Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Newborn loosing weight...HELP! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1477479)

nursemama23 01-03-2013 08:53 AM

Newborn loosing weight...HELP!

DS was born on the 23rd weighing 7lb 5.1oz, a little early at 36w5d. Discharge weight on the 25th was 6lb 13oz, weight at 4d 6lb 8oz. My milk started coming in around day 3/4. He's a sleepy baby (preterm and jaundice) and I have to wake him to nurse every 2ish hours. Back for a weight check today and he's down to 6lb 6.9oz. He's having plenty of wet and dirty diapers, he latches well and I can hear him swallow. I do have to wake him during feeds. Peds wants me to supplement him (with pumped milk) after every feed today and he has to go back for a weight check tomorrow. This is my fourth baby and all have been bf'd. Even my third who was a 32weeker didn't have weight gain issues. I need suggestions!

qsefthuko 01-03-2013 09:10 AM

Re: Newborn loosing weight...HELP!

Can you nurse consecutive times on the same side? Say at 2 nurse on the left side. 2 hours later start again on the left side. The next 2 feedings would then be on the right side. It could be baby is getting too much fore milk and not enough fat rich hind milk. Also during the day can you try nursing hourly. It is time consuming but this was what all 3 of my kids did the first month. During the night try every 2-3 hours.

qsefthuko 01-03-2013 09:13 AM

I would also insist on the doctors office using the same scale when you take him back in. It may be the previous scale or even this scale was off.

nursemama23 01-03-2013 09:56 AM

I have been nursing on the same side for 2 consecutive feeds today, trying to increase the calories in my diet and nursing every 1 1/2hours. They did use the same scale (one scale on "sick" side, one scale on "well" side, we've only been on the well side). Hoping everything I started doing on my own plus the supplemental feedings will help. So frustrating:(

Nerissa 01-03-2013 10:18 AM

My DD has the same issues (except she was born at 39 weeks and 8lbs) she had trouble gaining weight the first two weeks. Lost more once we got home, jaundice, very sleepy ect. My ped said just keep nursing every 1 to 2 hours and not let her go more than 2.5hours between feedings. It took her about 4 weeks to get back to her birth weight and then she really started gaining. My ped and the LC also said to strip her down to her diaper when feeding and to rub her feet. That kept her sucking and getting milk instead of just nibbling. Once all those things were adjusted she started gaining weight more quickly.

She still hasn't gained as fast as my boys though.

I also went to see a LC (free at our local hospital) to check latch and she tweeked my latch and did a weight check before/after feeding to see if she was taking in milk or just nursing and not really getting anything. One my latch was better that helped too.

Edited to add: that my 35w NB took longer to gain also. He ate almost every hour at first. His jaundice was really bad (needed the bili blanket at home)

nursenmom 01-03-2013 11:23 AM

I think things will look better for you tomorrow. He is within 2 oz of up to 10% weight loss they expect. (I'm not familiar with early babies but I would think they have the same standard) Good luck, and keep doing what you are doing.

Mayghan 01-03-2013 12:12 PM

I had to check who wrote this again cause other than the weights it was exactly the same thing for us. My DD was born ay 37w1d, she had jaundice and would not gain weight, she actually stayed right around 6lbs for 2 entire weeks. The jaundice started going down but it wasnt until she was 4 weeks old that she finally started gaining. I think it was related to the jaundice but I did pump 10 minutes after she ate from whatever breast she ate on, and took fenugreek, once in a while she still acted hungry after eating so we'd supplement her with what I had pumped. Trust the wet/dirty diapers, I kept tract of them and they surpassed what the minimums were, for some reason she just didn't gain. Hang in there!

tibeca 01-03-2013 12:57 PM

Sometimes weight loss appears extreme in relation to birth weight because of the fluids moms get during labor. Were you give IV fluids during labor?

There has been some discussion about changing weighing baby until 24 hours after birth, as that weight is MUCH closer to where it should be. If you do the 10% at the 2nd weight, you get 6# 2 oz as being 10% weight loss and leaves him well within normal limits.

If things don't look better tomorrow consider a consult with an IBCLC to look at other possible breastfeeding factors.

nursemama23 01-03-2013 02:13 PM

I mentioned the IV fluid at our appt a week ago and that was part of why they didn't get to concerned last week, the continued weight loss a week later was what caused them to want to monitor a little closer.

nursemama23 01-04-2013 09:19 AM

Update: he gained 1.2oz since yesterday!