Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Extra Fluffy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   WHY do some diaper makers.... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1477307)

WildHoney 01-02-2013 05:59 PM

WHY do some diaper makers....

Not have covered snaps on the inside of the diaper? I hate finding snap marks in my baby's skin. I just don't get it, when I am paying a nice chunk of change for a WAHM diaper, I expect the details.

3lilbubs 01-02-2013 06:05 PM

Re: WHY do some diaper makers....

1. it's not always possible to put them in before sewing together, meaning not enough room to sew around them with the presser foot.

2. it takes more time. I used to think diaper biz's were making a fortune off their sales until I started sewing my own. The materials are very costly.

3. not every baby is bothered by them, mine never were.

Scaethach 01-02-2013 08:08 PM

How the rise setup works makes a lot of difference. Foldover rise you can't really hide the snaps unless you put a flap over it, which adds a lot of bulk. My kids aren't bothered by the snaps either, but are bothered by other things, so I choose my diapers accordingly.

For DD I sewed a TON of newborn fitteds and hid the snaps, and it didn't even matter since the flap soaker covered most of it. Then i went to a foldover rise diaper pattern and started putting the snaps in prior to sewing, not even thinking about it and oops. Let's say taking them out takes a lot longer than putting them in to begin with :blush:

drunkenmonkeysmommy1 01-02-2013 08:12 PM

as others have stated, not all babies are bothered by them. I made snap covers for my ds. That made a world of difference!

boysniris 01-02-2013 10:08 PM

I mainly think the reason is that it's more work, and sometimes may not be possible. Many WAHMs offer a cover that you can snap across the inner snaps to eliminate any possible irritation

SunflowerMommy 01-03-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lilbubs (Post 16106912)
1. it's not always possible to put them in before sewing together, meaning not enough room to sew around them with the presser foot.

2. it takes more time. I used to think diaper biz's were making a fortune off their sales until I started sewing my own. The materials are very costly.

3. not every baby is bothered by them, mine never were.

This exactly. In order to do hidden snaps you have to make the wings wider (on a side snapping) which could add bulk. Depending on the pattern it's not always possible to do that. A lot of one size designs there is no way around having exposed snaps. Also, if a snap breaks it's very time consuming to replace a hidden snap as you would have to rip out the stitching to get at it.

mhaddon 01-03-2013 01:59 PM

I've been around a while and never had trouble... Maybe you snap too tight?? I don't see how they are any different than snaps on the back (neck) of some baby tops. They aren't covered either.