Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Just curious.. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1477134)

Cassie330 01-02-2013 10:02 AM

Just curious..

How long have you been breastfeeding? And how long do you plan on breastfeeding?

My son has been breastfeeding for 9 month on the 7th, I'm hoping to nurse as long as he wants to.

HisFadedStar 01-02-2013 10:05 AM

This last baby has been nursing the longest and is 17 months. I will probably wean by 3 for personal preference.

l_Kimmie_l 01-02-2013 10:24 AM

Re: Just curious..

We will hit 9 months on the 11th and will go till he wants.

tibeca 01-02-2013 10:34 AM

I have been nursing for 56 months straight. My oldest weaned at 38 months, and am currently tandeming DD2 (25 months) and DD3 5 months.

cuddlebunny_24 01-02-2013 10:40 AM

With my oldest I nursed for four months. Which is when he weaned himself. He would not even take breastmilk from a bottle, so he went on formula and then eventually worked his way onto hypoallergenic formula, something in the milk based bugged his belly. However, he has not food allergies now at the age of 4, so IDK what that was about. With my toddler, I nursed exclusively for 6 months, then I was put on medication for a back problem and was told I would no longer be able to nurse. So onto formula he went, and a very unhappy boy he was. Then after about a month on the medication I found out what all was wrong with my back and it was thankfully an easy fix. So I questioned about possibly going back to nursing. After being told that I would not be able to because it had been at least a month since he nursed last, I decided to at least try to prove the doctors wrong. Granted he would not latch on because he was extremely confused. However after a few weeks of pumping every moment I got, and I mean every moment. I was finally able to get him up to six ounces a day of breastmilk. The WIC office told me to not push it because he was almost 9 months old at this point and by the time I got him back on all breastmilk he would be a year. I kept pushing and pumping and doing everything I could to get him breastmilk. So by the time 10 months rolled around he was on all but 6 ounces a day of breastmilk. I figured at that point I was satisfied with the amount that he was getting so I was not going to push for that last 6 ounces. That was the point that one night I was trying to give him his formula bottle before bed and he wanted to nurse. He was just shy of 11 months old when he finally latched on again. He had no more formula after that. He finally completely weaned from nursing at 17 months old. He is now 20 months old and going to be a big brother in a few months. I have a feeling me being pregnant had something to do with him weaning. Aside from the fact that he is a very active boy.

The biggest thing that got me motivated to get him back onto breastmilk was the fact that he was so much happier and healthier when he was on it. Plus I was told that I could not do it, and I am a very stubborn person and I will try my hardest at something before giving up. Oh and then come to find out the medication I was on...... I could breastfeed while taking. So he never had to quit in the first place.

Shimpie 01-02-2013 10:52 AM

27 months. I think it's time to wean, but DD has other plans. I've been slowly weaning DD, but we have setbacks everytime she gets sick. As soon as she's night weaned, she catches a colds and wants to nurse to sleep.

HeatherlovesCDs 01-02-2013 11:07 AM

Currently been nursing for almost 3 months. Plan to nurse at least a year, but hoping to make it for 2 years. (I have supply issues that cause problems as I get to around 7-8 months and by 12 months usually have not much left.)

#1 - nursed till he was 10 months....sort of...long story, but because of extenuating circumstances, he was no longer getting breastmilk after that time.

#2 and 3 (twins) - nursed till they were 16 months when I had no milk left. I was ready to wean because of battling thrush and my low milk supply.

#4 and 5 (twins) - nursed till they were 16 months. Again, I had almost no milk left. I would have continued, but my inlaws moved in making my nursing time much harder. (With the twins, I would just lift my shirt and let them sit on my lap. Everything was showing and I had to nurse out in the open because of my other children.) Because my supply was so low anyway, I just stopped fighting it. My twins didn't care and only asked once or twice after I stopped offering.

I'm REALLY wanting to make it to 2 years this time. We will see.

trying4more 01-02-2013 12:31 PM

DD is 10mths, almost 11.
Will nurse until she stops I guess. No magic # for us.

Lillikin 01-02-2013 12:58 PM

26 months and down to one nursing in the morning usually. I cut out other nursing sessions because my hormones were out of whack, but this is working for us right now, not sure how much longer she will insist to "urse" some mornings it's not priority, so we'll see!

Nerissa 01-02-2013 01:12 PM

DD is 3 months. My first goal is 9 months and if we make that 1 year. If we make it to a year i will stop pumping at work and wean slowly. She alreay sleeps 9pm till 5:30am (I wake her for that feeding)

DS1 only made it to 7 months
DS2 only made it till 8 months
both times I was no longer pumping more than an ounce or two during all my pumping sessions at work and had used up my freezer stock and they really didn't care.