Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   How to Ruin a Cloth Diaper - blog (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1477213)

mrspopo 01-02-2013 01:42 PM

How to Ruin a Cloth Diaper - blog
 
http://rumparooz.blogspot.com/2013/0...h-diapers.html

Kanga Care just put out an article about ways you can ruin a cloth diaper. I don't know about you, but lists like these just give me more things to worry about! I've never heard that line-drying was bad? Too much sun? Didn't know that was even possible.

christinewith4 01-02-2013 01:45 PM

Re: How to Ruin a Cloth Diaper - blog
 
well, I do remember my diapers getting hard and crunchy if/when I hung them in the sun...

SO... I'd say it'd be a lot like my 17yr old Son's socks--- he wears them until they are "crunchy" and at that point the "stretch" of the fabric is gone and they just tear into pieces.... :giggle:

(your welcome for the visual-at least i didnt post pics) :blush: :thumbsup:

itiswhatitis1984 01-02-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrspopo
http://rumparooz.blogspot.com/2013/0...h-diapers.html

Kanga Care just put out an article about ways you can ruin a cloth diaper. I don't know about you, but lists like these just give me more things to worry about! I've never heard that line-drying was bad? Too much sun? Didn't know that was even possible.

I feel like that anyone considering cding would stop considering if they read that article. I think the article offers fear instead of help. Some of the stuff I feel goes without saying. Like continually using the same 14 diapers will cause them to wear out faster than a larger rotation would. Putting diapers on a wood stove, her husband did it. For the most part men aren't as educated on cding as the moms are (also covers the dad washing wool). As far as sun I've always heard good things about it. I could see it causing damage maybe if they are in direct sunlight for a VERY long time every day or if someone is using a magnifying glass to reflect the sun directly to one isolated spot. Over all I don't think I would over think taking care of my diapers. Some people have diapers wear out sooner than others despite what they do. As long as you know the basics and go with your gut you should be ok.

cdeweese 01-02-2013 02:11 PM

Re: How to Ruin a Cloth Diaper - blog
 
Sunlight can be a big problem in the summer here in Texas (100+ daily) and it tends or be harder on the diapers than the dryer.

Wanted to edit to say that this person doesn't know enough about other diaper brands to be commenting about them. And she's really just making the represented brand look sensitive and cheap by showing all of the ways she's ruined them (and she's supposed to be an expert) KWIM?

boysniris 01-02-2013 02:21 PM

Re: How to Ruin a Cloth Diaper - blog
 
IDK, it's inevitable that when diapers are used and washed and used and washed and used and washed...YES they will wear out.

Sorry but some of the things that are not recommended, like bleach and using Tide Free and Gentle, we have to do or else I have stinky ammonia diapers that burn my son overnight. Not happening under my watch! Yes I have a FLer, NO I'm not buying a TLer, non-HE, to wash diapers :banghead: Do people really do that?!?

I do think a lot of what's in that blog is common-sense. Don't abuse the stash ;)

shen7 01-02-2013 02:38 PM

LOL, I do sanitize cycle, bleach, medium/hot dryer, mainstream detergents, bac out... it works for me! Same stash on my DD for almost a year now, nice clean diapers. Guess it's a good thing I don't have RaRs... wow, TOO MUCH SUN, watch out!!!! Those things are like delicate lingerie!!!

(Though I do agree with the Texas sun. In that case it is the heat as well. I was always afraid to sun anything with snaps in the Mississippi summer heat when we lived there! It was hotter than my dryer, I am pretty sure!)

cdeweese 01-02-2013 02:41 PM

Re: How to Ruin a Cloth Diaper - blog
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by shen7 (Post 16105999)
LOL, I do sanitize cycle, bleach, medium/hot dryer, mainstream detergents, bac out... it works for me! Same stash on my DD for almost a year now, nice clean diapers. Guess it's a good thing I don't have RaRs... wow, TOO MUCH SUN, watch out!!!! Those things are like delicate lingerie!!!

(Though I do agree with the Texas sun. In that case it is the heat as well. I was always afraid to sun anything with snaps in the Mississippi summer heat when we lived there! It was hotter than my dryer, I am pretty sure!)

Hahaha! I totally agree! They get poop/peed in, but we should wash our clothes more roughly?!? They are the dirtiest things in my house, they are getting CLEAN :giggle2:

Kabuki24 01-02-2013 02:46 PM

Re: How to Ruin a Cloth Diaper - blog
 
I took that article with a grain of salt. I think sunning or bleaching, etc should be done in moderation, but ya know if you pour a gallon of bleach in every load and leave your diapers out in 100+ degree sun for 10 hours, yeah, probably you might have issues with your diapers.

qsefthuko 01-02-2013 02:52 PM

Re: How to Ruin a Cloth Diaper - blog
 
I haven't read the article yet but bet she missed one way to ruin a diaper.

I used a prefold as a hot pad one day. I didn't have it well folded up and it caught fire. Yup finally figured it out. Fire will most definitely ruin your diapers when in direct contact with the flames.

seacat 01-02-2013 02:57 PM

Re: How to Ruin a Cloth Diaper - blog
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by boysniris (Post 16105910)
IDK, it's inevitable that when diapers are used and washed and used and washed and used and washed...YES they will wear out.

Sorry but some of the things that are not recommended, like bleach and using Tide Free and Gentle, we have to do or else I have stinky ammonia diapers that burn my son overnight. Not happening under my watch! Yes I have a FLer, NO I'm not buying a TLer, non-HE, to wash diapers :banghead: Do people really do that?!?

I do think a lot of what's in that blog is common-sense. Don't abuse the stash ;)

:yeahthat: I've had some of our diapers for years and I do all those naughty things to them. :) They are in awesome shape and clean. Scare tactics. I always preach to the size of the stash it doesn't have to be huge, but it has to be enough and you must exercise common sense.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors