Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Weaning Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   Through the night weaning... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1476894)

Mommy2JandS 01-01-2013 04:31 PM

Through the night weaning...

I don't necessarily want to force my DD to wean entirely, but she's 27 months old and sleeps typically on 2-3 hours at a time. She wakes up crying.. sometimes nearly screaming and will not go back to sleep unless I nurse her. I really don't mind her nursing at naptime and bedtime, but the waking up to nurse through the night and needing to stay attached to me in order to sleep is killing me. I have no DH support and never had with her sleeping. So in part I think she's developed some sleep issues b/c of bad habits. I also have a year old son with Sensory processing disorder and related sleeping issues, so in order to not wake him up I often nursed DD from infancy as to help her calm down and be quiet. I have a history of poor supply too, so I suspect much of her nursing is and has been for comfort. Does anyone have any advice to help me get her to sleep through the night without nursing. I kid you not she will not go to sleep without me and she will scream and cry if I refuse to nurse her when she wakes up. And I really wish I knew why she sleeps such a short time before waking up at night anyway.

daydreamr22 01-02-2013 12:02 PM

Re: Through the night weaning...

I have been going thru something like this with my boy. He has always wanted to nurse all night long! I would get him to sleep and get up to have some time to myself and he would wake up screaming after 30 min or so. A lot of it is for comfort, like you said. Over the last month I've noyiced that he will sleep until 3 or 5 am if he ate really well throughout the day. He is almost a year old and we are getting ready to put him in the crib to sleep. I have a feeling he we will need to let him do some crying until he gets used to the idea. It sounds like it will be a lot harder because you are trying to keep things peaceful for you other child. Is there anything you can do to make it a little more bearable for your other child while you are breaking her of the habit to nurse all night?

hailey1312 01-03-2013 08:09 AM

I am dealing with nearly the same thing, only dd is my only one. I would like to TTC but I just can't imagine having another right now when dd still nurses through the night. She wakes up crying if I am not there next to her. I think she'd be ok sleeping by herself if she could just put herself back to sleep. Have you tried comforting her back to sleep in another way? I won't do CIO and won't leave her to cry but if they are crying in your arms that is totally different. I haven't tried yet, but I am going to probably try comforting her back to sleep, rocking her or just holding her and see if that helps. How verbal is your 27 month old? My dd is almost 28 months old, and is pretty verbal but not as much as some either. I think helping prep them by talking about it might help, telling them we will go to sleep with milk then at night time, no more milk, that she can have milk when the sun comes up. Maybe telling her that milk is sleeping and when it's morning she can have milk

willowmom 02-02-2013 05:46 PM

She probably has an association with the boob and sleeping, which is normal for many kiddos. I was experiencing the same sleep cycles with DD. I recently have started to "night wean". I don't let her CIO, but I do have her cry in my arms while I rock, sing and rub her back until she falls back asleep. It was rough the first night, but quickly got better and it has led to at least one 7 or 8 hour chunk of sleep! I know this may be tough since you didn't want to wake your son, but letting her cry a bit so she realizes it's time to sleep might really be the only option if you want longer sleep periods. I found this to be the only way to get more sleep! Good luck mama!!!

foundrychick 02-11-2013 12:39 PM

I have been going through the same thing!! We co sleep and I have started to night wean about 3 or 4 times...each time I've been too tired to go through with it. My 15 mo old still nurses every 2- 3 hours at night and if I get up to go potty in the middle of the night- it's like his heat/boob seeking senses get triggered and starts screaming until I nurse him back to sleep. Thank you for making me feel like I'm not the only one out there!!!

birdinhand 02-11-2013 07:51 PM

Once my babies were about 18 months old, I would often turn my back to them when they woke to nurse. I was there, we were in the same bed, but I just couldn't fathom nursing right then. They would cry, and in the middle of the night it seemed like forever, but often it was not longer than 2 minutes. They would then settle down and go back to sleep. You just can't always do it! And they can reach an age where you can impose some limits.

Often moms feel like, it's all or nothing, either we nurse day and night, or we don't nurse at all. Elizabeth Pantley's boo, No-Cry Sleep Solution has some great ideas about cutting the night nursings down or stopping them.

dilya6722 02-22-2013 12:00 PM

I agree with the previous post - Pantley's book is amazing and using her ideas doesn't include any crying at all so you might wanna give it a try:-)

Catbutt Diapers 02-23-2013 03:11 PM

there is a book, called "Nursies when the sun shines" It is about a little girl learning to night wean. She wakes up in the night and her mom reminds her that there is no more nursing when it's dark out.
http://www.amazon.ca/Nursies-When-Sh...1657354&sr=8-1