Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Formula Feeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   What milk after formula (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1477148)

upstategirl 01-02-2013 10:14 AM

What milk after formula

So, my ds will be one in two weeks. I not sure I want to switch right over to dairy milk. Formula will be ending though. He's a really good eater and I'm not worried about him getting that extra nutrition. Though I'm having problems as to what milk to switch him to. Soy milk is a GMO product, I heard Coconut milk has a lot of sugar in it if bought in the store. I have heard good things about hemp milk but, i want something somewhat close to cow's milk. Goat's milk is a choice but, not sold in my grocery store. Would have to find it and make an extra trip to get. LOL What milk alliterative do you drink?

HeatherM0529 01-02-2013 12:31 PM

Re: What milk after formula

We use cow's milk here.
Goat's milk is a great alternative. Do you have a Kroger or Kroger related (Fry's, Dillon's, Fred Meyer etc) because they have it in the organic section.

my2sweets 01-02-2013 02:17 PM

Is there a reason(allergy in the family or something?) as to why youre not sure about just starting with cows milk? Totally nosey I know but I always love to hear ppls reasoning about things. Ive learned a lot-or gained a lot of food for thought-over the yrs by being nosey :giggle:

I switched the girls to whole cows milk right around their 1st bdays. I plan on putting ds on whole organic cows milk around his 1st bday as well.

abunchoflemons 01-02-2013 02:28 PM

We did almond because mine didn't like whole milk rogue away.now whole

slimy72 01-02-2013 03:13 PM

Sorry no help here. We did a mix of toddler formula and cows milk. We were going to do whole milk, but my pediatrician said 2% was fine for him because he was a big boy and didn't need the whole.

srbordenstein 01-20-2013 04:36 PM

We slowly mixed formula and organic whole milk. I would check with your pediatrician just to make sure others have the right nutrients, fat content, protein, etc. I really like almond milk and I've heard it is fairly easy to make on your own...

Katledoodle 01-24-2013 10:46 AM

If there is no medical reason, you should just try organic cow's milk. Or just regular cow's milk. Full fat/whole.

AHASRADA 01-24-2013 11:48 AM

I used Baby's Only organic toddler formula, slowly adding organic whole milk until i was using 1/2 of each. Right around her 2nd birthday I replaced the toddler formula with organic fortified soy milk, and slowly switched from whole to 2% milk.

I've wanted to try some of the other milks, like rice or almond, but they are missing a lot of the nutrients found in dairy or soy, especially protein, so read the labels carefully.