Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   EC - Elimination Communication (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Can I start EC with a newborn? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1477651)

dangadadanga 01-03-2013 05:59 PM

Can I start EC with a newborn?

Hello mommas,

I am expecting my first in 3 weeks and would like to try EC with him from the beginning. Any advice? Is it too early?

Thanks!
Maya

BinahYeteirah 01-03-2013 08:13 PM

Re: Can I start EC with a newborn?

No, it's not too early at all! In fact, I think EC works better the earlier you start. I started my oldest at 2.5 months, but with all my others I began EC more or less at birth.

strongwoman 01-03-2013 09:25 PM

Start em young! The earlier the better. Check out www.ecsimplified.com for a great book and weekly newsletters. It's the only book I've read on EC, but it seems to be very thorough.

dangadadanga 01-04-2013 05:29 AM

Thank you for the advice! Everybody I tell (family & friends), laughs but I will give it an honest try.

BinahYeteirah 01-04-2013 07:03 AM

Well, don't expect to "catch" everything, but you can certainly start communicating and catch what you can. My goal was not necessarily to be diaper-free, but with a newborn I think most people use diapers as back up. Don't bother telling people; it is too annoying.

aylasmommy 01-17-2013 08:49 PM

My little is 2weeks now and I want to incorporate EC but I wonder about logistics like head control and holding down his penis at the same time. when I ec'd my daughter I didn't have to worry about aim. Now that I do I just wonder if it would be easier to wait for a bit.

BinahYeteirah 01-18-2013 04:38 AM

It's entirely up to you when you start, but I just held my son cradled along one arm and used my other hand to aim him as necessary. I admit it was a bit messy at first, but so was diaper changing. I had two girls before him, so I was thrown for a loop when I realized a regular diaper change could end with urine all over the wall and floor if I was too slow.

aylasmommy 01-18-2013 09:50 PM

Lol the joys of having a boy :).

pacopoe 01-24-2013 08:43 AM

We weren't even going to try EC until he was older, being a first-time parents and just dealing with the adjustment and all, but started at one week old simply to avoid getting peed on. We figured if he was going to pee every time we took off his diaper then we might as well aim it where we wanted it to go instead of having it go all over us, all over the bed, et cetera.

We did the cradling along one arm, hands firmly wrapped around each thigh, with one finger free to aim the stream approach.

aylasmommy 01-24-2013 09:01 AM

Yeah, we ended up starting this week for much the same reason. It just makes sense to offer the potty at every change.