Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Exercising mamas - is it normal to cramp up? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1477603)

DesertRat 01-03-2013 03:11 PM

Exercising mamas - is it normal to cramp up?

I've gone swimming several times over the last few weeks. (I'm 20 weeks) Before I got pregnant I had been swimming regularly, and then stopped for a while before I got pregnant. Each time since I've been back, after swimming about 4 laps my uterus cramps up something awful. If I relax for a while and swim really slow (more like a float) eventually it'll ease up. But I never can swim very fast for fear I'll cramp up again.

Regardless, swimming still feels good and does wonders for the water retention. But I don't feel like I get much of a workout because I'm swimming so slow.

Am I just over-doing it? Or is this normal? The last time I swam laps while pregnant was 7 years ago and I don't remember this ever happening.

babyrosie 01-03-2013 03:45 PM

Well, I am almost 26 wks and have pretty much continued my normal exercise routine (running, circuit training, turbo kickboxing, Zumba, etc). I do sometimes get some tightening of my uterus and heaviness in my perineum. If I get a bad cramp it's like a side cramp and I just take it easy til it passes then pick things back up. If you feel good in the water I think it is great to do that. If you wait for the cramp to pass and then pick up your pace, do you start cramping again?

keen1981 01-03-2013 03:50 PM

Yes. My Braxton hicks got pretty bad after working out. Sometimes during.

Fwiw- I ran thru my entire pregnancy, with a 1/2 marathon at 27weeks. This is my third vaginal delivery. and he was my first overdue baby!!! Be sure to hydrate.

DesertRat 01-03-2013 09:23 PM

Re: Exercising mamas - is it normal to cramp up?

Quote:

Originally Posted by babyrosie (Post 16110918)
Well, I am almost 26 wks and have pretty much continued my normal exercise routine (running, circuit training, turbo kickboxing, Zumba, etc). I do sometimes get some tightening of my uterus and heaviness in my perineum. If I get a bad cramp it's like a side cramp and I just take it easy til it passes then pick things back up. If you feel good in the water I think it is great to do that. If you wait for the cramp to pass and then pick up your pace, do you start cramping again?

Typically after I cramp up I just keep swimming really slow. Today I swam the last few laps a little bit harder and I could tell my uterus was a bit tight afterwards, but not the painful cramping at the beginning.

I'm hoping to start swimming several times a week and I hope this goes away once it's more routine. It's rather worrisome.

lynn97 01-03-2013 09:53 PM

I have not felt up to exercising lately but I remember cramping when I was pregnant with DS. Nothing awful but a bit worse than normal menstrual cramps. I agree with keeping hydrated and I always stopped if they got too intense or the cramping wasn't stopping.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

EmilytheStrange 01-03-2013 10:45 PM

I don't recall cramping with DD and haven't been cramping with this baby. Of course, I'm just walking, so maybe not as strenuous. And I drink a ton of water while I exercise and usually have to walk cross legged to the bathroom afterwards.

So I'd definitely make sure you're well hydrated and just try to listen to your body.

I do get some BH during my walk, but they're the normal, mild kind that just remind me that I need to pee as they press on my bladder.

jlsquire0324 01-04-2013 08:44 AM

Yea I would cramp while walking 6-7 miles. Usually I just needed water (like a charley horse) I would also have Braxton hicks. Just take breaks if you need too