Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Health related question (not me)... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1478570)

3 ladybugs 01-06-2013 10:57 AM

Health related question (not me)...

I talked to my mother this morning (in Florida) and she told me that Grandma (in Washington State) fainted and lost bodily functions early yesterday morning. The exact story is she woke up, didn't feel well and took a tums, then went into the kitchen for water and fainted. She woke up and had enough energy to struggle to the phone and call my aunt who lives nearby. They cleaned her up and took her to the hospital where she is staying overnight for observation.

From what my mother is saying, they can't find anything wrong with her. I can't believe how lucky she is to faint and not break anything at her age! She is 84 years old.

I am not nieve. I know she is getting up there in age, but I am close to my grandmother and my son actually knows her well (he is 4). We talk on Skype at least once a week. Is there anything I should be asking my mother to have the family ask her doctor?

My grandfather (her husband) got diagnosed with pancreatic cancer 2 weeks before I gave birth to my son. He ended up dying when my son was 5 weeks 5 days old. I never even got to say goodbye to him because I couldn't travel in that time due to my c-section. I am TERRIFIED of this happening again. I am pregnant, and while I think I could travel in a couple of weeks, I am high risk (way more then last time) and that scares me.

The doctor did clear my grandmother (and another aunt) to come down to my mom's house this week on a scheduled trip. I mean they can't find what is wrong with her so why not? I have honestly thought about driving down there with my son but that is a LONG drive from NJ while pregnant and on progesterone. Not to mention I have doctors appointments in the next 2 weeks that I can't get out of (ultrasound, and an oncologist appointment).

I should also mention that my grandmother has agreed to getting a "help I have fallen and can't get up" button. So that will help her with living alone in her house.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

leyash 01-06-2013 11:00 AM

Re: Health related question (not me)...

Diabetes?

My grandmother has insulin dependent diabetes, and she's fallen/messed herself SEVERAL times in the last few months because her blood sugar gets too low/too high. Sometimes, if it's not that bad, the person's blood sugar will regulate itself by the time they get to the ER, so it may not show signs then.

3 ladybugs 01-06-2013 12:29 PM

Thank you! I let my mom know. Hopefully I will be able to Skype with her tomorrow.

leyash 01-06-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs (Post 16122529)
Thank you! I let my mom know. Hopefully I will be able to Skype with her tomorrow.

I hope it is something that simple. My grandmother has gotten pretty stubborn about hers. She doesn't want to be put in a nursing home, so when she falls (due to passing out), she doesn't call anyone. Or she'll call, but not tell them why she's calling (that she's in the bathroom, messed herself, and can't get up). That's her biggest problem. She falls, due to fainting, due to blood sugar, and then can't get back up... so she stays there, for hours. She's been moved to an assisted living the last couple of months, but her doctor said if it happens again, she will be forced into a fully assisted care nursing home.

I hope that in this case, it's just a simple procedure like monitoring blood sugar for awhile to see if that's the problem.

Good luck and keep us updated!

CarrieMF 01-06-2013 05:49 PM

I wonder if it was a seizure with the loss of bodily functions.

leyash 01-06-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarrieMF (Post 16123753)
I wonder if it was a seizure with the loss of bodily functions.

With a seizure, I would really think that there would be SOMETHING that would show that. For example, she might have bit her tongue. Her muscles may ache due to being tense during the seizure. I would think there would be something. I could be wrong...

keen1981 01-06-2013 06:11 PM

Low blood sugar??

z2akids 01-06-2013 06:15 PM

I would wonder whether or not her blood pressure dropped - orthostatic hypotension. She may have been dehydrated.

What did they do at the hospital? I would expect iv fluids, ekg, maybe CT and MRI.

keen1981 01-06-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z2akids
I would wonder whether or not her blood pressure dropped - orthostatic hypotension. She may have been dehydrated.

What did they do at the hospital? I would expect iv fluids, ekg, maybe CT and MRI.

This happened to me. It was horrible

mg5g 01-07-2013 12:19 AM

Something similar happened to my MIL and it was from food poisoning. She was fine within a few hours of getting IV treatment but was totally unconsious and had lost all body control when we called the ambulance.