Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   EC - Elimination Communication (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   EC'ing an infant w/ gas? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1477963)

ez_green_cutie 01-04-2013 02:38 PM

EC'ing an infant w/ gas?

I'd like your opinions and experience, please!
Before dd was born, I read EC books and intended to begin right away. Unfortunately, she was born with horrible gas from the get-go. Crying almost all the time, bringing her legs up in pain, etc.. It was hard to tell any 'cues' or signals. Once in a while during those first 2 months, she would pee when I changed her diaper and I made the 'psss' sound. She only pooped every 7-10 days, so catching that was near impossible. Also note that we're in Seattle and so going pants/diaper-free is not an option due to our house being COLD all the time.
Now dd is 4.5 months old. She's still EBF. Gas is a little better, but still an issue. When she wakes up from naps, I have no chance to run to the bathroom and have her 'try' over the sink because she'll scream until she gets food. There's no way to practically do that.
Any suggestions? Do I just need to wait until the summer when it's warmer, or when her gas is better so that I can read cues more effectively (she's still going poop only 1-2x/week).
Any help greatly appreciated!!

BinahYeteirah 01-04-2013 02:54 PM

Re: EC'ing an infant w/ gas?

You can still offer pottytunities based on timing. For example, when she wakes from a nap, feed her, then offer. If you're certain she won't need to go then, because she has just wet, offer fifteen or twenty minutes later. I sometimes nurse my baby while offering the potty. This is calming and can help a reluctant baby to relax and go.

strongwoman 01-04-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BinahYeteirah (Post 16114930)
You can still offer pottytunities based on timing. For example, when she wakes from a nap, feed her, then offer. If you're certain she won't need to go then, because she has just wet, offer fifteen or twenty minutes later. I sometimes nurse my baby while offering the potty. This is calming and can help a reluctant baby to relax and go.

I agree. Just feed her and then offer the potty. My ds3 poops every 4-7 days and it used to be obvious to me when he would signal. And it would take him ten to fifteen minutes to go pee after nursing. Give her opportunities as much as possible and shell eventually connect :)

rhodesestrada 01-05-2013 01:25 PM

I have two methods I try with my very gassy son. I will sometimes let him stand on the bathroom counter before he goes into potty position (froggy leg). By doing this he can arch his back to expel gas, and he loves to stand and look at himself in the mirror. Lately he's been pulling his legs up himself when he's about to potty :lostit:
At other times, I'll just nurse enough to soothe him so he can get rid of some gas, and when he falls into a lazy nursing pattern, I then offer the potty.