Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Elastic stretched and diapers leaking! Why? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1478566)

FulHouse 01-06-2013 10:45 AM

Elastic stretched and diapers leaking! Why?

The beautiful AIO diapers I've been collecting because they "never leak" have started leaking all the time through the legs. Certain ones would leak from her first pee, lasting 5 minutes instead of 5 hours. (The longest day time they held out for)

Finally I decided to check the leg elastics against a brand new diaper of the exact kind. Whoa, Nellie! I've been buying them at different times, all new, all under one year. The first one I picked up and measured holding with no stretch against the elastic on the brand new one was 1/2 inch longer. The next one was an inch longer! The next was maybe 1 1/4 in longer!!

Why? Could it be my laundry routine? What part of the routine do you think might be causing this? I have an LG front loader and always wash on sanitary. First there is a pre wash (I don't think it is hot) with 1/4 - 1/2 c Clorox bleach. Then the sanitary very hot wash with diaper safe detergent and often a scoop of oxyclean as well. Then there are the rinses and an extra rinse. I do put the spin factor on high. Then I dry them in the dryer on medium high for about 2.5 hours. My longest dryer cycle is 1 h 39 min and it needs about 30-40 mins more to get these dipes dry.

Also, my baby is not that big. She is 25 lbs and her thighs are average so I doubt her legs are causing the stretch because when the elastic is gone she pees right out those leg holes.

Next: I loooooove these dipes. Can they be repaired? Can someone replace the elastics?

Thanks for the help. They seem very well made and they are one of the most expensive dipes. I feel I probably did something wrong so I want to know this before talking to the manufacturer.

P!nkPepper 01-06-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FulHouse (Post 16122142)
The beautiful AIO diapers I've been collecting because they "never leak" have started leaking all the time through the legs. Certain ones would leak from her first pee, lasting 5 minutes instead of 5 hours. (The longest day time they held out for)

Finally I decided to check the leg elastics against a brand new diaper of the exact kind. Whoa, Nellie! I've been buying them at different times, all new, all under one year. The first one I picked up and measured holding with no stretch against the elastic on the brand new one was 1/2 inch longer. The next one was an inch longer! The next was maybe 1 1/4 in longer!!

Why? Could it be my laundry routine? What part of the routine do you think might be causing this? I have an LG front loader and always wash on sanitary. First there is a pre wash (I don't think it is hot) with 1/4 - 1/2 c Clorox bleach. Then the sanitary very hot wash with diaper safe detergent and often a scoop of oxyclean as well. Then there are the rinses and an extra rinse. I do put the spin factor on high. Then I dry them in the dryer on medium high for about 2.5 hours. My longest dryer cycle is 1 h 39 min and it needs about 30-40 mins more to get these dipes dry.

Also, my baby is not that big. She is 25 lbs and her thighs are average so I doubt her legs are causing the stretch because when the elastic is gone she pees right out those leg holes.

Next: I loooooove these dipes. Can they be repaired? Can someone replace the elastics?

Thanks for the help. They seem very well made and they are one of the most expensive dipes. I feel I probably did something wrong so I want to know this before talking to the manufacturer.

I don't know about repair but so many of the things you list are huge no-nos in the cd world. Oxyclean is bad for elastic. Bleach all the time is too. That long in the dryerprobably isn't good either. And Sanitary cycle is horrible for PUL. I can't imagine it is good for elastic. I'm sorry about your diapers :hugs:

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k

ChihuahuaMama13 01-06-2013 11:17 AM

Re: Elastic stretched and diapers leaking! Why?

I would say the sanitary cycle is ruining them. It's highly discouraged unless you're washing prefolds or flats.

FulHouse 01-06-2013 01:44 PM

But she has been teething and her poop has been horrible. I am sure the regular hot water wouldn't be hot enough to kill germs?

I could see giving up on bleach or oxyclean or both but the hot water too?

Anyone know if the elastic can be replaced?

Magoo07 01-06-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FulHouse
But she has been teething and her poop has been horrible. I am sure the regular hot water wouldn't be hot enough to kill germs?

What brand? Some are much easier to replace than others...

abunchoflemons 01-06-2013 02:35 PM

From my understanding is elastics can be replaced. Like another mentioned its depending on how they were made will determine if hard or easy. I use oxiclean 1 scoop in each load. I use hot cold becfause from what I can tell my sanitize is the same as hot... length might differ. I'm not sure on your aio braNd but my fbos all old ones with 10 snaps are same but newer 8 snaps all vary because hand made so it will have slight variations. Huge difference from like 13 yr old dipes to the elite os. Even same 8 snaps vary.... I would just fix. Some of mine I bought all used were ones the elastics weren't ever changed on others yes.

P!nkPepper 01-06-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FulHouse (Post 16122805)

You can use hot water just not sanitary hot. I don't know about killing germs but I have used cloth on two kids and regular hot water was just fine.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k

boysniris 01-06-2013 03:43 PM

Sorry mama :hugs: I agree with the other PPs, the wash routine you're following is pretty harsh for diapers. AiOs are some of the most difficult type of cloth diapers to get clean, and your routine is a testament to that. The bleach/oxy/sanitary cycle plus very long drying time, definitely going to take a toll on elastic eventually.

My advice is to contact a mama who does diaper elastic replacement (I think yellowitchgrl is one who does this) and find out if it's doable and what the cost will be.

Then maybe consider trying a different type of diaper. Ai2s are very similar to AiOs except you can separate the absorbent part from the shell. If you really need the sanitary/bleach/oxi then run that on the inserts and wash the shells, which have the waterproof outer and delicate elastics, separately on a more gentle cycle. The shell isn't usually the stinky part anyway, it's the inserts.

nonipie 01-06-2013 04:24 PM

It sounds like all of that combined is what did it. It's a complicated routine with too many additives and too long in the dryer. I would imagine that if you were not using a "cd safe" detergent they would probably get clean without the use of all the other stuff. I see no need for that much bleach AND oxy AND the sanitary cycle. It's over kill plus that's a really long time in the dryer. If I understand correctly the sanitary cycle gets hotter than just using regular hot water.

What kind if diapers do you have? Some the elastic is easier to repair than others. Heather from Convert My Diapers does a great job and can tell you if it's an option or not. Going forward though I would get stronger detergent, ditch the oxy and Sanitary Cycle and hang dry fir part of the time.

mariamommy 01-06-2013 05:41 PM

Sanitary cycle is super harsh, I'd avoid that! A normal hot wash cycle is just fine to get diapers clean. Provided you do a good pre-rinse cycle. :D