Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Adding Formula? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1476868)

KaylaJayne 01-01-2013 03:25 PM

Adding Formula?

So my little one (who is 9 months old) has only drank breastmilk from birth until now... Except now he's drinking 4oz bottles (which is normal) at daycare but I'm only producing 3oz at a time for him.

What are your thoughts on adding 1oz of formula to each 3oz bottle at daycare? The only thing I'm worried about is his tummy getting upset switching from breastmilk from the breast at night to breastmilk/formula from the bottle at daycare.

I never had this with DS1 since he wouldn't nurse... I'm totally out of my element

keen1981 01-01-2013 03:30 PM

How long between feedings?

How many bottles? I doubt you need to add formula. It's likely over feeding and misjudging cues. Try 2.5 ounce bottles every 2-2.5 hours.

KaylaJayne 01-01-2013 04:03 PM

Re: Adding Formula?

He's not really on a schedule but I'd say when I work from 11-5:15 he takes 2 bottles (sometimes 1) Usually right after lunchtime so around 1 o'clock and then once in a while around 3:30/4.... sometimes he skips this bottle.

keen1981 01-01-2013 04:05 PM

And you are pumping.. How often while at work?

This is what I would do.

Feed baby right before I leave.

2.5 ounce bottle at 1pm.

2.5 ounce bottle either after nap or at 3.

Nurse upon arrival. (in ur car if you can't at daycare)

At work. Pump on every break given.

A breastfed baby will usually consume too much milk via the bottle because it's a force feeding system. Nothing like the breast.
Check kellymom .com for pumping and bottle info. It's the leading source for REAL proven methods. Not just opinions or situational examples.

KaylaJayne 01-01-2013 04:17 PM

Thanks! I'll try this :)

I pump once at work because "technically" I don't get a break - I take a 15 minute pumping break at around 12:30/1

The only issue I see is that baby doesn't nurse on my schedule - I've tried to nurse him right before we leave for work or right when we get there but he refuses it just about every time.

I'm going to try this though... because I'd love to do exclusive breastmilk until he's at least 1

Nerissa 01-01-2013 04:29 PM

FWIW i tried the advise that keen suggested and I ended up with one pissed off baby. She was starving and screaming after an hour with the 2.5oz. When I went back to 3.5oz she ate every 2.5 to 3 hours..

Both DCP and Dh. Said the 2.5 ounces did not work. I dont believe they are over feeding her. Her eating pattern is pretty much the same when I am home and only nursing her.

How does you LO eat at night. I noticed an increase inneed during the day/morning when DD started sleeping all night.

I figure if I pump 4oz out of one breast and she only eats from one side at a time she is probably getting similar amount.

I would add the one ounce of formula.

All three of mine have taken 4 oz every three hours by 8 months.

Follow your instincts.

c&w's mama 01-01-2013 11:18 PM

I had a friend do this and it worked out fine. Add in an extra pumping session if you can-- but if that's a stresser, get in as many as possible. (If you do add formula, don't reduce pumping sessions) I've never tried less than 3 oz at a feeding-- and I can tell you that wasn't popular-- but with baby or teachers? I'll never know. (my bottles are 4-5 oz, and with first baby and no BF meetings to go to, I did send 6 oz. it is what it is- I can't go back in time.)

The constant overfeeding is a mom stresser for sure-- I'm not trying to specifically diagnose your situation, per se, but know from my own, my daycare providers wanted 6 oz at least like the formula babies. I never gave it, but it was a constant battle. I, too, feed at drop off- in the crib room so they know- and at pickup. I'm lucky in that I can walk over at lunch as well. But that didn't eliminate the drama. I needed my monthly meeting to keep me sane.

tibeca 01-02-2013 10:56 AM

If you can't add a pumping session at work, you could do one any other time of the day too.

And having you seen this? http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

I can easily get 1-2 extra ounces when pumping when I use this method.