Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   What can I cook in a cast iron pot? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1477832)

SamanthaSews 01-04-2013 10:26 AM

What can I cook in a cast iron pot?

I received a 3 qt cast iron pot for Xmas.
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/...1CBF41BF6A.jpg
I think I will love it. But I'm not sure what I can cook in it. If you have any recipes that will work with a cast iron pot please share.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Spunkify 01-04-2013 10:56 AM

Re: What can I cook in a cast iron pot?

Could it function as a dutch oven?

SamanthaSews 01-04-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by September
Could it function as a dutch oven?

I'm really not sure. Not even exactly sure what a Dutch oven is. I'm really inexperienced in the kitchen...

stevensmom 01-04-2013 01:02 PM

you can cook EVERYTHING in a cast iron. :)

eggs usually aren't that good tho. And some say no acidic stuff like tomatoes, but I cook tomato sauce in mine all the time.

Holly dolly 01-04-2013 01:03 PM

Almost anything!!!!! That is an AWESOME pan!! I love making soups/stews in mine.

SamanthaSews 01-04-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holly dolly
Almost anything!!!!! That is an AWESOME pan!! I love making soups/stews in mine.

Got any good recipes? I've just started to branch out & use my crockpot, but have yet to really cook anything truly from scratch. I usually use a package of some sort.

Holly dolly 01-04-2013 02:58 PM

I'm kind of a "dump" chef. :giggle2:

For my beef stew I use whatever beef I have leftover (roast, cut up steak, hamburger, even pork roast works) then I add whatever veggies I have (green beans, corn, carrots, celery, cauliflower, peppers...etc) about 4-5 med potatoes peeled and chunked, and enough tomato juice to cover it. I season with salt, pepper, onion and garlic. Sometimes a bay leaf. Then let it simmer until the veggies are done. Easy peasy!!

CMamma 01-04-2013 03:59 PM

You can cook anything in cast iron that you would in any other pot. I love love love cast iron. We were lucky enough to inheret some from family - it lasts FOREVER. I do find that using certain pans for certain things helps with the no stick factor, ie we have a pan dedicated to eggs b/c it works the best when that's all we cook in it. It seems to work better seasoned to different items, if that makes sense.

SamanthaSews 01-04-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMamma
You can cook anything in cast iron that you would in any other pot. I love love love cast iron. We were lucky enough to inheret some from family - it lasts FOREVER. I do find that using certain pans for certain things helps with the no stick factor, ie we have a pan dedicated to eggs b/c it works the best when that's all we cook in it. It seems to work better seasoned to different items, if that makes sense.

Ok thanks. I'm guess I'm too chicken to use it. I'm afraid I will ruin it. I cooked pasta in a regular pot tonight. Lol

Resellmybelle 01-04-2013 04:21 PM

That is perfect for stovetop or in the oven. Did it come with insturctions on what temperatures it can withstand in the oven? Be sure to look the care pamphlet over or go to their webpage for ideas. I bet depending on the brand their webpage will have recipes.

The options are endless, but I tend to use my cast iron low and slow. I do not tend to boil things in cast iron, just simmering and such. You also don't want to submerge it in hot water when it's hot, it will crack. And, I don't think they are dishwasher safe or metal utensil safe, use silicon spatulas or wooden spoons so you don't scratch the enamel. A nylon srubbie for cleaning in the sink with hot soapy water is all it will probably need.

Check pioneer woman for some good soup, chili, beans recipes, she makes easy to follow yummy recipes and she cracks me up too.

Enjoy!