Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daily Chat Threads (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=185)
-   -   For the love of reading group! ~JANUARY 2013~ *Join us!* (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1477796)

Rainfall 01-04-2013 08:42 AM

For the love of reading group! ~JANUARY 2013~ *Join us!*

Do You Like to Read? Do you want to make reading a bigger part of your life OR are you already an avid reader but want someplace to discuss books and get book recommendations?

WELCOME!

~The object of a new year is not that we should have a new year. It is that we should have a new soul. - G.K. Chesterton

~Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man. - Benjamin Franklin

~Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right. - Oprah Winfrey

http://dl9.glitter-graphics.net/pub/...nfy8xzi1n4.gif

This will be a monthly thread where we’ll set personal goals for reading, as well as discussing books. This also can be a place for you to keep track of how many/what books you’re reading to your kids, if you’d like.

How to Get Started:
First set a goal for yourself! You can challenge yourself to read a certain amount of pages or books per month/year. This is OPTIONAL - if you don’t want a goal that’s fine. Having one is just a tool to help some of us make sure we’re reading but its not a requirement to join in
If you do decide to set a personal goal you can post it here but you DON'T have to if you'd rather keep it private-this is NOT a competition and there is no prize for reading the most books lol!
Do whatever YOU want to do and most of all HAVE FUN with reading!

Second-get a book and start reading! When you’re done with a book it would be great if you could talk about it here-you don’t have to do a chapter by chapter summary but just a sentence or two about why you like/dislike it. This will help others find new books to enjoy themselves

And feel free to join in at any time! I've taken lead in starting this month's thread, but if anyone wants to start the new months if I forget - please do!

http://dl6.glitter-graphics.net/pub/...hp2w7dxb5w.gif

Rainfall 01-04-2013 08:42 AM

Re: For the love of reading group! ~JANUARY 2013~ *Join us!*

We've had a regular monthly reading thread for a couple of years now and it fizzled out last year. I'd like to get it going again so we all have a place to share what we're reading, discuss books/reading, and get suggestions and recommendations.

Any and all are welcome to pop in at any time and join in. A new thread will be started up each month, but make sure you subscribe to the thread as the Daily Chats forum moves quite quickly!

So, what are you reading in the new year? :) What was your favorite book of 2012? Any books you were greatly disappointed with last year?

Rainfall 01-04-2013 08:48 AM

On my Nook, I have started Anne of Green Gables as my first book of the year. I missed out on this when I was younger and was excited to check it out. It's a really fun read so far. I would have gobbled this and the entire series up as a young girl, I just know it. :)

I'll be starting up Doc by Mary Doria Russell soon. This was highly recommended over on the Historical Fiction forum I'm a part of (paperbackswap.com) and I was really giddy to get it for Christmas from my Secret Santa over there.

I also have just started a new audiobook, Mistress of the Art of Death, by Ariana Franklin. Another highly recommended book from my HF pals.

DH got me an iPad mini for Christmas (!!) and I was testing out an Overdrive app. So I downloaded The Curious Case of Benjamin Button on audio and started playing that and it started out really good. So that will likely be my next audio. The blurb about the book says that there's really not much the same between the book and movie, other than the aging backwards bit. I thought the movie was WAY too long but the story was intriguing. So I think I might enjoy the book much more.

What was your favorite book of 2012? Any books you were greatly disappointed with last year?

I only read 21 books last year and pretty much completely stopped reading after my brother's accident in July. So I really didn't have a bunch of books to choose from for the best/worst. I read a lot of books I considered 4 stars, but Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen and the Fire and Ice series by George R.R. Martin tied for best of the year. I think I was most disappointed with Bram Stoker's Dracula. I had really high hopes for it but thought it was just ok.

Hungry Caterpillar 01-04-2013 12:28 PM

I have been re-reading some favorites recently - I ended 2012 with a nostalgia trip through my past few years of favorite reads. I re-read Chuck Klosterman's Killing Yourself to Live, Marisha Kresl's Special Topics in Calamity Physics, various Jennifer Weiner books, and The Bucolic Plague by Josh Kilmer-Purcell.

I read A Discovery of Witches which was okay. I expected more of it since everyone raved about it, but I think I am still going to purchase the second one and read it, then lend to my mom. I just bought The Night Circus on my Kindle and am going to read that next. I guess those two are my on deck books for the next month.

