Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Family of 4 and a minivan-too much space? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1478399)

hilaryisinked 01-05-2013 07:33 PM

Family of 4 and a minivan-too much space?

We are getting a second vehicle, finally, with our tax refund. We are thinking of getting a minivan. We have 2 children and can't have any more. We have an 80 lb dog. We road trip and move a lot. Family comes to visit us and we have to rent one to have space for everyone. That costs a lot. My DH isn't going to make my sister who is a single mom or my mom pay for it. He wants to get a minivan. We currently have a Scion xB and it just is not roomy enough for us since we got our dog last Spring. We can't take the dog and our double stroller anywhere at the same time. Our groceries fall out the back when we get home. I absolutely love our Scion but it doesn't work for us anymore. It will be DH's commuter car. Part of me thinks it might be a little much for a family of 4 to have a minivan. Maybe I'm just being silly. What do you think?

Disclaimer: I mean no respect to anyone with a van and 2 kids. I don't think you are ridiculous to do that. I really like the van and would like to have it. In my mind I see people thinking "why the heck do they need all that with just 2 kids?" I know, I know. It shouldn't matter what people think but it does to me. It always has.

OneFishTwoFish 01-05-2013 07:35 PM

Re: Family of 4 and a minivan-too much space?

We have two kids and we bought a minivan before DS2 turned a year. It is the BEST! You will DEFINITELY use all the space. I couldn't imagine cramming us all into our Camry with luggage for a road trip. No way!

sojomisa 01-05-2013 07:36 PM

I think it's perfect for 4 plus stroller and dog. You won't regret it.

UVASahm 01-05-2013 07:38 PM

Haha I only have one guy and have a minivan! I love it! We plan on having more if we can but it is soooo nice to not have to worry about rear facing in a small car. The passenger has TONS of space.

hilaryisinked 01-05-2013 07:40 PM

Thanks everyone! :D This is making me feel better about getting it. I really want it I was just concerned it would be too much space.

luvsviola 01-05-2013 07:41 PM

I absolutely loved my van with 1 kid, and then with 2 kids. I will never drive anything else. My FIL is a single widow and drives a Sienna. He loves it. :)

maddys_mama 01-05-2013 07:42 PM

Not too much space! We bought the van with 2 kids (and a dog) and didn't know if we were having more. It's nice having room for friends and family. And we definitely use every inch of that van (including a roof top carrier) during our moves and trips!

MrsStripe 01-05-2013 07:47 PM

We bought our van with one kid. It was super. We are on our way to kid 3 and now we just hope it fits us and our stuff. 2 kids with a van with stow and go seats is perfect. Also think about driving their friends around in a few years.

Fryedaddy 01-05-2013 08:02 PM

We are getting ready to have our second child and also seriously thinking about the minivan option. I'm so happy to see all the good response. After our last vacation with a weeks worth of stuff and meals for all of us plus jogging stroller for 6 hrs I was ready for a minivan with a tv and way to make a bed in the back! Lol!

cdeweese 01-05-2013 08:05 PM

We bought our minivan BEFORE kids haha! We had three dogs and are military, so we moved a lot. I also had a home daycare and it really helped transporting the kids to and from school. We have two kids and still have the same van :)