Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Breast refusal...any hope? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1477241)

li'l skeeter 01-02-2013 02:49 PM

Breast refusal...any hope?

My 3 month old has refused to breastfeed for the past month ever since I returned to work:cry:He's a champ at taking the bottle, so I'm EP'ing to get him the good stuff. Last week I was able to get him to latch on and nurse for 20 min., twice that day and the best he has ever nursed!However, he still basically refuses...is there any hope he may breastfeed again? He was born 6 weeks early and has always been fussy at the breast...i almost cry every time I see a mama nursing her little one because I so badly want that interaction!:bfinfant:

kristinco 01-02-2013 04:52 PM

Re: Breast refusal...any hope?

My DS has been on a nursing strike for about 3.5 months. Started when he was 4 months old. I can only get him to nurse at night/early morning, otherwise he just screams and refuses. He wants a bottle. It has been a real hassle and stresses me out so much. I pump at work and when he won't nurse, but it has hurt my supply so that I have to supplement with formula. We're at about 12 beast milk, 1/2 formula. Drives me nuts, but haven't figured out how to fix it since he has to have a bottle when I'm at work. It's not like I can refuse to give him a bottle and wait him out.

I feel your pain. All you can do is offer the breast first every time and try to hold out until he nurses, and if not then pump, pump, pump! Good luck, mama! Either way, your baby will be okay :)

court3189 01-02-2013 05:34 PM

When you bottle feed what bottle/technique are you using? I don't have the link handy...but Google Dee Kassing bottle feeding the breastfed baby....I'm wondering if this technique might make the transition back and forth easier.

homebirthmom 01-02-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kristinco (Post 16106607)
My DS has been on a nursing strike for about 3.5 months. Started when he was 4 months old. I can only get him to nurse at night/early morning, otherwise he just screams and refuses. He wants a bottle. It has been a real hassle and stresses me out so much.

I feel your pain. All you can do is offer the breast first every time and try to hold out until he nurses, and if not then pump, pump, pump! Good luck, mama! Either way, your baby will be okay :)

i had this exact same thing. he finally gave in at about 6 months and nursed till he was 2 1/2. i would pump during day and feed a bottle immediatley after and nurse at night. wasnt fun but I stuck it thru thinking it was just nipple confusion and a strike. I was right!! so hang in there and keep trying

BellaPepper 01-02-2013 09:24 PM

I would go see a Lactation Consultant.

menthomas 01-02-2013 10:34 PM

My ds2 did this when I went back to work. And we discovered we were using a fast flow nipple. So he was able to basically do nothing a get milk. And then when he went to bf it was hard work. So we switched to a slow flow nipple and he never fussed again. So check your nipple flow on the bottle.

Foxsma 01-03-2013 09:43 AM

I don't produce enough to EBF but I do nurse still, pump and rely on donation. I had HORRID problems with latch in the beginning due to a lactation nurse that basically traumatized him from the get go. After getting a good LC, it took a LONG time (he's 9 weeks now, I'd say it took a good six weeks) but he did finally latch well.

I cried like a crazy person because he'd SCREAM at the breast for the longest time, didn't want to latch, and I so badly wanted the bonding. Now he's a champ at it, just keep going. Don't force him but keep trying, that's what worked for me! I still can't EBF and I hate giving him bottles, but since he doesn't tolerate formula very well we just keep trying to find more donors (had a couple already who were great but had limited supply), and I keep on nursing and pumping. I know how hard it is but keep at it, it'll work!