I read a lot, but I tend to re-read when I am reminded of a book. I keep nearly all of them, and they are shelved three rows deep in a bookshelf labeled so I can find what I need. I have been trying to buy more on the Kindle recently instead in order to not take up so much physical space, but then it's harder to lend stuff to my mom. I give her more than half of what I read and vice versa, she is like my own personal book club.

bumminbeachbabe 01-04-2013 12:32 PM

I just started The Pillars of the Earth today. I'm trying to get some quality reading in before I have a newb in the house.

earthflower 01-04-2013 01:10 PM

I am reading the Elemental Mysteries by Elizabeth Hunter I'm on book two This Same Earth. Its a vampire series.

justsamma 01-04-2013 01:37 PM

I need some book suggestions.
I don't do sci-fi or most romance. i'm really picky actually, but still manage to read a lot.

I just finished Farrah Abraham's [from Teen mom] book. that was an awful waste of time. heh

I also finished Three Little words just before the holidays.

Now i need something else to dive into.

Rainfall 01-04-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar (Post 16114255)
I have been re-reading some favorites recently - I ended 2012 with a nostalgia trip through my past few years of favorite reads. I re-read Chuck Klosterman's Killing Yourself to Live, Marisha Kresl's Special Topics in Calamity Physics, various Jennifer Weiner books, and The Bucolic Plague by Josh Kilmer-Purcell.

I read A Discovery of Witches which was okay. I expected more of it since everyone raved about it, but I think I am still going to purchase the second one and read it, then lend to my mom. I just bought The Night Circus on my Kindle and am going to read that next. I guess those two are my on deck books for the next month.

I read a lot, but I tend to re-read when I am reminded of a book. I keep nearly all of them, and they are shelved three rows deep in a bookshelf labeled so I can find what I need. I have been trying to buy more on the Kindle recently instead in order to not take up so much physical space, but then it's harder to lend stuff to my mom. I give her more than half of what I read and vice versa, she is like my own personal book club.

I don't tend to re-read much. But I think it's more to do with my GIANT pile of books I still haven't read once than anything. :giggle: That's too your mom and you share the reading love together. :)

(PS - I heard the same thing about DoW not living up to the hype. And also Night Circus. I haven't read either one, so I can't verify but do let us know how you like Night Circus if/when you read it.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bumminbeachbabe (Post 16114272)
I just started The Pillars of the Earth today. I'm trying to get some quality reading in before I have a newb in the house.

Ooh, I keep walking past the audiobook of Pillars of the Earth at the library, waiting for the first volume of discs to be available. I'll be waiting to hear how you like it! I haven't heard much greatness about the sequel, but if I like Pillars enough, I'll give that one a whirl as well. :) I'm always looking for a good, long audiobook.

Quote:

Originally Posted by earthflower (Post 16114480)
I am reading the Elemental Mysteries by Elizabeth Hunter I'm on book two This Same Earth. Its a vampire series.

Another vampire series I didn't know of - thanks! I'll have to add that to the library list and look into that. My favorite vampire series is the Black Daggar Brotherhood books. Speaking of, my friend just returned the next two books of mine so I can catch up with her. I should put those on my Jan list. :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by justsamma (Post 16114607)
I need some book suggestions.
I don't do sci-fi or most romance. i'm really picky actually, but still manage to read a lot.

I just finished Farrah Abraham's [from Teen mom] book. that was an awful waste of time. heh

I also finished Three Little words just before the holidays.

Now i need something else to dive into.

Have you read the Game of Thrones books by George R.R. Martin yet? If not, I highly recommend those. They're all really long books, too, so there's a lot of story. :)

Otherwise, Mary Stewart has a good series about Merlin. The first one is The Crystal Cave.

Jean M. Auel has a good prehistoric series. The first book in that one is Clan of the Cave Bear. I've only read that first one but plan to read the next one soon. I just have too many series going at once. But from what my HF pals have said, the entire series is pretty good until the last book. They said it was awful and to just not bother. :giggle:

I absolutely adored The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society on audio. I'm sure the book version is just as great.
Moloka'i by Alan Brennert remains in my top 5 books ever. So does Ireland by Frank Delaney.

Rainfall 01-04-2013 02:02 PM

Oh, last month I listened to the audio of Jacee Dugard's book, A Stolen Life, and that was good. Well, it's a tragic story so I don't mean feel-good.

threestraycats 01-04-2013 02:03 PM

I am reading Yes Sister, No Sister about British nurses in the 1950's. Quick, interesting read.

I want to start A Lantern in Her Hand by Bess Streeter Aldrich but our library doesn't have it:banghead: