Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   TTC - Trying To Conceive (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   Have you ever taken Vitex? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1477859)

*TinyJoys* 01-04-2013 12:41 PM

Have you ever taken Vitex?

My naturopathic doctor prescribed me a Vitex tincture, to be taken by 1tsp once a day. Lately I seem to have trouble getting a baby to stick. I had a chemical back in September, I was still bf'ing my 15 month old and had not yet had my first pp AF (not sure if that really matters). Then the following month I got pg again. This time I had a missed m/c, the baby died around 8w and I didn't know until around 12w (I then had a D&C because I had horrible lower back pain and my body wasn't passing anything). Anyway, I went to see my naturopath because I was concerned my hormones were out of balance due to pregnancy and child birth. He thought this might be the problem so he prescribed Vitex to help regulate things and get my baby to stick (because it increases progesterone production). It is the only remedy we could work with right now because this was my first m/c and age is not an issue.

Anyway, my main question is if you have used Vitex, did you find it was successful at regulating your cycles and getting a sticky bean? I would like to know because the stuff is expensive, $57.50 for a 250ml bottle, and tastes absolutely horrendous! If you can help, thanks!

katiecornflakes 01-04-2013 01:01 PM

Re: Have you ever taken Vitex?

I love the stuff. I think it helped with getting both my LOs. That is a ridiculous price, though! You can get it at any health food store or online for much cheaper, and in capsule form.

*TinyJoys* 01-04-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katiecornflakes (Post 16114122)
I love the stuff. I think it helped with getting both my LOs. That is a ridiculous price, though! You can get it at any health food store or online for much cheaper, and in capsule form.

Really? How much did you pay for the bottle of capsules? I'll probably try to finish this horrible liquid form and get the capsules after. I wish I would have known that you could get it for cheaper and in capsule form before I bought it from my ND. I hope it works as well for me as it did for you.

katiecornflakes 01-04-2013 04:38 PM

I have gotten a bottle for as little as $7. I don't think that's the highest quality, though. I think this bottle I have was maybe $15.

trying4more 01-04-2013 07:33 PM

This is my first time really consistently taking Vitex. I take 2 pills that equal 880mg. I paid around $11 I think.
I TAKE THIS ONE.

Yarnjess 01-04-2013 07:38 PM

FWIW tinctures are generally more powerful than capsules where herbal preparations are concerned. You certainly can look around and likely find a tincture for less, though.

ETA: a quick Google search discovered several tincture options for far less. Amazon has some for about $7.

*TinyJoys* 01-06-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yarnjess (Post 16115926)
FWIW tinctures are generally more powerful than capsules where herbal preparations are concerned. You certainly can look around and likely find a tincture for less, though.

ETA: a quick Google search discovered several tincture options for far less. Amazon has some for about $7.

Actually I do recall my ND saying that tinctures were more powerful and I think that is why he gave it to me. I can't believe you can get some for only $7 though! Wow, I'll have to look around online before I get another bottle.

Yarnjess 01-07-2013 05:32 PM

You could also check Mountain Rose Herbs. They have it as well. I don't remember how much, but a lot less than $57. I've never heard of the $7 brand before, so not sure what the quality is like but Mountain Rose Herbs has a good reputation. I've purchased their bulk herbs before and they've always been high quality.

Pixi6s 01-07-2013 05:35 PM

I've read that you need to stop as soon as you get pg, but then people worry about progesterone drop. I've read that it can have birth defects. Has anyone gotten any read info from a dr around these things -- I'm just on the internet. :-/

*TinyJoys* 01-07-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pixi6s (Post 16127766)
I've read that you need to stop as soon as you get pg, but then people worry about progesterone drop. I've read that it can have birth defects. Has anyone gotten any read info from a dr around these things -- I'm just on the internet. :-/

It can cause birth defects? Wow, that's scary! My ND told me that once I get pg again I should continue to take it until the second trimester, to make sure my progesterone levels stay in balance. I better find out for sure if its safe now.