Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   If your DH/SO successfully took weight off, how did you help? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1478532)

risata 01-06-2013 09:14 AM

If your DH/SO successfully took weight off, how did you help?

More specifically, I'm interested in what THEY felt was most helpful from you. Meal planning? Encouragement? Working out together?

DH wants to take off some weight. Every other time this has happened he is gung-ho at first but then fizzles out after a few weeks, even if he sees progress. I feel like I'm nagging if I keep after him -- I think we both get tired of it. I want him to WANT to do it, kwim? But I know the right kind of encouragement probably goes a long way. I'm just not sure what that is!

crystalanne79 01-06-2013 09:29 AM

Re: If your DH/SO successfully took weight off, how did you help?

my dh took off 50lbs but that was entirely because he wanted to. I don't think there is anything you can say or do to make him lose weight if he isn't ready to. The same went for when I lost 42lbs, it was because I had had enough and made the decision.

risata 01-06-2013 09:45 AM

I know he wants to do it. Right now he is really motivated by himself. But if this goes like all the other times he will get discouraged in a few weeks. I guess I'm just wondering if there is something I can be doing that will gently encourage him without nagging, something I've missed the other times ...

doulamomma 01-06-2013 09:46 AM

Constantly stroking his ego. Lol

Sent from my droid

KaleidoscopeEyes 01-06-2013 10:21 AM

dh has to keep his bmi under 30 to qualify for medical studies. he's a big guy about 6'1 and 225 normally. when his pants start feeling tight he wants to go on a diet. he did a round of hcg with me, he also did a month of raw vegan, he's currently doing low carb (vegetarian) he would like to lose about 25 lbs (get under 200) i help him by giving him ideas to make low carb alternatives to his favorites and i make him snacks like low carb cheesecake etc. even though he's bordering on obese i think he looks HWP

mamaerica 01-06-2013 10:28 AM

My DH has lost 100 pounds. I've helped by cooking healthier meals, and making sure to make him a lunch to take to work so that he's not tempted by fast foods.

thealmightyme 01-06-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaerica (Post 16121881)
My DH has lost 100 pounds. I've helped by cooking healthier meals, and making sure to make him a lunch to take to work so that he's not tempted by fast foods.

100lbs that's awrsome

craigwick 01-06-2013 10:36 AM

My DH lost over 120lbs over a year and I really did nothing different, it had to come from him or it wouldn't have stuck. I had always cooked reasonably healthy, he just had no idea how to eat a proper portion or limit himself. His sister helped him with working out as that is just not my thing. We live in a really small town though, so he got alot of praise/encouragement from tons of people he knows all the time, which I think boosted his ego more than I ever could. Now, I slip in info on healthy eating under the guise of "teaching the kids" while he is within earshot.

risata 01-06-2013 11:21 AM

Wow 100 lbs and 120 lbs lost! That's incredible. Good for them!

Ego stroking will go a long way for sure. LOL. I have a few subtle changes to implement around here that I'm debating whether to discuss with him or just do it and see if he even notices. Ha!

I think one of his biggest issues is portion control so I might casually bring it up ... I like the idea of "teaching the kids" when he is around! That's smart. :)

craigwick 01-06-2013 11:47 AM

Yeah, he thinks I am nagging if I speak to him directly, so it is the only way to impart my wisdom ;). Plus my older DD is very interested in learning what foods are healthy and where they fit (ie protein/carbs etc) in her diet.