Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Thinking about quitting and i feel like a failure (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1478176)

kaia.aline 01-05-2013 07:00 AM

Thinking about quitting and i feel like a failure

Everything in me screams no formula but I am so mentally, physically, emotionally exhausted. I just don't know what to do she has severe reflux and is up eating every hour or more lately so of course I'm the one up with her since she's ebf, plus she's so attached to me she sleeps in my arms or she will only sleep 10-15m at a time. I just don't know what to do :( :cry:

l_Kimmie_l 01-05-2013 07:08 AM

Re: Thinking about quitting and i feel like a failure

Is she on meds for the reflux? I know that my reflux babies wanted to eat a lot to make their bellies feel better and it made it worse. SHe could be going through a growth spurt too. THey have many in those first few months where they are literally on you 24/7 feeding. Hang in there, it is hard, but it will pass, I promise. She is upping her supply and trying to make her tummy feel better. I know Zantac really helped my boys.

MDever 01-05-2013 07:27 AM

Yes, to what Kimmie said. Our DD3 needed to medications daily to get her reflux under control and just recently was weaned off at 23mo. Have you had LO to a gastro doctor? I love our pedi to death but she was not familiar enough with treating severe reflux or the importance of how some of the medications are dosed or prepared.

kaia.aline 01-05-2013 07:38 AM

We actually switched to a ped that treats reflux very aggressively, my good fried is a nurse with a pediatric GI and when I told her TLs med protocol she said it was the most/aggressive medications her dr would prescribe for an infant- she is on benethechol, Prevacid, and maalox. We had her on nexxium instead of Prevacid for a while but it didn't help so we went back to the Prevacid

When she was 3 weeks old I took dairy out of my diet but it didn't help so I went back on it but recently I went paleo so I've cut dairy, grains, processed sugar, and legumes out of my diet, I know it takes 2 weeks to get out of my system so I'm praying it might help but I doubt it will, I have no faith right now.

crazyeyesmcgee 01-05-2013 07:47 AM

How often is she nursing the day? Is he gaining well?

l_Kimmie_l 01-05-2013 07:59 AM

Remember her reflux is worse when laying down, so that might be why she naps 10-15 min at a time. All my boys with reflux napped less time and in my arms slightly elevated. She is a month away from having her GI track mature more, which is when I saw my boys improve.

kaia.aline 01-05-2013 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyeyesmcgee
How often is she nursing the day? Is he gaining well?

She nurses every 2-3hrs during the day and at night it's much more often.

She is not gaining very well, she is gaining but not as much as the dr would like

crazyeyesmcgee 01-05-2013 08:03 AM

I just wonder if maybe there is a physical issue going on, like tongue or lip tie, or a palate issue? Have you been to an LC? Are you in pain while nursing? How's your LO's latch?

ETA: sometimes it's possible the baby's hunger & frustration cues can mimic reflux symptoms, and the dr will just medicate for that rather than looking into other possible issues. Just a thought!

tinyblackdot 01-05-2013 08:09 AM

My dd had horrible tummy issues when I was bfing.

Are you eating any soy products?

I would suggest cutting out milk AND soy for at least a month to see if there is a change. If the milk is in your system for 2 weeks it can stay in the babies that long to! So that's 4 weeks before you see a difference.

If you do decide to give up, I would encourage you to keep pumping. I was pressured into givin my LO neocate, after 6 months of battling bloody diapers and reflux and no sleep, and then realized that the neocate made no difference, and tried to go back to BFing but it was too late.

kaia.aline 01-05-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyeyesmcgee
I just wonder if maybe there is a physical issue going on, like tongue or lip tie, or a palate issue? Have you been to an LC? Are you in pain while nursing? How's your LO's latch?

ETA: sometimes it's possible the baby's hunger & frustration cues can mimic reflux symptoms, and the dr will just medicate for that rather than looking into other possible issues. Just a thought!

We had latch issues at the beginning but I think her latch is pretty good now, I will have the ped check for a lip/tongue tie when we go back next week for her weight