Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   RLR Disaster Help please! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1477825)

mrsbernstein 01-04-2013 10:05 AM

RLR Disaster Help please!

We have a pretty good-size fitted stash. HUGE, actually. And now I won't/can't use it. I need some diaper-saving please!

Early fall, I used BacOut 3 times in my diaper laundry to help with the stinkies before we realized that it was burning my son's bum. The fall-out was HORRIBLE! His rash became so bad, we had to get a prescription for the cream. :-(

Then, early December, I decided to do an RLR soak with my diapers. Not all...but about 1/3. Let the diapers soak in the tub for a few hours. RINSED. Then did about 4-5 rinses in the washing machine.

Now...(almost) ALL of my fitteds are giving my son the "red bum". OBV of CV, it doesn't seem to matter! My husband is becoming annoyed that we have TONS of fitteds and I won't let him use any of them!

Oh, and I've washed almost all of them AT LEAST once since the RLR soak...still redness.

Is there any way to save these diapers AND my son's bum? Thank yoU!

MrsB

c&w's mama 01-04-2013 10:15 AM

Re: RLR Disaster Help please!

I'm not sure its RLR quite yet... but maybe I'm misunderstanding...

did you use the dipes in between BacOut rash and RLR soak? I'm reading no, but maybe yes...

I'd do a bathtub soak and try a wash (FL, perhaps? I have had FL problems in the past).

I am *pretty* sure RLR is just washing soda so I think it might be bringing things out?

I have city water and need one round of light bleaching to get rid of ammonia end of nov/beginning of dec.

These are all just brainstorming ideas. Good luck!

GenevaL 01-04-2013 10:27 AM

I find that when I use RLR I need to do 10-12 (ridiculous, I know) rinses. Try adding nothing, or a little bleach (A last resort, but it kills bacteria and a tad won't fade your dipes if put in the dispenser). Do a hot wash and rinse over and over until you see no bubbles at all.

GenevaL 01-04-2013 10:30 AM

Oh, and if it is night dipes, especially (mine get the ammonia build up quicker). I soak them in a bucket every morning for a few hours, rinse them and then put them in the diaper bag. I just keep a small pail beside the washer. I find it delays the stinkies so I only have to strip every few months (toddler pee and front loader).

GenevaL 01-04-2013 10:31 AM

Sorry to over post, but I find fleece liners help at night...promise I will stop now.

mrsbernstein 01-04-2013 10:31 AM

L,

I used the diapers a couple of months between the BacOut and RLR.

Geneval,

That's the wierd thing...and obviously I am an RLR-failure...but I NEVER even SAW bubbles! Not a one.

We have a Front-Loader, and I looked for bubbles, but never saw a one.

I need to do some "catch-up" laundry, but this weekend, I will spend the entire weekend rinsing diapers. I suppose we'll see how that goes. :-(

While in this RLR black-out of my fitteds, I have purchased some BGEs and my DH really likes them. Boring prints...but likes the fit and easy of use. So, I might try to fix my fitteds, and if they still don't work for us...time to destash. :-(

MrsB

mrsbernstein 01-04-2013 10:31 AM

Oh, and not just night diapers...ALL diapers.

:-(

MsB

momma_dna 01-04-2013 10:46 AM

I have not had this experience with rlr, but EcoSprouts broke my son out with a bad detergent rash. What worked for me was washing all of his diapers in a new detergent (tide F&G) and then washed them five times on hot (which included the cold rinse). ES didn't leave suds, but I figured the more hot washes/ cold rinses the better, to strip it all out.

nonipie 01-04-2013 11:49 AM

What detergent are you using and how much? I would try just rinsing them by hand in the tub. Your FL may not be using enough water to get it all out. If they stunk before they weren't getting clean so I would try the bleach as well to get rid of the bacteria lingering in them.

kirst 01-04-2013 12:07 PM

I believe Bac Out is an enzyme wash so what happened the first time is that residual enzymes left in the fabric mobilized when he peed and digested his skin, just like they do the bacteria. If you used for a few months inbetween, I would think the enzymes have been all denatured by heat by now (unless you line dry exclusively). As far as I know, RLR doesn't have enzymes (but I don't really know). You could try washing all the dipes in water as hot as you can get it (turn your hot water tank up) and a small amount of bleach to use pH and heat to denature any enzymes. Then dry them on warm in the dryer. This would also kill bacteria and kind of be two birds with one stone if it is ammonia burn.

Given that you are not seeing any suds at all, I don't think it's from detergent build up.
As previous posters said, I would for sure switch to a different detergent (maybe one you've used in the past though, so you have some degree of comfort with it).