Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Odds of another early baby? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1477418)

Mama*Kim 01-03-2013 12:46 AM

DS1 was an easy pregnancy until the end when I was miserably uncomfortable with PUPPs rash. I was induced at 38 weeks supposedly due to my OB thinking I had a kidney issue. Honestly, I think he just wanted to induce me before the holidays (DS1 was born 12/19). DS2 was an insanely easy pregnancy. I worked as a chef and server right up until the day I went into labor which was at 36+4. The doctor didn't have any real answers as to why he came early, but he was very tangled in his cord, so that may have contributed. Other than moderately low blood sugar at birth and reflux (still, sigh), he's very healthy.

Anyway, one fear I have about ever having another baby is whether my odds of having another baby even earlier. Anybody know anything about this? With one full term baby and one "late term preemie", do my odds of having another early baby go up?

jbug_4 01-03-2013 05:34 AM

Re: Odds of another early baby?

I don't think so. i don't know for sure but I think the odds only go up if the babies are much earlier. I had a 36w5d(1st)- 5lbs 10oz and a 38w1d (2nd)- 7lbs 4oz. No one even question the timing of my first since it was close enough to full term and it was over shadowed by my percipitious labor- a hour and half, tearing, baby born on the side of the road in an ambulance, brought to a hospital we were not registered at since baby was born en-route, no medical records, extra day to make sure no infection and to wait on records. They weren't really concerned with her being 36 weeks. the suspected cause of the labor (and probably the earlier delivery) was previous trauma to the cervix (several punch biopsies the last one being the year before pregnancy).

SaraElise 01-03-2013 07:59 AM

I think it really depends on why babies are born early to determine if future babies will be as well.

My first was born at 38w 3d, my second 36w 3d, my third 37w.

I have a VERY irritable uterus that my Dr's don't seem to think is a big deal. I start having daily contractions around 20w or earlier (though they are not really doing anything at that point) and I usually put myself on pelvic rest (even though my Dr's say there is no need) by 31 weeks because they get so painful and hard to stop after sex at that point.

With all 3 of mine I was in active labor within 2 hours after sex...so yeah, I am going to say that plays a HUGE role for me when they come. If I take it easy, and stay off my feet I can keep them in longer.

I think for PROM it's also common for it to happen early again. Sometimes it's just a fluke.

mibarra 01-03-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaraElise (Post 16108816)
I think it really depends on why babies are born early to determine if future babies will be as well.

This exactly. You're first was an induction, so that doesn't really count. Your body did not spontaneously go into labor early. With you're second, if the cord was tangled, that could be why he came early. My perinatologist told me that on reason babies come early is that the womb becomes unsafe for them, for whatever reason. I don't know the odds, but I wouldn't be super concerned if I was you. But I know that doesn't change your feelings! We had a really bad experience with DD1, and even though everything was fine with DD2, with baby number 3 I'm still nervous! :goodvibes:

nonipie 01-03-2013 12:53 PM

I don't think so. I had PROM at 38 weeks with DS1, PROM at 35 weeks with DD and then went all the way to 40 weeks with my third and had to be induced because of my BP. I was the least stressed and emotional with my 3rd though. Also I was the least sick and didn't lose any weight like I did with the other two so I think he was thriving so much he was content to cook longer. So I do agree that the other two came earlier because it was safer for them on the outside past a certain point.

trying4more 01-03-2013 01:05 PM

My second was randomly born at 36+2. The rest of my kids were in the 39th week.

Mommy/4boys 01-03-2013 02:05 PM

I am not sure of the odds but each one of mine came earlier. My oldest was induced at 39 weeks due to IUGR. My second was born at 37 weeks and had a complete knot in his cord. My third came at 35 weeks no issues and not reason for why he came early. He was my biggest baby so I always wondered if that was why he came when he did. My fourth came at 34 weeks and again no known reason he came.

adavieau 01-03-2013 02:27 PM

My midwife said that she usually sees babies come within 10ish days of their siblings (ie, child one born at 37 weeks, next born at 38 weeks 2days etc.)

It wasn't entirely true for me. DD1 was born at 36 weeks 3 days, Ds1 was born at 38 weeks 4 day ds2 was born at 39 weeks exactly.

While DD had a few issues from being a bit early (trouble with the suck swallow reflex, jaundice, slow weight gain) she was fine but I was still nervous about having another "early" baby. It didn't end up being an issue.

harmoni247 01-03-2013 02:41 PM

The chance of having a premature birth increases if you've already had one, that is backed by studies. However, as far as I know, premature is prior to 36 weeks.

bfoster2000 01-03-2013 02:48 PM

Every one of mine has come later....first was 34.5 weeks (PROM), second was 39 weeks, and third was 40+3.