Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Medication Issues (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1478472)

halielise924 01-05-2013 10:17 PM

I currently have a mass on my left ovary, we don't know if its just a cyst or what yet (not concerned). The pain is pretty bad so I finally broke down and took the prescribed Lortabs. Now I have to pump & dump until its been 12 hours. I had an great stash in the freezer so DS has gotten breastmilk still.

My question is, even though I am pumping in rotation with his bottles, will my supply suffer?
Are there ways to insure my supply won't deplete?

I have the mothers milk tea, so I'm going to consume that.

Also I got lortabs right after I had my son (csection) and was told it was ok to BF while on them. Why is it suddenly an issue now?!?!

I never want my child on formula (personal opinion!!) :(

leyash 01-05-2013 10:21 PM

Re: Medication Issues

Isn't lortab the same as norco?

If so, that's what they give in the hospital after you give birth. I thought this medication was okay while breastfeeding?

leyash 01-05-2013 10:22 PM

By the way, for pain, a warm bath, or warm compress helps a TON. I've dealt with ovarian cysts (as large as 7cm) for the last several years. Have also had moments where my ovary looked like a chocolate chip cookie. Warm tea, and walking (ironically enough) REALLY help.

halielise924 01-06-2013 07:28 PM

Bump

halielise924 01-07-2013 03:39 AM

I've been fevered and hurting and taking baths to no avail. I have been drinking cold tea but prior to this I just drank hot tea and iced green tea. I'm not sure what norco is.

My belly is so bloated I went from slimming down magnificently to look 6 months prego in my belly in 1.5 days and it hasn't cleared.

cuddlebunny_24 01-07-2013 04:27 AM

I have been on lortab while nursing and it did not affect the baby. It is basically the same thing for norco. Actully I was sent home from the hospital with it when I had my youngest and the doctor knew I was breast feeding.

halielise924 01-07-2013 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuddlebunny_24
I have been on lortab while nursing and it did not affect the baby. It is basically the same thing for norco. Actully I was sent home from the hospital with it when I had my youngest and the doctor knew I was breast feeding.

That's the same as me. But the ER doctors acted like it was absurd! Ill call my gyno tomorrow. I can't stand the idea of not EBF but this pain is excessive.

Computermama 01-07-2013 07:39 AM

Too many times doctors get weird about breastfeeding and stick to the CYA statements if they don't know if it's safe for sure. If it's given to section mamas, it's likely safe for breastfeeding.

Spunkify 01-07-2013 05:01 PM

After Noah was born I was sent home with Norco 5-325mg for my severe after-birth pains. I actually had Dr. Hale's book with me, as well as discussed it with the totally awesome LC that visited us during our stay, and would not have gotten it if it wasn't compatible with breastfeeding or posed risks to my newborn.

His 2008 book states "commonly used in breastfeeding mothers in the USA. He goes on to say that no data on hydrocodone levels in milk are available" and "...to reduce exposure of the infant, attempt to feed infant prior to taking the medication."

My son was born full term, after sporadic labor, FWIW.

This information may have changed in his newest book, don't know but it's on my "to buy" list.

vmomma 01-07-2013 07:31 PM

Lortab is safe while breastfeeding. Many docs (including mine) don't have any idea about medication safety while breastfeeding, and they don't want the liability, so they just say it's unsafe. My PCP won't prescribe me ANY medications while I'm nursing. He actually went as far as to say I should just use formula with all the antibiotics they put in meat these days! I'm just passing all the crap to my baby. He's not a bad guy, just has NO CLUE!

Take the med mama. You and baby will be fine :)