Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   What does your curriculum and schedule look like? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1478513)

lisarenee25 01-06-2013 07:52 AM

What does your curriculum and schedule look like?

Before baby we did Phonics, cursive Math and history MWF

We did phonics, grammer and cursive TTh

After baby we had to make cuts. Not sure of a schedule though, cause I feel like we need it all. LOL.

For phonics - Explode the code
Math - Saxon
History and geography - Bibliplan
Grammer - Abeka
Cursive - a reason for handwriting

What are you doing? What about if you are breastfeeding an infant?

HeatherlovesCDs 01-06-2013 06:08 PM

Re: What does your curriculum and schedule look like?

How old is your child and what "grade?"

I'm nursing an almost 3 month old. He nurses very often still, usually, more than every 2hrs.

We do Bible, phonics, math and I read to them everyday. History is incorporated in. Science is 2x's a week. Randomly we do activities related to our Bible/history. We don't do cursive yet and are planning to wait till 3rd grade for it. We use My Father's World 1st grade.

I am often nursing while teaching.

AZmommy 01-08-2013 01:06 AM

I agree age of child/grade makes a big difference I have a 4th grade 10 year old so we do more our weekly schedule covers

Religion
History
Literature
art appreciation and analysis
art practice
Music Appreciation
Science
Language arts
grammar and composition
penmanship
reading skill/spelling
Mathematics
PE
independent reading

it sounds like a lot but it is not.. Each area is covered between 1-4 days per week and each area takes between 30-1hour to complete on average.. Math and Independent reading are the only subjects that are always 4 days long..
I write out how many lessons we will have in each area on strips of paper. my DD then gets to choose on which days she will do those subjects sometimes (often) she will choose to keep Fridays free but not always. We also do have 2 commentments on Thursdays her Piano and Gymnastics but I just count them as her PE and music..

As far as our days.. Things can get a bit crazy I have a 2.5 year old and I watch our neighbors just turned 2 year old during the day here as well.. But typical day..

6am- I get up and go across the street to sit babysit at our neighbors untill the oldest is off at school and the little one wakes. (DH stays at our home with ours)

8:00amish I return home
8am-10am everyone else up breakfast dressed and morning chores
10-12 school time
12-1pm lunch/break outside time which often doubles for PE
1-3pm school time
3pm mine goes down for a nap typically and 10 year old gets some independent reading in, quiet time with neighbors kid (whom does soo NOT nap)till she gets picked up around 4-4:30

Deanna

Deanna

fawnlovesjasper 01-08-2013 05:51 AM

Right now I have a 2nd, a 1st and a preschool tag-along.

Our daily subjects are:
Math (McRuffy Press)
Reading (one is still in phonics using Hooked on Phonics the other is reading fairly independently so we just choose books for her to read)
Total Reading (this is a workbook that covers grammar, writing and reading comprehension skills)
Read aloud (sometimes this has to do with Science or Social Studies sometimes is a string of picture books, sometimes is classical literature, sometimes its things like Junie B Jones or Magic Tree House)

Subjects not done every day:
Science M/W (Core Knowledge Sequence)
Social Studies T/TH (Core Knowledge Sequence)
Art T (Artistic Pursuits)
Music TH (www.classicsforkids.com and Progressive Method Recorder)
Phys Ed M/W/and every other F (Wii, kids yoga or exercise DVDs, playing outside)
Health and Safety e/o F (topics selected by me, nutrition, fitness, hygiene, fire safety, camping safety, dangerous people, etc)

I don't have a time schedule. When it's done, it's done. We have a checklist that each kid goes through and when they are done they are done.

croark 01-08-2013 09:20 AM

I usually get up around 7-8, drink coffee, have quiet prayer time.
9 am start breakfast.
10am start school work. Each child has their own lesson plan book. Dd10 can work through hers pretty independently. Math, reading, spelling, grammar, writing, science, history. We alternate science and history so they aren't done on the same day.
Dd6 is still dependent on me. We just cover Math and some type reading/phonics/letters. And then she usually sits in on Dd10's history and science lessons.
Dd3 wonders around doing her thing. Playing, watching cartoons, begging for food (it's all she thinks about!), and on some days she "do school too" (cutting, coloring, playing with dry rice and beans, etc).

