Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In April (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Not trying to be selfish... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1477756)

LacyHolly 01-04-2013 02:02 AM

Not trying to be selfish...

but when should we start our baby registry? My sister-in-law wants to have a baby shower for us after baby arrives and I don't know when to do our registry. We are due April 10th and I have people asking me already if we've started it and I always say no...it just seems so early!!! I was thinking we would do it around the end of February or in March some time. What do you think?

RunawayBunny 01-04-2013 04:04 AM

With DS I started my registry around 20 weeks. To me, its not inappropriate unless you are flaunting it around without people asking for it. But if they are already asking for it then you might as well!

Plus, a lot of the baby items you may want right away instead of post-delivery (car seat, swing, blankets, clothes...)

Pampered Mama 01-04-2013 04:06 AM

Re: Not trying to be selfish...

DDC- If you are doing a walk in one, do it earlier- especially if people are asking- for me, the end of pregnancy I do not look forward to being on my feet that long walking around the store- and if people asking want time to save up for a gift- or get money together for a group gift, it gives them more time.

canadianbakers 01-04-2013 06:58 AM

:dunno: We've never had a baby shower or done a registry.

steph410 01-04-2013 07:01 AM

I had a big baby shower at 7 months pregnant (with my first child), so I definitely had registered way before then. If people are asking, you should start one. It's not selfish at all- they just want to get you the things you need and not duplicate :)

mibarra 01-04-2013 08:23 AM

I started mine yesterday. Now is a good time, all the stores are putting out spring stuff :)

MrsCrafty 01-04-2013 09:47 AM

I think it's a fine time, I think my shower was around 7 months with DS. Since this is our combined 3rd child we won't have a shower and are not registering. Our kids are both 6, and we've been given quite a few used things which is awesome, but I wouldn't expect anyone to really buy us anything. I'd just watch it so that if things go on clearance you might delete it and add something else since then those items are harder to find in stores.

KendallMarie 01-04-2013 09:54 AM

I started mine pretty early... but I've only told people about it in the last month or so. Before that i was sort of using it as a shopping list things to look for at consignment shops etc and as I found things I'd remove them.

I need to add a few more things now since there's starting to be discussion of a shower (i wasn't really expecting one) things people might actually want to buy instead of crib sheets and pacifiers.

Southern Momma 01-04-2013 10:26 AM

I wasn't going to do one this time (I didn't with DD either) but people started asking about what we needed and if we were registered anywhere a couple of months ago...so I went ahead a made a registry at Target. I don't think it's selfish at all, especially if people are asking about it. It's been helpful to me too to have a "list" of what we need and what we've bought at good deals I've marked off the registry.

Mom2Connor 01-04-2013 10:54 AM

We had a big shower thrown for us for DS1 and it was at about 8 months along. I think we dis the registry a couple months before that. I would do it by February, march is pretty late for planner types! And it does take awhile of you are in the store, a lot of walking! Have fun!!