Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transaction & Feedback Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   tracking/delivery confirmation w/ paypal shipping (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1478341)

debcita429 01-05-2013 03:28 PM

tracking/delivery confirmation w/ paypal shipping

Newbie questions:

I will have a kitchen scale soon. Although I got it for making cosmetics, I'm hoping to also be able to sell more things and just put them in my personal mailbox for my letter carrier to pick up. That would be great, as I presently can't get to the post office very often.

I have a question though: Does the tracking/delivery confirmation that comes with paypal postage fees automatically activate when you have a carrier picking it up at your mailbox? I assume that they scan it, and it's a done deal. Or do you need to go to the post office in order for that to work? .

And are their size or content limitations on what can be picked up from your mailbox (other than that it fits into it)? I have gotten conflicting information on this. Are small priority boxes, 4x8, 6x10, and 8.5x12 bubble mailers all acceptable in your mailbox provided they fit??

I've actually sold quite a few things on eBay before, but lacking a scale I never looked into this option.

Thanks much :)

abunchoflemons 01-05-2013 03:59 PM

Re: tracking/delivery confirmation w/ paypal shipping

Ours using usps app said to say how much they pick up so they know of they need to bring truck to get our if they can carry on bag. So total weightneeded. Schedule pickups. All I know.

debcita429 01-05-2013 04:22 PM

Hi lemons, I actually don't think my local post office participates in the package pick-up program where you call ahead (unless I spoke to an ornery and misinformed clerk). But they do pick up mail from your mailbox. So I'd still like to hear from those who just leave their packages in their mailboxes... particularly re: the paypal tracking.

Thanks!

abunchoflemons 01-05-2013 04:38 PM

There is done threads saying PO not scan paypal printed stuff so your might want to check with post Master on scanning. It is schedules you put in app. You can say to holds mail too our that's what app says.

debcita429 01-05-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abunchoflemons (Post 16119590)
There is done threads saying PO not scan paypal printed stuff so your might want to check with post Master on scanning. It is schedules you put in app. You can say to holds mail too our that's what app says.

I don't mean to be dense, but it sounds like you have an iphone app? I don't have a phone capable of that stuff. Thanks for the heads' up on the apparent lack of tracking if you do not bring packages to the post office (I guess that's what you mean??). I'll try to look that thread up. Thanks.

debcita429 01-05-2013 04:46 PM

The old thread I'm looking at says that a lot of sellers have had problems with the post office not scanning in delivery confirmation/tracking regardless of whether it was paypal or handed in over the counter. So I take it that this is more of a regular post office error than it is a normative thing that they do not scan paypal. But I'm not sure....

BeccaSueCongdon 01-05-2013 04:49 PM

They don't scan it at your house. It gets scanned when it reaches the post office. Your mail carrier takes it TO the post office and it gets sorted with all the other incoming mail.

The Paypal delivery confirmation is NOT tracking. It's a delivery confirmation. They aren't required to scan it at every checkpoint and often don't.

debcita429 01-05-2013 05:25 PM

Thanks, Becca! That's what I'm getting from looking at old threads too. And it sounds like the delivery confirmation often isn't scanned even when you take it to the post office. So any way you do it, there's a gamble involved....

BeccaSueCongdon 01-05-2013 06:14 PM

Well the gamble part can be addressed by purchasing insurance. As the seller, you are responsible to refund the seller if the package is damaged or lost, so its in your best interest to purchase insurance. Paypal will require the seller to refund, regardless of insurance. So it's there to protect the seller.

Rdesonia 01-05-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debcita429 (Post 16119753)
Thanks, Becca! That's what I'm getting from looking at old threads too. And it sounds like the delivery confirmation often isn't scanned even when you take it to the post office. So any way you do it, there's a gamble involved....

IF you go to the post office, you can ask for a Acceptance receipt. This is a receipt that has the weight (as weighed by the post office) and the tracking numbers of every package you drop off. They will scan them in as "accepted" by the post office at the time you get that receipt. (**I rarely have issues with my post office not scanning them. On occasion they don't but then they are scanned at the sort facility. It is annoying because it looks to the buyer like I mailed the packages a day later than I really did!)