Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Labor, Delivery & Postpartum (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   Pros and Cons of water birth?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1478382)

alyxmegan 01-05-2013 06:10 PM

Pros and Cons of water birth??

I am expecting my first in June and am looking into water birth. It seems to be the best way from what I have seem but I was hoping to get some info from woman who have done it. I want to know the good but I also want to know the bad so I can make an informed decision.
Thanks guys!

Agla 01-05-2013 06:21 PM

There was a thread recently and I asked about water birth a while ago and got some great responses too.

Agla 01-05-2013 06:22 PM

Found it

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1243493

Recap for me: I have labored in a tub 3 times. Delivered in the tub twice. I won't try delivering without it.

eljube112 01-05-2013 06:39 PM

Re: Pros and Cons of water birth??

I laboured in water 4 times and delivered in water twice. First time I didn't like it. I think in hindsight I got in too early. Couldn't keep the water warm enough, and it just felt "off". I ended up being transferred and delivered via c-sec.

Next two births were textbook perfect water births. Quick, easy, and relatively pain free.

Fourth birth I didn't have my big birthing tub. I tried labouring in the bathtub and HATED it. Turns out that I was most comfortable standing and delivered that way.

I think you can "prepare" all you want for a water birth, but you aren't going to know what feels right and good until you're in it. You might love it, it might work great, but it might also be weird and you might want something else. Nothing wrong with that.

alyxmegan 01-05-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agla (Post 16119739)
Found it

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1243493

Recap for me: I have labored in a tub 3 times. Delivered in the tub twice. I won't try delivering without it.

thanks i'll look!!

alyxmegan 01-05-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eljube112 (Post 16119796)
I laboured in water 4 times and delivered in water twice. First time I didn't like it. I think in hindsight I got in too early. Couldn't keep the water warm enough, and it just felt "off". I ended up being transferred and delivered via c-sec.

Next two births were textbook perfect water births. Quick, easy, and relatively pain free.

Fourth birth I didn't have my big birthing tub. I tried labouring in the bathtub and HATED it. Turns out that I was most comfortable standing and delivered that way.

I think you can "prepare" all you want for a water birth, but you aren't going to know what feels right and good until you're in it. You might love it, it might work great, but it might also be weird and you might want something else. Nothing wrong with that.

Thats a good point. I'll keep an open mind. Thanks!

jackobeano 01-07-2013 01:36 AM

Our midwife who has delivered over 1300 babies said the only negative she has seen to a water birth is being born into the water rinses off some of the baby's natural protective coating but that happens the first time you bathe them anyways so just depends on how long you were hoping to keep the protective coating on their skin. She said she had one mom who didn't birth in water not wash baby for quite some time and than the first time they did baby starting getting dirty after that, lol.

I personally loved the water with DS and am planning another water birth with our newbie due soon. It helps with the pain and was soothing to me. Also helps to keep you from tearing and baby is born into a similar environment that they were just in, so not as much of an immediate shock for them. I think there are an immense amount more benefits than negatives.

amb2j 01-07-2013 07:40 AM

Labored in the tub with DS and birthed on the bed (due to stalling and need for some interventions). I loved the tub for pain relief and it also created a "bubble" where I was alone (which I loved during labor). The only downside for me was that the pool was so big, and the tub so deep that I didnt really feel "grounded." I dont think I would have liked to deliver in the tub if I even had that option. I plan to labor in the tub this time, but deliver outside of it.

hohaas 01-07-2013 10:06 AM

DD3 & DD4 were water births and I loved them. After DD3 I knew I wouldn't birth any other way. I think the water made both labor and delivery easier to handle.

With DD4 after they broke my water you could smell there was infection but I still delivered in the water. I did develop a bladder infection after birth but I can't say with 100% certainty that it was from the water birth b/c I could have still ended up with one with a dry land birth since both the fluid and placenta had infection but just wanted to mention it anyway. Of course, I would've chosen a water birth anyway if it was certain!

Carolinagirlbrisa 01-07-2013 10:16 AM

I've had two water births and loved both. The only downside to my second was that it was in a regular shower/tub combo, so a little crowded feeling. That being said, it was still my least painful and quickest birth. I probably wouldn't deliver any other way, I guess it just really depends on what I feel at the time I'm in labor! One extra good thing about the water birth was that my DD (second water birth) had her cord wrapped around her neck loosely 3 times and since babies don't breathe until they hit air, we had enough time to unwrap the cord before my midwife and I pulled her up out of the water. Really, you just have to do what feels right to you!