Dd10 is usually done by 1-1:30 every day. Dd6 can do her stuff in an hour or so. I'm a minimalist when it comes to school. No might near all day schooling here.

We also have 4 day school weeks.

a_marines_wife03 01-08-2013 10:24 AM

Ok are we must be odd because we start school at seven am and are usually done by 12 so the girls have time to play with dad before he heads to work. We dont do class in any specific order I lay stuff out and they sorta chose what they want to do first. But its kindergarten and pre k. Next year I am hoping to be a little more structured well see how it goes.

HeatherlovesCDs 01-08-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_marines_wife03 (Post 16130326)
Ok are we must be odd because we start school at seven am and are usually done by 12 so the girls have time to play with dad before he heads to work. We dont do class in any specific order I lay stuff out and they sorta chose what they want to do first. But its kindergarten and pre k. Next year I am hoping to be a little more structured well see how it goes.

I don't know that you are odd, but *I* am not interested in starting so early. We aren't even out of bed till 8am, sometimes 8:30. :hide: By the time we get dressed, nurse the baby, eat breakfast, nurse again it's at least 10am. But, I do have 6 young kids. The above stuff is very time consuming. We start school around 10-10:30, sometimes even as late as 11. We are usually done with Bible, calendar activities and phonics before lunch (at 12:30) and then do math and anything else right after lunch while my 2 year olds are napping.

a_marines_wife03 01-08-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs (Post 16130737)
I don't know that you are odd, but *I* am not interested in starting so early. We aren't even out of bed till 8am, sometimes 8:30. :hide: By the time we get dressed, nurse the baby, eat breakfast, nurse again it's at least 10am. But, I do have 6 young kids. The above stuff is very time consuming. We start school around 10-10:30, sometimes even as late as 11. We are usually done with Bible, calendar activities and phonics before lunch (at 12:30) and then do math and anything else right after lunch while my 2 year olds are napping.

My kids sleep tell 8 I wouldnt know what to do with my self mygirls are up between 5 and 6 its very rare that one of them will sleep tell 7 and thats usually only when someone is sick and neither of them will nap. we went to breakfast at 5:30 this morning because everyone was up. I was not blessed with sleepers. Lol good thing I do good with mornings.

HeatherlovesCDs 01-08-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_marines_wife03 (Post 16130786)
My kids sleep tell 8 I wouldnt know what to do with my self mygirls are up between 5 and 6 its very rare that one of them will sleep tell 7 and thats usually only when someone is sick and neither of them will nap. we went to breakfast at 5:30 this morning because everyone was up. I was not blessed with sleepers. Lol good thing I do good with mornings.

Life seems to work itself out because I am not a morning person at all. If my kids got up that early, I'd lose my mind due to lack of sleep. LOL! Though, I admit, I wish they got me up slightly earlier. I can't seem to get myself to do it without them forcing me to get up, but I'd rather be starting school by 9:30 each day. I'd rather they wake me up at about 7:30. But, this is our schedule and it works for us. It sounds like yours works well for you. I would bet that neither one of us is all that odd, but that most families start later than you and earlier than me. :giggle:

ETA - This is one of the best things about homeschooling, making our own schedule!! :cheer:

tibeca 01-08-2013 12:24 PM

I am tandem nursing a 2 yo and 5 month old, so most of school, I am nursing or comforting at least one of them.

DD1 is 4 yo, but working somewhere between Kindergarten and first grade work. Our curriculum is Horizon Phonics, Singapore Essentials math, HWT, Chinese +extras.

We start around 10 am and are "done" with the official work by lunch (between 11:30 and 12:30). Extras include science, reading, art, etc. We do school 2-4times per week, depending on how cooperative her sisters are being and whether she wants to do school. We are very loosely schooled, so not quite unschooled, as we have some curriculum, but mostly, I follow her lead.

Example, today we learned the difference between a pterodactyl and pteranodon. Drew some pictures and she was allowed to watch Dinosaur Train, because it was related. Then she makes her "report". The report is like a book report, except drawn, since she can't write all the words yet. So we discuss characters, plot, draw a picture and write at least 1 dictated word that is related.

We do a report everyday of either a video, science experiment or book (usually book). Her report is done after lunch, whenever we/she gets to it. I use those to keep track of what we are learning, with the intent to use it for our homeschool reviews with the district next year.