Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   singapore earlybird vs. essential? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1478372)

3rugrats 01-05-2013 04:39 PM

singapore earlybird vs. essential?

can anyone tell me the difference b/t these? having trouble finding a description on the website. both say for K :headscratch:

HeatherlovesCDs 01-05-2013 05:33 PM

Re: singapore earlybird vs. essential?

Quickly....the Earlybird has both a text book and a workbook. You do the text book for the lessons and then the workbook for the practice. Essentials has just a workbook. On the bottom of each page is instructions and ideas for teaching the concept in a hands on way. The Earlybird text book is color (not sure about the workbook, but I think it may be color too). The Essentials is black and white. The Earlybird is more expensive.

We used the Essentials. We liked it. We liked that it was black and white because my son loved to color the pages. I definitely did not feel we needed a separate text book in K. The suggestions at the bottom of the page along with the work on the page were enough. We are now doing 1A and have the separate text. I still am not sure we need it at this level, but we are using it. :) (I also got the teacher's guide for 1A, not K)

3rugrats 01-06-2013 05:59 AM

thank you so much!

would you say they are the same level, earlybird just has the additional materials?

BinahYeteirah 01-06-2013 02:18 PM

Yes, they are both the same level. I've always heard that Earlybird had a lot more busywork and is more suited to schools. As already noted, Essential Math is cheaper, simpler, and perfectly sufficient.

HeatherlovesCDs 01-06-2013 04:33 PM

:yeahthat:

3rugrats 01-06-2013 05:48 PM

thanks, ladies!

tibeca 01-06-2013 06:54 PM

Just want to chime in that we love essentials. All the black and white pages means lots of coloring=fun for DD

3rugrats 01-06-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tibeca (Post 16124023)
Just want to chime in that we love essentials. All the black and white pages means lots of coloring=fun for DD

good to know. I've been a bit overwhelmed w/ choosing math for my DD. I feel she is ready for *something* but I have been forced a bit to be more on the unschooling side of things b/c of having a very rambunctious 2yo who ambushes any well laid plans I have.

I've thought Right start looks good, but I am afraid that I won't be able to keep up w/ what it requires of me. Essentials is sounding more like something she can do more on her own while also not too heavy. does that sound about right?

snugglebutter 01-06-2013 07:51 PM

We like Essentials. I think with both, the level A books are more of a preschool level - just something to keep in mind when you order.