Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Math u see (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1477661)

mamajoe 01-03-2013 06:40 PM

Math u see

Is the math u see primer program appropriate for preschool leverl (3.5 yo)?

We are VERY slowly starting homeschool (mostly because of behaviour/concentration issues, "school" seems to be then only activity that calms and settles dd). I've tried printing my own free work sheets, which dd LOVES, but i feel lost in creating my own program, so i'm hoping to buy a premade program that we can work through (and skip what is necessary) and alternate with craft activities. We will likely repeat the same program again next year as a "real" preschool curriculum.

If not is there a better option for this age group?

tallanvor 01-03-2013 07:23 PM

Re: Math u see

At that age, unless they are asking for more, I wouldn't do anything for math other than learning shapes and working on counting, which can easily be done through play and books.

Unless your LO is advanced, I don't think the primer would work for that young of a child. I had one child that started it at about 4.5, but the other two did it for kindergarten. The one that started it at 4.5 will be ready for pre-algebra in 6th grade, which is early.

croark 01-03-2013 09:59 PM

My guess is primer may be a bit much. We are using Alpha for my 6 yr old and it's borderline too much. Unless you have one that's really advanced I would say wait a bit longer for primer.

mamajoe 01-03-2013 11:47 PM

Thanks ladies! I would consider dd an average kid, def not advanced. She knows colors, quite a few shapes (cicrle, square, diamont, triangle, heart, star) and counting to 12, we are working in written number recognition.

I'll hold off on the math u see. I ordered a few preschool workbooks today (prewriting skills, counting, scisor use) and we'll work our way through those. I have a bunch of preschool and kindergarten packages printed but it feels very overwhelming on where to start, which one first, which pages to do. Work book just seems a little less ... Scary to start as we can just follow page for page until we both get a feel for how this will go. The upside is she LOVES worksheets and seems to be very distracted with game play (i even got a few board games like candyland for us to play, but the take turns seems to lose her attention quick. Lol)

croark 01-04-2013 08:25 AM

Have u looked at abcjesuslovesme.com? I think its still free.
Obviously, it is Christian based.

vintagegyrl 01-05-2013 08:11 AM

the fact that you use "age 3.5" and "very distracted" in the same sentence is amusing to me. :)

I'm going to be one of those in the camp of - just wait. let her breeze thru workbooks til her heart's content. but playing a game with mom will be just that. It will try your patience to no end. that's part of the fun of it. to teach them lovingly how to pay attention but also to get caught up with them in life's little distractions. because they are learning so much - their brains are going so fast, they can't help but think of the 1,000,000 things that the game is reminding them of. :) It's OK. there is no rush. Get caught up with her, answer her questions, and finish the game another day. in otherwords, don't have a "goal" of finishing the game, ever. just play. :)

thirdtimemomma 01-05-2013 08:25 AM

I think you have a year before you need to think about Hsing. Just learn, let dc help cook, take awesome feild trips, finger paint....

Sent from my ADR6400L using DS Forum

mamajoe 01-05-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagegyrl (Post 16117576)
the fact that you use "age 3.5" and "very distracted" in the same sentence is amusing to me. :)

I'm going to be one of those in the camp of - just wait. let her breeze thru workbooks til her heart's content. but playing a game with mom will be just that. It will try your patience to no end. that's part of the fun of it. to teach them lovingly how to pay attention but also to get caught up with them in life's little distractions. because they are learning so much - their brains are going so fast, they can't help but think of the 1,000,000 things that the game is reminding them of. :) It's OK. there is no rush. Get caught up with her, answer her questions, and finish the game another day. in otherwords, don't have a "goal" of finishing the game, ever. just play. :)

:giggle2: yes, most 3 years olds are distracted! I worked for many years in a daycare and would consider DD on the extreme, far outside the rhelm (sp) of normal 2-3 y/o attention. She literally cannot even play with toys because of her inability to focus. I plan to use Homeschooling/workbooks to try to encourage her focus, more than actually teach concepts of knowledge - does that even make sense. For some reason when this kid sits at a table with a workbook or craft, she can sit for 10 or 15 min and just "work" but set her free in the living room and she will literally spin out of control.

Thanks for the imput ladies! I appreciate the experience, this is my first kiddo and first look/experience with homeschool. My DH is very much against hs (for stupid reasons like "she'll be weird" :banghead:) so i almost need to prove to him i CAN teach her something - but i plan to use kindergaten/5yo for that since it is not required schooling according to the govt here.