Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Is the OB office not taking me seriously? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1477200)

MyM&W 01-02-2013 12:01 PM

Is the OB office not taking me seriously?

I'm 16 weeks pregnant today. I got in touch with one of the nurses last week regarding some overwhelming symptoms that I've been having for a few weeks now. Mainly being very very tired, way more tired in my 2nd trimester then I was in my 1st trimester. I'm ALWAYS cold, but sweat a ton at the same time. :headscratch: I've also gained way to much weight (15lbs at 16wks) Sometimes I gain as much as 3lbs in a few days! It's craziness. I exercise like crazy, I am spending more time exercising then I am with my kids. Its getting frustrating. I eat a very healthy vegetarian diet. But yet I keep gaining no matter what I do. Its all in vain. :( I'm to the point where I'm getting depressed with myself. I'm trying so hard to control this weight issue and I can't. :( Its so out of control. I feel so gross. I'm starting to obsess over it. Sometimes I don't even want to eat because I know it will make me gain, even if its healthy!! :cry::cry::cry:

My dh says my hands are always freezing, to the point where he doesn't even want me touching his bare skin lol. It doesn't matter how much sleep I get, I still feel like I hit a wall around noon time. My eyes are always heavy. I was getting constipated a few weeks ago but started to do green smoothies in the morning which has helped, but I know if I wasn't doing them I'd be all kinds of backed up.

My local doctors office did a thyroid check back in Sept, it was RIGHT before I got pregnant. I had them fax that to the OB's office and just got a call from the nurse saying the doctor said it was normal and that I can discuss my weight issue at the next appt (4 weeks away) she obviously forgot about the other symptoms I've had because she said "if the symptoms start to get worse and you feel like you are fatigued..." I told her I am VERY fatigued and named all my other symptoms. She said she would run it by the doc at some point and call back and see if she will sign off for another thyroid check. I just feel awful. I'm moodier then I've EVER been during pregnancy. I'm sometimes a royal bag to dh. I know this crap is making me depressed, Ive dealt with depression before and know the feeling and its starting to feel that way this past week.

I feel as if they office isn't taking me seriously. I told the nurse the last draw was before I was pregnant and that pregnancy normally triggers mine to act up, but she said the doctor knew that and wanted me to wait. If you google hypothyroidism you can read the stuff that it can cause, it can cause babies to be delayed if untreated and the 2nd trimester and 3rd trimester is the worse time for it to happen. I really just want to cry. This makes me to mad. I work so hard at being healthy and I just feel like I'm so unhealthy at this point. :cry:
I'm honestly thinking about just paying for a thyroid check out of my own pocket just to see if something is going on..can I do that??

becky1231 01-02-2013 12:19 PM

Re: Is the OB office not taking me seriously?

Can you have your other Dr.(the one from Sept.) order you a blood test.

CntryMama 01-02-2013 12:20 PM

If it was your thyroid more then likely it will test fine during a pregancy - almost all autoimmune problems (like thyroid) will act normal during a pregancy... So, right now even if you had a thyroid problem before pregnancy it will more then likely test normal beacuase it is working normal.

I would get a differant doctor who could explain to you why it would be pointless to test for a thyroid problem during pregnancy since yours did not help!

What about problems with Pre E? Sometimes weight gain can be because of that... How is your salt intake? If it is to high you could be retaining water.

chandni3 01-02-2013 12:31 PM

I'd try to find another OB. One that is willing to see you when you want to be seen and is willing to take you seriously. We know our bodies and we know when something is off. I'd call again and insist on seeing him now. If they won't make an appointment then start calling around to other OBs. Another option is to go into Emerg. Say you've been feeling funny and been very tired.
How is your iron intake? Maybe up that a bit.

iwiamandaiwi 01-02-2013 12:35 PM

isn't weight gain, being cold all the time, and being super tired all signs of diabetes? maybe you have gestational diabetes???? BTW i am no where near a doctor, lol. I am probably way off it is just what popped in to my head when i read your post

stevensmom 01-02-2013 12:37 PM

I was thinking diabetes too...mama go to a different ob...or even if you need to call the er and see what they suggest...maybe a same day clinic?

Don't know...but hope you get answers soon

becky1231 01-02-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CntryMama (Post 16105615)
If it was your thyroid more then likely it will test fine during a pregancy - almost all autoimmune problems (like thyroid) will act normal during a pregancy... So, right now even if you had a thyroid problem before pregnancy it will more then likely test normal beacuase it is working normal.

I would get a differant doctor who could explain to you why it would be pointless to test for a thyroid problem during pregnancy since yours did not help!

What about problems with Pre E? Sometimes weight gain can be because of that... How is your salt intake? If it is to high you could be retaining water.

My thyroid always played up during Pregnancy. I am hypo and had to have my meds up several times with each pregnancy.

MyM&W 01-02-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by becky1231 (Post 16105608)
Can you have your other Dr.(the one from Sept.) order you a blood test.

Possible. I will call and ask.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CntryMama (Post 16105615)

Mines always acted up during pregnancies. :( I do not do a lot of salt. And I use pink salt to so it doesn't cause a lot of the issues white salt does.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chandni3 (Post 16105669)
I'd try to find another OB. One that is willing to see you when you want to be seen and is willing to take you seriously. We know our bodies and we know when something is off. I'd call again and insist on seeing him now. If they won't make an appointment then start calling around to other OBs. Another option is to go into Emerg. Say you've been feeling funny and been very tired.
How is your iron intake? Maybe up that a bit.

I think I'm getting the recommended dose of iron, I do have some iron pills I could try and see if that helps. :) thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwiamandaiwi (Post 16105691)
isn't weight gain, being cold all the time, and being super tired all signs of diabetes? maybe you have gestational diabetes???? BTW i am no where near a doctor, lol. I am probably way off it is just what popped in to my head when i read your post

Possible. My mom and half of the people on her side of the family are diabetic. I have noticed that when I don't eat something every 3 hours I get very sick feeling and get shaky and feel very very weird, which happens to my mom when her sugar drops.

Also, not sure if it is linked but before pregnancy I had major vison loss. I ended up in the er because everything went blurry several times. I'm a contacts wearer also. I ended up being seen by the eye doc and they said that the vison loss that I had they normally wouldn't see in older people of the course of YEARS. They thought it was from the Wellbutrin I started a couple weeks prior (to help kick the smoking habit I picked up during summer) so they told me to stop the Wellbutrin and come back in 2 weeks. Not much change. So I have to go back in the spring and if my ryes didn't improve (which I doubt they have...I can still barley read with contacts in) then I have to get those glasses with the lines (forgot what they are called haha). So I am beginning to think it wasn't the Wellbutrin since my eyes continue to worsen. Is that linked to diabetes also??

iwiamandaiwi 01-02-2013 01:36 PM

GL, I hope your doctor takes you seriously but I would also recommend finding a new doctor asap. I've never heard of pink salt, I will have to google that.

MDever 01-02-2013 01:43 PM

I was going to suggest that you test your blood sugar.