Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Labor, Delivery & Postpartum (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   Stepping on toes... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1477885)

Momma2theJs 01-04-2013 12:14 PM

Stepping on toes...

Apparently I've become very adept at pissing everyone off! Do you think it's unreasonable to ask everyone to just wait a few days to flood my house as soon as the baby comes? I INVITED everyone to come to the hospital if they want to meet him right away. (He isn't here yet, I just posted a facebook update. A funny, lighthearted, one.) It said something to the effect of,

"Just so everyone knows... I totally love hospital visitors, but I don't totally love crash-the-house-as-soon-as-we-get-home visitors....and I don't love sick or sniffly visitors at all. So if you're healthy and you want to visit us at the hospital when Jase comes, feel free! If you're healthy and you want to come once we get home...be prepared to see dirty laundry, Tide, lots of the washer and dryer, and be made to cook...no baby involved...take your pick. ;)"

I find NOTHING wrong with taking a few days to allow my family to adjust to a major change before we open up the house for floods of people that only come around when something exciting happens. Am I out of line and my hormones are just blocking my rational thoughts from seeing it? Ugh!!

evasimone 01-04-2013 12:32 PM

Re: Stepping on toes...

No. I think you are totally justified. your Facebook post was blunt but not rude. I bet the people who are upset have probably done some of the things you've mentioned and are feeling butt hurt.

amb2j 01-04-2013 12:36 PM

Not at all out of line! Whenever a friend of mine has a baby, I never invite myself anywhere (i.e., to the hospital or to her home). I simply let the family know that Id love to meet their newest arrival, and will do so whenever, and whereever is most convenient for them :-). I think you are totally valid in your feelings :-)

I personally think its a bit rude of guests to NOT consider that their visiting could be a disruption to the new mother/baby/family! you are completely justified!

Momma2theJs 01-04-2013 12:43 PM

I have some very...err...Okay, yeah, there's no nice way to say it...nosy, bossy, interfering, manipulative, pushy relatives who love to overstep boundaries and take nothing into consideration other than themselves. The bluntness was necessary, but I tried to balance it with humor so it would be lighter and well received. lol Honestly, I don't really care how it's received as long as it is, in fact, received. I just irritates me that I'm hearing all about it when my family and I make a point to consider other people's privacy and wishes in such situations. I would never assume it's okay to just show up during such an important time, plus you feel like CRAP right after you have a baby! lol

Ellasundies 01-04-2013 12:45 PM

I totally get what your saying but I did not read your post as lighthearted and fun. Personally *no flames please* it sounded a little snobby and rude to me.

Momma2theJs 01-04-2013 12:45 PM

And you would think it's common sense/courtesy to stay away from a new baby when you're sick...yeah, it isn't.

JennTheMomma 01-04-2013 12:49 PM

Sounds fine to me! Why do people think that a mom who just had a baby wants a ton of people in their home? I don't want any visitors aside from my MIL and mom for a few weeks! I remember feeling so overwhelmed with my first and in my head was shouting "get the hell out so I can sleep!". Mom and baby needs to rest, get nursing established, bond, all of that. They don't need to play hostess or have other people trying to come in and be in their intimate space. After ds2 was born only my mom, dad and DH's parents saw baby within those first days. After that I didn't want anyone over for 2 weeks (was having a hard time nursing right away). This time will be the same, but may be more than 2 weeks. Baby is due in just a few weeks and I don't want people with colds, flu, etc over, and I know some people may not be forward about that so they can see baby. And we just got over a bad cold, no thank you, don't want it again with a new baby.

weesej 01-04-2013 12:59 PM

My after baby visit includes a meal, a quick walk by mom and baby with a peek and a "He's sweet" Goodbye:)....and possibly grabbing the laundry as I go. No, you are not unreasonable.

luvsgreen 01-04-2013 01:01 PM

Not too much to ask. I know one person had a sign on her front door. You are welcome ig you are healthy. Please don't stay more than 20 minutes, if you do please pick a chore.
A load of dishes, put on a load of laundry, sweep the floor, fold a basket of laundry. It worked great, and no one got offended.

Nicolenutt 01-04-2013 01:19 PM

Not rude or unreasonable. I admire the fact that you were able to be straightforward with every one. Good for you, and good luck with your delivery (: