Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   EC - Elimination Communication (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Part-time EC Questions (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1477259)

k_21 01-02-2013 02:23 PM

Part-time EC Questions

I have a 7 week old boy, and I've been dabbling in EC. I read "Diaper Free: The Gentle Wisdom of Natural Infant Hygiene" and a bunch of online resources. I've been able to catch over half of my son's poops just by trying after a breastfeeding session. I can tell when he needs to poop, but I have no idea what his cues are for pees. He usually goes while breastfeeding (at least his wet diapers indicate this), and I know some use a bucket to solve this problem. I can't figure out what kind of container to use and how to use it so that we both don't get messy. His boy bits have me stumped since they tend to spray all over.

I tried diaper free time in order to pick up on his cues, but he peed without me noticing. I put a thin cloth over him to prevent a fountain, but the pee ended up puddled beneath his bottom without me noticing. Again, I'm unsure how to handle him being a boy.

And if I decide to ignore the pees for awhile, will that mess everything up in the long term? He seems to pee all the time, and I try to change him often, but I have to admit that taking him potty that often right now sounds exhausting.

Thank you in advance. I feel very clueless.

mel j 01-04-2013 07:46 PM

Re: Part-time EC Questions

When my babies were that little I held them over the toilet with me sitting backwards; my son's bottom was deep enough in the toilet that spraying wasn't a problem. I don't remember if I tried anything else at that age...

strongwoman 01-06-2013 09:23 PM

Take it easy mama! If you are exhausted, get the rest you need first. It took me about two weeks to get my little ones cues for peeing. I started at about the same time you are. There's a very thorough book at www.ecsimplified.com by Andrea Olson which really helps to break down the steps to take throughout the journey. Just keep observing him during nakie time. Eventually you will make a "catch"!

waterisntsomething 01-06-2013 09:41 PM

Around that age I would just hold DS over the sink and make the ssss sound before diaper changes, after nursing. upon waking, etc...pooping was easy and pees were just luck. I fell off the wagon for a while and now that he is a year I don't bother catching pees. I catch all his poops though. He hasn't pooped in his diaper since about 6 months. It's become a weird concept for me to know a kid is pooping and not take the diaper off and hold them over a potty :giggle: Anyways, theres really no right or wrong. Just do what you can and try to pay attention to his cues. I let DS have a lot of naked time now and I still never see a pee coming. He just pees at random.

k_21 01-07-2013 08:39 AM

Thanks for all the replies!

Pixi6s 01-07-2013 08:46 AM

If you figure out a bucket when nursing, put the same cloth or prefold over him to prevent spraying. Also it won't mess everything up if you don't figure out the pees right away!

We didn't start until later and only did parttime so my son was in diapers until PL, but we also had alot of dry diapers. Do what works for your family. Just because you can't figure out the pees now, doesn't mean you can't next week. :)

I really liked the book diaper free baby by Christine Gross-Loh unlike what the title suggested it was very supportive of parttime EC and starting late. You might not learn anything that you didn't reading the diaper free book but it might help you feel more comfortable finding your own path.

I felt like Bauer's book was very preachy, start day 1 and my way or the hw. I was able to read it with a grain of salt and did learn alot though. Gross-Loh's book made we want to start EC even at 9 months, she got me excited and made me feel that we could do even with me working full time. Great read!

big congrats for starting early! I hope I am able to figure it out early next time around :)

pacopoe 01-23-2013 12:33 AM

Sorry to put this crassly, but we always go by the wiener. If it's really small, he probably doesn't have to go, if it gets bigger then we offer, and if it starts twitching then watch out because it's about to shower! In the traditional hold it's pretty easy to aim it with your finger while you are still grasping a leg, so that's how we do it.

Congrats on starting early and having so much success! It truly is a great way to learn more about your child.