Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   How big was your newborn stash? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1477229)

emg86 01-02-2013 02:25 PM

How big was your newborn stash?

I'm due in May and have slowly started working on gathering some newborn/size 1 diapers so that we can cloth from day 1. I've got a few Lil' Joeys, Thirsties covers and Thirsties AIO size 1. I've also got a few random Swaddlebees and Blueberry. I just don't know how many diapers would be enough! I've read anything from 18-24 would be a good number to have. So, if you CD from the start, how many diapers did you have in rotation and what were your favorites? Thanks!

cdeweese 01-02-2013 02:28 PM

Re: How big was your newborn stash?

I'm also due in May and am planning on having around 40-50 diapers (1-2 dozen prefolds). DS went through a ton of diapers as a newborn. When this LO gets here Ill have two in diapers (NB will have sized diapers since I have small babies) and the number I gave will just be NB.

Oops! Also meant to say the reason for having so many NB is that I'll already be doing enough laundry between 3 kids (2 in cloth). I don't want to overburden myself :giggle:

supermomof2 01-02-2013 02:32 PM

36 (combination of fitteds and prefolds) plus 12 covers. Fitteds are great for containing the newborn poop but I also liked the prefolds because they were less expensive.

emg86 01-02-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supermomof2
36 (combination of fitteds and prefolds) plus 12 covers. Fitteds are great for containing the newborn poop but I also liked the prefolds because they were less expensive.

How often did you do laundry?

nonipie 01-02-2013 02:58 PM

The fewest I have done was 18 and the most was 40. My ideal is probably around 30 with washing every other day.

homebirthmom 01-02-2013 03:05 PM

i would wash daily and had about 16. that worked w a newborn but as baby got bigger i was more tired so I say 20-24 is perfect amount. never go more than 2 days washing cause its not great for your diapers/cause stink issues I think.

supermomof2 01-02-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emg86 (Post 16106067)
How often did you do laundry?

Monday, Wednesday, Friday. And I always had some left over each wash day, too, so I could have technically gone longer in between washes but didn't. I don't like letting the diapers go more than two full days in the diaper pail, so that's a schedule I still do now with him at ten months and going through a lot fewer dipes each day. I usually do them Friday afternoon and then first thing Monday morning, so that's slightly over 2 1/2 days in the pail during the longest stretch. :) Works fantastically for me, too, because it's worked into my schedule on those days and I don't have any oh-crud-I-HAVE-to-wash-diapers-NOW moments. ;)

Tina5834 01-02-2013 03:28 PM

24 flats
24 preemie prefolds
12 newborn prefolds
3 prorap newborn covers
2 thirsties duo size 1 covers
2 thirsties duo size one pockets

Mom2ManyBlessings 01-02-2013 03:31 PM

I've used cloth with quite a 3 NB's and never needed the 36 like everyone suggested, 24 was plenty. But that's because I usually have 3 in diapers when I have a baby :giggle: and my pail is full after 2 days. But this time I plan on having 36 as a minimum mainly it's fun to have lots of variety and cute diapers. :)

hilaryisinked 01-02-2013 03:34 PM

Way too small for DD1. I had 18 diapers and only 12 fit. For DD2 I had 36-40 diapers I can't remember. But she ended up peeing through everything within 30 minutes (a disposable within an hour) so I didn't even use my newborn cloth. Then I gave it all to an acquaintance back home who didn't even use it :banghead:. Biggest waste of money ever.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum