Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   What is your ideal home floor plan? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1478036)

toys2teach 01-04-2013 06:26 PM

What is your ideal home floor plan?

I read lots of post about big houses verses small and how different layouts really make a difference. This got me to thinking what everyone ideal floor plan would be.

Right now we are in a 2200 sq ft home. We are getting ready to put it on the market to down size though. The layout is not working for us. The house is long and the stairs are at the front door. If you are in the sunroom you have a long way to walk if you actually want to put an upstairs item back in its proper home..... so it just doesn't happen.

I would love to have more of a square shaped home where all rooms are easy to access. A large basement for a den/kid area would be AWESOME. However basement homes are hard to come by in North Carolina :banghead:

I want everything on one level (besides the basement). 3 bedrooms and 2 bath rooms. Still deciding if I would prefer a split bedroom floor plan or not. Our kids are all 5 and under so right now it is great having our rom right next to theirs since they often come in to snuggle or wake up crying at night. As they get older though it would be nice to have more of a private master bedroom away from the kids areas.

I would like to be able to see into the living room from the kitchen and also have windows in the kitchen that look out into the back yard so i can wacth the kids play while washing dishes and such. I want to have an attached garage that is converted into an office/game room/storage room and then a detached garage with a workshop.

That is all for now- please excuse the very unorganized format of my floor plan :giggle2: I would love to hear about what layout has worked for other families or what you think would work best and such :thumbsup:

ooohhh- I like this one

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8332/8...7275f3a485.jpg

cherylchoo 01-04-2013 08:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, I'll play! ;)

We have three kids, 9/7/4. We just bought this house in April, a fixer, moved into it in June. Weren't looking for such a big house but a great deal fell in our laps in a highly sought neighborhood/schools. 2400 sf 4 bed, 2.5 bath, two story, attached garage, full basement that is half finished and half not finished, lake access but not on waterfront. My only requirements (besides the location) was at least two bathrooms, ideally a powder room on main floor separate from two full baths, an attached garage, a kitchen I could redo as I wanted. DH insisted on 4 bedrooms or a 3 bed that could be converted into a 4 bed.

Also, in the interest of full disclosure - I love the look of open concept but it does not work for us. I like having an eat-in kitchen that I don't have to look at when I'm relaxing in the family room or entertaining in the dining room. However, all the rooms on the main floor have open doorways with no doors so you can sort of see and definitely hear all other rooms.

This is a drawing I made of the first floor ages ago:

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...9&d=1357357276

Then the 2nd story is the same as the first minus the garage/laundry room/porch. Over the family room and kitchen are two bedrooms, a full bath over where the powder room is, over the living room is the master suite with a small 3/4 bath, and over the dining is the last bedroom. All the bedrooms are fairly big. The basement has the same shape as the second floor, and under the family room and kitchen is unfinished with the furnace and water heater, lots of storage and a big workbench, the side under the living room and dining room is finished and is the kids' playroom. We use the living room as a library and the family room as our primary family gathering place. All the toys are in the basement.

LOVE having the laundry on the main floor. Love that it doubles as a mudroom and still has room for an upright freezer. Love the big windows looking out on the backyard as OP wanted. Love that is open enough to feel spacious but I don't have to look at dishes in the sink, or I can read in the library while someone is watching TV in the family room, and that I can hear the kids wherever they are from the main floor. Also like that I can watch a movie in the basement after they go to bed and it not disturb them.

Love attached garage, no rain or snow to deter me. Love being about to walk from said garage to unload groceries with no stairs. Love that I don't have to go up two flights of stairs to do laundry. Love my giant window with window seat in the kitchen. Love that my bedroom is west facing so I am not disturbed by the early morning sun. :rofl: Love that it has tons of windows and needs no lights in the summer.

All the things I don't love about this house have nothing to do with the layout, and could be changed. I think that is key. ;)

waterisntsomething 01-04-2013 08:59 PM

Re: What is your ideal home floor plan?

I love the ancient roman style floorplan. I would change it a little b/c I would want a house out of a lot of land so it wouldn't make sense to have stores in front and I would kind of prefer my bedrooms in the back off of the garden but I love the idea of a big open atrium with a rainwater collecter and the enclosed yet open garden. http://library.thinkquest.org/10098/media/floorplan.gif

Bexo 01-05-2013 12:34 PM

The house you're describing is really similar to the house I live in (which I love)...we live in an oversized ranch...so everything is on one floor, except we have a finished basement with a guest room and a playroom for the kids.

We have 3 bedrooms on the main floor, a laundry room, a large kitchen that overlooks the backyard...a large living room, and 2 bathrooms (1 master, and 1 for the kids)...then my husband has a detached office behind the garage (which connects to the house).

I really love it. It works beautifully for us.

Quote:

Originally Posted by toys2teach (Post 16115874)
I read lots of post about big houses verses small and how different layouts really make a difference. This got me to thinking what everyone ideal floor plan would be.

Right now we are in a 2200 sq ft home. We are getting ready to put it on the market to down size though. The layout is not working for us. The house is long and the stairs are at the front door. If you are in the sunroom you have a long way to walk if you actually want to put an upstairs item back in its proper home..... so it just doesn't happen.

I would love to have more of a square shaped home where all rooms are easy to access. A large basement for a den/kid area would be AWESOME. However basement homes are hard to come by in North Carolina :banghead:

I want everything on one level (besides the basement). 3 bedrooms and 2 bath rooms. Still deciding if I would prefer a split bedroom floor plan or not. Our kids are all 5 and under so right now it is great having our rom right next to theirs since they often come in to snuggle or wake up crying at night. As they get older though it would be nice to have more of a private master bedroom away from the kids areas.

I would like to be able to see into the living room from the kitchen and also have windows in the kitchen that look out into the back yard so i can wacth the kids play while washing dishes and such. I want to have an attached garage that is converted into an office/game room/storage room and then a detached garage with a workshop.

That is all for now- please excuse the very unorganized format of my floor plan :giggle2: I would love to hear about what layout has worked for other families or what you think would work best and such :thumbsup:

ooohhh- I like this one

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8332/8...7275f3a485.jpg

ctj101502 01-05-2013 12:54 PM

our home is nothing like you described, but 1 thing we love is that the kids have the ability to ride scooters in circles on our 1st floor or Chase each other. the middle is where our stair case is so the go through front entry where stair are, around pantry through kitchen, dining, living rooms and come back out where entry is. this is especially great in the winter. our basement is unfinished currently and we plan on finishing, till we get a separate workshop built dh use it for his workshop, or the . kids would this bows and skate down there to. oh and we store items for a missionary family we are friend with

toys2teach 01-05-2013 01:15 PM

That sounds perfect :thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bexo (Post 16118606)
The house you're describing is really similar to the house I live in (which I love)...we live in an oversized ranch...so everything is on one floor, except we have a finished basement with a guest room and a playroom for the kids.

We have 3 bedrooms on the main floor, a laundry room, a large kitchen that overlooks the backyard...a large living room, and 2 bathrooms (1 master, and 1 for the kids)...then my husband has a detached office behind the garage (which connects to the house).

I really love it. It works beautifully for us.

~Laura~ 01-06-2013 05:17 PM

I can't find an exact layout but here is a pic of something similar. I'd probably want an extra bedroom and if there was no basement, we'd eventually make the covered patio into a sunroom. Also, we'd make the garage bigger and have a pantry off the kitchen.

http://www.dreamhomesource.com/house...1-LI-BL-LG.GIF