Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Baby cries when I put on her fuzzibunz... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1477638)

Mollysmomma 01-03-2013 05:01 PM

Baby cries when I put on her fuzzibunz...

2 Attachment(s)
Ok. So I have a long and slender 2 month old baby girl. We tried cloth at about a month and what I have is just too bulky for her. I have hand-me-down fuzzibunz one size. I have the small micro fiber inserts that came with them, and tons of extra elastic.

Every time I put her in them now, she fusses like she's uncomfortable. And I'm having leaks at the leg. The diapers are still in pretty great shape so I hate to scrap them and start over. I think I want to get some size 1s, but just feel like I'm not getting the hang of setting them correctly. I'm getting discouraged.

What can I check for? I try to make sure the buttons are covered... How do I know if they're too tight or lose?? Makes me want aplix!! See pics. First pic is from when she was really little. Second pic is from this week (white diaper). Am I doing something wrong? I feel like it's probably super obvious to everyone but me! ;-). (Legs on 4s, waist on 1.)

Thanks so much for the help!!!!

willowmom 01-03-2013 05:35 PM

Re: Baby cries when I put on her fuzzibunz...

she might still be too small for them. Is there gapping at the legs that you can see? If these are over a year old you might want to replace leg elastic...As for the fussing, she might need to get used to them, she'd likely be fine with it in a day or so...unless she just senses your frustration when you put them on her! You could also try stuffing with something else like a recieviing blanket and see if that works better. Cloth always seems bulky on a newborn no matter what...don't get discouraged at the bulkiness...it really doesn't bother them like you would think.

Mollysmomma 01-03-2013 05:44 PM

Thank you!!! Yeah, there's some gapping but not like it was! Lol. I'm thinking I should get some fitteds and covers in a smaller size for now. It will be awhile before she's too big for that.

They are about 3 years old an went through twins. Some are newer than others. I think the elastic needs replacing. Merciful heavens is THAT a job. I need a sewing threader tool thingy. Been using a crochet hook, but that doesn't always work.

What do you recommend for skinny girls like her?

lady longs 01-03-2013 05:52 PM

www.fuzzibunz.com has a "live chat" option (I think its only during business hours).

But, they can walk you thru trouble shooting for your baby and these diapers. I know lots of mamas use one size from day 1, so I doubt they are "too big". But, they certainly could be.

They have been really helpful to me and I think you will find them helpful.

Mollysmomma 01-03-2013 06:07 PM

By "too big" I really mean annoyingly bulky. I could get the waist and legs pretty small. She had pretty skinny legs, but she's chubbing up now. Lol. I couldn't put her newborn clothes on her with them. And they were too cute to not wear! :-D

Thanks for the tip!!! I'll have to try that!!

ktgrok 01-03-2013 08:31 PM

I'd get some motherease sandys, size small. They are stretchy enough to fit any baby pretty much, and will last long enough to make the money worth it. Also, they are squishy in between the legs so not the bulk of a lot of diapers. And i love them. The bamboo are much much softer than the regular ones.

Mollysmomma 01-03-2013 08:44 PM

Thank you!! Never heard of them. Will look them up!

faiths13 01-03-2013 09:18 PM

She may have a sensitivity to fleece or pul. It maybe the detergent is irritating her or isn't washing out enough and irritating.

Mollysmomma 01-03-2013 09:29 PM

Well, she wears fleece sleepers, so I wouldn't think that's it. The detergent is a "free" detergent and they have recently been stripped. I put her in them until bedtime today and I think she's getting more used to them. I just can't seem to get the waist size right. I think the wrinkles at the openings from the gathered elastic is uncomfortable. Conceptually it's a great idea.... But not terribly great in execution. I'm sure they will fit a ton better when she's much bigger...

willowmom 01-04-2013 12:48 AM

Cloth on small babies just seems big because we are basically programmed being used to the "disposable look". I always thought it looked huge on her until she was bigger. I never used a OS diaper until LO was 6 or 7 months...I only had prefolds and covers in the beginning which were fine and not leaky (unless DH changed her, and there was some diaper sticking out of the cover!) Plus they are cheap and easy.