of a method for a chicken or beef broth that is gelatin-free or has minimal gelatin? I think my 7mo DD is super sensitive to it :(. Veggie is not a great option either bc she is sensitive to lots of those as well. Maybe something with mushrooms could work...

Mom2jandb 01-01-2013 10:29 PM

Anyone? Ideas?

Chamomile Girl 01-01-2013 10:47 PM

Re: Gelatin-free broth?

What about miso?

Mom2jandb 01-02-2013 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl
What about miso?

Interesting! I just googled miso because I really don't know what it is, lol. And I see a company called South River makes some allergy-friendly miso (vegan, soy and gluten free). This might actually be an option, thank you!

triplomom 01-02-2013 03:04 PM

Do you want to make broth, or use a prepackaged broth? Gelatin in broth or, more so, stock, is created by dissolving (hydrolyzing) the collagen in connective tissue. Stock is characterized by a high gelatin content, which is why it jiggles when cooled and is made using bones and tough cuts with lots of sinew. If you want to minimize the amount of gelatin in your broth, you're going to want to make it with pure, boneless meat that has little or no connective tissue. So, you'll want to use boneless, skinless chicken breasts for chicken broth, and for beef broth, you'll want something like eye of round. Unfortunately, eye of round doesn't offer much flavor, but it would be sad to waste filet or strip on broth. ;) Good luck!

mama2jack 01-02-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2jandb (Post 16103853)
Interesting! I just googled miso because I really don't know what it is, lol. And I see a company called South River makes some allergy-friendly miso (vegan, soy and gluten free). This might actually be an option, thank you!

WE love miso here, we have the south river chickpea miso right now and it is super yummy!

CMamma 01-04-2013 04:00 PM

I make my own broth in our crock pot or the stove. Here is a recipe for a super easy way to do it for practically nothing. I never use geletin or anything like it.

Mom2jandb 01-05-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triplomom
Do you want to make broth, or use a prepackaged broth? Gelatin in broth or, more so, stock, is created by dissolving (hydrolyzing) the collagen in connective tissue. Stock is characterized by a high gelatin content, which is why it jiggles when cooled and is made using bones and tough cuts with lots of sinew. If you want to minimize the amount of gelatin in your broth, you're going to want to make it with pure, boneless meat that has little or no connective tissue. So, you'll want to use boneless, skinless chicken breasts for chicken broth, and for beef broth, you'll want something like eye of round. Unfortunately, eye of round doesn't offer much flavor, but it would be sad to waste filet or strip on broth. ;) Good luck!

Yes, I want to make my own. Thanks for the info on what I could use! Very informative, I may try the chicken breast first.