Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   Mudroom...entryway - anyone want to share photos? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1477480)

divabeadz 01-03-2013 09:53 AM

Mudroom...entryway - anyone want to share photos?

The post about where to put coats reminded me I need help with a mudroom/entryway. Ours is unfinished and at the moment is just subfloor and beams b/c to make a long story short, DH relocated our door so we don't have a *proper* entryway. We live in snow country though so I think we'll need a mudroom rather than a simple entryway because for up to 6 months of the year, snow or mud could get tracked in. Right now I don't have anywhere for people to put their snow boots so while they wipe their feet on the doormat, they still track into the kitchen so the kitchen floor needs to be mopped nonstop...and we end up with a mass of coats hanging on the wall. I'd love to see photos of your entryway/mudrooms to get ideas on how to handle our issue so I'll know what to tell DH I want done as he works on completing that area of the house.

So bring it on, post photos of your entryway or mudroom!

solarbabies 01-03-2013 11:21 AM

Re: Mudroom...entryway - anyone want to share photos?

Ours is more like a porch...unfinished as well. Just a plywood floor and yucky dark brown wood paneling. And no pics sorry....it has all the boxes for the thrift store in it right now lol. Plus, the dryer vents into it, so it always has lint all over. Ugh, i hate that 'room' and the fact that anyone that comes into our house has to come through it!

~Laura~ 01-03-2013 11:22 AM

I actually don't have a picture but our entry way is like 12x5 feet. There's just a bench sitting in it that I keep mittens, hats, scarves and umbrellas in. I keep a mat for boots in a small coat closet, during inclement weather. DH and I hang our coats in the coat closet. (Although I'm thinking of moving them to our closet with all of our other clothing.) The kids keep their coats in their closets.
Nothing exciting, but it works for us. If the weather was bad more often, I'd hang my wooden drying rack in place of the bench.

cherylchoo 01-03-2013 04:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have a mudroom/laundry room next to my garage. I have three kids and we have four seasons here, so lots of winter gear at the moment. ;)

Each kid has a five hook rack, with a raincoat, winter coat, lighter jacket, jean jacket (Xmas gift from family, grrr), and snow pants in addition to their backpacks. Then underneath each kid has a boot tray with snowboots, rainboots, and fake ugg boots:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...8&d=1357251512

This looks excessive because I found I needed to give each kid a shoe cubby unit even though they don't have anywhere near 12 pairs of shoes. :rofl: I had two, and they never put them away. Now that they each have one, they put them away. I also put mine in my son's cubby. On top of each cubby is a clean sock basket (we only have one kind of sock for each kid, multiple pairs), and a hats/gloves basket. On the left on the floor is the dirty sock basket.
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...7&d=1357251511

Not pictured, my son's five coat hook and boot tray setup, with my coats hanging above. Then in another corner, a tall skinny plastic shelving thing I put my socks, my hats, my gloves, etc in. And then there is actually a closet in there to the right of the shoe cubbies, and we hang DH's stuff, extra/size up coats, and he and I each have a boot tray in there.

divabeadz 01-03-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solarbabies (Post 16109651)
Ours is more like a porch...unfinished as well. Just a plywood floor and yucky dark brown wood paneling. And no pics sorry....it has all the boxes for the thrift store in it right now lol. Plus, the dryer vents into it, so it always has lint all over. Ugh, i hate that 'room' and the fact that anyone that comes into our house has to come through it!

Are you secretly living in my house? We have the same issue with the dryer vent. Seriously, we've been in this house almost 10 yrs and DH can't find the time to vent it outside???? :banghead:

Cherylchoo, do you have them remove their shoes before going into the rest of the house? Thanks for posting pics!

cherylchoo 01-03-2013 06:23 PM

Well, we are a shoe-free house, but only because we like to be barefoot. :rofl: We don't make anyone else take off their shoes. If they come in from the garage, they immediately put away everything there. When they come home from the school bus, they walk in the front door and make a beeline for the mudroom, which is less than 10 feet away. So no one sees the mudroom but us.

TypeAMom 01-09-2013 06:12 PM

Not trying to hijack, but does anyone have a mudroom setup in their basement? We have no garage, but a walk-in basement that we use more than the front entrance.

Also, for those w/ a dryer vent that vents inside, does it heat up that space? That seems like it'd be a real perk in winter if you had some kind of vent cover that could safely trap some of the lint.

divabeadz 01-09-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TypeAMom (Post 16136809)
(snip)

Also, for those w/ a dryer vent that vents inside, does it heat up that space? That seems like it'd be a real perk in winter if you had some kind of vent cover that could safely trap some of the lint.

Yes, but it also creates moisture so rather than feeling warm and toasty, you feel like you've walked through a sauna. It fogs up the windows too. I hate it.

TypeAMom 01-09-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by divabeadz

Yes, but it also creates moisture so rather than feeling warm and toasty, you feel like you've walked through a sauna. It fogs up the windows too. I hate it.

I didn't even think of that.

cherylchoo 01-10-2013 03:23 PM

I found another picture of an entryway of a house we used to live in that might be helpful. Those black things are shoe drawers from Ikea, Trommes I think. It worked really well for us in that house at that time. The entryway was narrow (thus the shoe drawers), there was no coat closet, it was Texas so no need for boot trays :rofl:, and a drawer could hold many pairs of little shoes and we even had one drawer for socks since the two older kids were wearing the same size.

http://www.picturefools.com/images/e...hoestorage.JPG