Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   maternity clothes, baby clothes & children's clothes? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1477852)

mel j 01-04-2013 11:25 AM

maternity clothes, baby clothes & children's clothes?

How many maternity clothes do you hang onto in case you ever have another baby, and how many baby clothes? I have a bunch of baby clothes but no idea if we'll have another baby or not. I know I will probably hang onto some in case, but do you have a limit for these things? I mean we won't need a lot of them for at least a year...

Also how many pieces of clothing per older child?

Trying to downsize :)

eljube112 01-04-2013 12:08 PM

Re: maternity clothes, baby clothes & children's clothes?

I have 4 kids and am planning to have more, and this is a really hard thing for me too. I cut it down to one tote per size per gender and as I move into that tote I get rid of anything that we don't absolutely need or use.

I just packed up my 0-3 boys stuff and it fits in half a tote. :) and probably at least a quarter of that I could bear to part with if I absolutely had to, but like I said, clothing is a struggle for me. LOL!

I also am keeping my favourite mat pieces, but everything else has been handed down to my SIL.

elizabeth.scalf 01-04-2013 01:27 PM

For maternity, I used lots of my regular baby doll and peasant type tops. Plus, I don't get huge so was able to wear regular t-shirts until late, so I never ended up with more than a dozen-15 maternity tops. Got rids of a few I didn't like our weren't comfortable but the rest I'm keeping all. They fit in a Xerox box size tote. A few pairs of pants, maybe two Jeans and a khaki? They're so expensive and hard to find, maternity clothes, that its worth keeping until you know for sure.

rawheid 01-04-2013 01:36 PM

I "think" we're done having kids and after #3 came I got rid if all my mat clothes. All my girl stuff I gave away since #3 was a boy. All my boy stuff went I my sis after ods and it came back when yds came. Plus I send it all back to her when we're done each size. I didn't hang onto to anything since thrift stores are so easy to get stuff. I kept 1 sleeper per child as a keepsake.

The biggest reason is when my mom and mil gave me the keepsake stuff I just didn't want it. It was old, yellow. Yes there were a few things that mattered but I've decided that I'd rather have someone love this stuff than have it yellow for 25 years to then have my kids throw it out cuz they don't like it.

But..... It took me to yds was over a year to get to this place

elizabeth.scalf 01-04-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rawheid (Post 16114604)
I

The biggest reason is when my mom and mil gave me the keepsake stuff I just didn't want it. It was old, yellow. Yes there were a few things that mattered but I've decided that I'd rather have someone love this stuff than have it yellow for 25 years to then have my kids throw it out cuz they don't like it.

But..... It took me to yds was over a year to get to this place

Amen. My mom saved re-dunk amounts of stuff from our childhood and now I face the task of going through it. speaking of which, went through baby clothes today. another tub full gone. Reorganizdd master closet too.

mel j 01-29-2013 08:14 PM

I managed to get rid of a bunch through freecycle. Felt so nice to be able to share with a few people instead of having baby clothes just sitting there not being used and taking up space. :) I did hang onto some.

cherylchoo 01-29-2013 09:04 PM

I did keep and wear all my maternity clothes through all three pregnancies. BUT, I am very tall and hard to fit, they were all classic tees, jeans, sweaters, a basic black dress so nothing that would go out of style, and I had my kids fairly close together. They were in tatters when I was done, lol.

I had two girls and a boy. Gots lots of GN infant stuff for #1 because we didn't find out the gender, then tons of girly stuff after she arrived. Kept all of it for #2, also a girl. She grew 6 to 9 months ahead on her sister's sizing so most of what fit was not seasonally appropriate, had to buy new stuff. Kept it all for #3, who turned out to be a boy and could only wear the GN stuff. I never felt so free the week after he was born. I had five different friends with toddler girls take most of the girly stuff, and donated the rest.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have only kept the sentimental faves and bought second hand EEUC each time after they were born. ;) People sell huge lots of barely or never worn baby stuff all the time. Unless the kids are very close together, it is really not worth keeping more than a file box of each size, and only if you have room and want to manage it.

elizabeth.scalf 01-30-2013 04:49 AM

This last go-around with my oldest two, I kept one huge tote size, like 30 gallon. I was so proud of myself for getting it down to like 50 or 60 items. However, this last go around with my youngest I kept like 20 lol. And even afterthat I decided to ditch all the polyester for the baby so I go rid of a few more. Plus the cute outfits that never get worn. Kept about 8 footy pajamas, handful of onesies and maybe two cute outfits. That was starting with size 6-9M so I need to go back through smaller sizes too. Hopefully I can start keeping more than just one size in each tote!

badmisterkitty 01-30-2013 10:00 AM

I had two girls and a boy. Gots lots of GN infant stuff for #1 because we didn't find out the gender, then tons of girly stuff after she arrived. Kept all of it for #2, also a girl. She grew 6 to 9 months ahead on her sister's sizing so most of what fit was not seasonally appropriate, had to buy new stuff. Kept it all for #3, who turned out to be a boy and could only wear the GN stuff.

I could have written this exactly. Except we knew our 3rd was a boy so I was able to purge before he came. Very little of what I saved fit our 2nd daughter. I had better luck scoring hand me downs from one of my inlaws with a daughter born in the same season.

I guess I would ask if you have access to lots of garage sales or other secondhand shops to rebuy. And how tight is your budget? If rebuying would be a hardship, even at secondhand prices, then save what you can. If you are able to rebuy, do it. Save a few favorites and get rid of the rest. Gender, size and season will all affect your next little one's ability to wear the clothes.

That said, I kept maternity clothes. I wear a 2x and that size wasn't readily available at any of the secondhand shops. I'm glad I did, but it all fit into a medium sized rubbermaid.

leadmare 02-05-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elizabeth.scalf (Post 16224250)
This last go-around with my oldest two, I kept one huge tote size, like 30 gallon. I was so proud of myself for getting it down to like 50 or 60 items. However, this last go around with my youngest I kept like 20 lol. And even afterthat I decided to ditch all the polyester for the baby so I go rid of a few more. Plus the cute outfits that never get worn. Kept about 8 footy pajamas, handful of onesies and maybe two cute outfits. That was starting with size 6-9M so I need to go back through smaller sizes too. Hopefully I can start keeping more than just one size in each tote!

Woot woot! Way to go!