Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   How do I convince my other that my DD cannot wear a snowsuit in the car? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1478561)

Huxley 01-06-2013 10:26 AM

How do I convince my other that my DD cannot wear a snowsuit in the car?

How can I convince my mother that my daughter cannot wear a snowsuit in the car? We have cold winters here and I feel awful that my DD might be a little cold going from the car to a store, but I like her alive. With the cold winter, there are a lot of car accidents. People also hit moose all the time.

How did you get someone on your side. My mom thinks I'm awful. She implies that I'm being neglectful and that my poor daughter will freeze. It's to the point where I want to just put a freakin snow suit on my daughter.

At the beginning of winter I compromised and got my daughter this bunting thing. http://www.columbiasportswear.ca/You...,en_CA,pd.html My mom was happy, but she doesn't think it's warm enough anymore.

So people with cold winters. How do you keep your children warm? Is there an acceptable snowsuit? How do you convince others of the danger?

Thanks.

Heather8183 01-06-2013 10:37 AM

Check the car seat forum for a thread with a title of something like "user error or malfunction". I'm mobile or I'd link it. That baby was wearing a snow suit. Also, put your baby in a snowsuit and adjust the car seat straps to where they fit her. Then take her out and take off the snowsuit, and then put her back in and show your mom the gap between the straps and your baby. A lot of times you can even pull the baby out the top of the straps without undoing them.

monica-m 01-06-2013 11:01 AM

Re: How do I convince my other that my DD cannot wear a snowsuit in the car?

The first issue here is that your mother is not respecting you as a mother and she is trying to bully you in to doing what she thinks you should do. This is NOT OKAY in any way, shape, or form. This needs to be addressed or it will get progressively worse.

This http://carseatsmadeeasy.blogspot.com...in-winter.html was written by a member here and it has good information and pictures of the why and hows associated with keeping kids warm in the car. The author lives in Alaska so she knows a thing or two about cold weather.

leyash 01-06-2013 11:04 AM

Show them this:

http://www.pressherald.com/news/Infa...ecovering.html

Take it off, buckle them in, give them a blanket. She will be just as warm.

kushie tushie 01-06-2013 11:07 AM

I'm mobile so I can't see you stats.
Where are you? How cold is you winter's?

Were in CT and dress the kids in layers. Kids get gloves and hats in the car. Plus a blanket tucked around them.

We have a carseat poncho and if we are using it then we put that on them as an extra layer. If we aren't using that then we take them out of their seats and put their coats on. Throw them over our shoulders and put the blanket over them.

ETA if she doesn't want to play by your rules then doesn't get to drive DD anywhere.

I'm mobile.... sorry for the typos!

Huxley 01-06-2013 11:15 AM

I have to stress that my mom is usually great at respecting my choices. She's just feels really strongly that my baby needs a snowsuit.

I'm from north eastern Ontario. Our winters aren't crazy, but we get down to -35 Celcius some days.

My mom admitted that's she's embarrassed when people see my daughter not dressed up in a snowsuit. Most people in my town don't follow the rules.

waterisntsomething 01-06-2013 11:39 AM

Can she go out and turn the car on a few minutes early to heat it up?

adavieau 01-06-2013 11:59 AM

If it was my mother I'd listen to what she had to say and politely tell her why I was doing what I was doing (in my case she didn't like that my kids were rear facing for so long) and if she persisted I'd tell her "thank you for your input, dh and I are doing what we believe is the safest for dd and the subject is not open for discussion any more"

Fairycat 01-06-2013 12:59 PM

Could you just buy a fleece low puff suit or similar, so she feels she's warm enough, and you know she is safe? In the cold I use fleece a lot, it's not bulky but extremely warm.

amandajiggles 01-06-2013 02:21 PM

We are in Niagara Falls, mt MIL is from Thunder Bay. She tried insisting on extra layers while visiting over Xmas and wanted to take my 3 year old to the store in two pairs of pants, a snow suit, jacket, hat tied around her chin plus mittens winter boots and her hood pulled up/done up. Firstly, it was only minus five with the windchill, but damp. Secondly, you can't even get kids that bundled up in a seat without 5 point harnesses in the way. You may as well just stick them on the floor because car seat straps are useless if not properly fastened with a chest clip in place. Does your mother go out in a ski suit to shop? Babies are supposed to be dressed the same as you plus one extra layer. A fleece bunting outfit over regular clothes is fine! Throw on some mittens and a hat and you are set. A blanket in the car is the only additional item I would suggest using. She can always wrap your LO in the blanket on the way in the store, or take advantage of family parking spots.