Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   The Reading Lesson (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1477138)

snorris2 01-02-2013 10:06 AM

The Reading Lesson

Have you used this? What do you think of it? I ordered it on Amazon because It was only $16 and I think my daughter couod be successful with it.

With that said, we will be doing HOD LHFHG in the late summer/early fall. I've been planning to use AAR 1 along with it. The daycare I worked at closed down though, so our income dropped by $500 a month. I'm just trying to find ways to trim our budget. If we get a tax return, I will buy AAR then though. I already have the HOD set.

So all that to just find out people's experiences with this program. :)

2queens&1princenmyhouse 01-02-2013 05:45 PM

Re: The Reading Lesson

I am using it with DS. We both like it and feel like he's learning. He is pre-k, so we are taking it slow, but I already see him trying to sound out words in his environment or becoming excited when he sees a word he knows.

nolansmama 01-03-2013 12:07 AM

No experience yet but I have heard rave reviews for it! We will be starting it next week!

3girlymom 01-06-2013 07:51 AM

I used it with 2 of my girls, and we also use HOD (and have been for 5+ years)! :goodvibes: It took us about 1 1/2 school years to complete it, with each one. We could have moved a little faster, but I let the girls lead in that. We usually just did 2 pages each day. Once we got past half of the book, there were times when they'd want to do more when they realized we were close to the end of a section. We didn't write in our book, either.

After completion each girl went into the HOD emerging readers with no issues. There are some bigger words that I help them with, sometimes, but all in all they are reading quite well.

My 7yo just finished it, and we used it for LHFHG and Beyond. My 10yo, when she was in it, I can't remember what curriculum we were in. I know Beyond for sure. I can't remember about LHFHG. Right now my brain is on picking out things for the 13yo, 8th-9th and high school stuff.

For my oldest dd, way before our HOD days, I used 100EZ Lessons with her. This was certainly not a fit for the other 2.

The Reading Lesson is awesome. Just take it slow as you get use to it. Let the child be your guide on the pace to set. You may move faster sometimes than others.

rverrone11 01-09-2013 09:34 PM

We started the Reading Lesson in November just before my daughter's 5th birthday. She is doing very well with it, and it is really working for her. We are on lesson 6 now, and she is really picking it up and sounding out words in the environment.

CharmedMama 01-14-2013 08:35 PM

May I ask how this differs from Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons? I noticed from pictures on Amazon that it looks very similar on the inside. Getting ready to conentrate only on teaching my son to read and trying to go in the right direction. He will turn 5 in June, and I think this is where we are at for his skill level. We own this book, but wondering if it is the right place to start or right for us...